• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Ask an Autistic - What are Autistic Shutdowns?

Thanks for posting that, I myself do experience shut downs and some times the mild ones I do not realize I am even going into a shutdown. The bad ones I do end up in the fetal position where ever it happens. When I feel a shut down coming on, many times at home after a long stressful day, I will just go to bed and get under my weighted blanket. That is my safe place. Mike

i have seen this one and really thought it was very informative.
i definitely get shutdowns, and strongly relate.

thanks V :)

I either tend to escape to my bed and just sleep, or if I cannot do that, sort of go into myself and rock backwards and forwards and feel very surreal, so I guess that is not an actual shutshut; more a meltdown.

.... more a meltdown.
I used to be confused by 'meltdown'. I visualized a block of ice slowly melting.
But I think the way it is mostly used here is more like a nuclear meltdown. 30 years ago we'd probably have called it blowing up instead. So meltdown is an outburst, the opposite of shut down.

Friday arvos at work are the worst. I literally feel like a wind up toy that has reached the end of its wind. I slur sentences, feel like I'm moving in plasma and avoid eye contact. If it becomes really bad, it broaches meltdown territory.

New Threads

Top Bottom