• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Ashamed Of Having an Imagination

Riley

Does anyone else feel ashamed when they daydream/imagine stuff?

Like, I'll think about a favorite character of mine and then my brain will go: "You're too fat and weird to think about this character."

Like, I'll think about a favorite character of mine and then my brain will go: "You're too fat and weird to think about this character."
No.

As a manufacturer or engineer, it was my job to dream stuff up :D

Yeah I tend to daydream a lot and sometimes I do get embarrassed if I drift off,i am not ashamed of having a imagination.

Daydream about whatever you want! There's no reason to be ashamed of what you do in your own head. Of course, there have been times when I've thought about how happy I am that no one can read my mind. Then I think about how I can't actually prove that that's true, and how weird they'd think I am if they did know what I was thinking about. But then I decide that if someone was reading my mind then they're the ones being rude and weird so they deserve whatever strange thought they find there. And then I happily go back to whatever I was thinking about, because my mind only belongs to me and I can do whatever I want with it. Of course, then there are the times when I drift off when I should be doing something else. I do need to work on that, but that's a problem with staying focused, not with what I'm imagining. So imagine whatever you want. It's your mind; use it to do what makes you happy. You deserve it.

Ashamed? No. Feel odd and unusual? Every day. I daydream all the time. Its one of my favorite past times. I wouldn't have survived this long without a healthy dose of daydreaming.

Sounds like your imagination is judging your own self too harshly! I certainly know the feeling. You're not too "anything" to daydream about whatever you want.

Having an imagination and daydreaming is a wonderful thing. The escape afforded by imagining myself in other places and doing incredible things is what kept me sane. It separated me from the pressures of dealing with people who didn't understand me.

So, imagination and daydreaming can be a good thing, and useful, as long as you keep it under control and don't use it during inappropriate times (like driving a car). Think about any characters you want, and have them do anything you want. Enjoy.

Do any of you fear that someday the Walt Disney company will own the rights to imagination and force everybody to get a license to order use their imagination or risk being sued if you don't?

No.... though if I started having fantasies about harming people, it would worry me... but I think that these are a normal part of learning to cope and deal with strong emotions and as long as fantasy stays fantasy and it doesn't become obsessive, it's harmless.

Do any of you fear that someday the Walt Disney company will own the rights to imagination and force everybody to get a license to order use their imagination or risk being sued if you don't?

You heard about Disney buying out 20th-Century Fox, too?

So people who are neither too fat nor too weird may freely think about said character...? :confused:

No, I feel like I'm fitting into the creepy ways of Legbeards and Neckbeards and Lolcows.

depends on what "stuff" we're talking about.

Fantasy where I use a proxy character to like, hang out and interact with canon characters.

I'm not ashamed, I actually love it and are trying to get parts of it into real life.

It can be annoying at times.
I don't how many times I feel like I would actually fall over while waking in real life when my character in my daydream falls.

Opposite really. I am very glad for it and have used it numerous times in games, artwork, hobbies, etc. It also provides a diversion in tedious times.

I'm not ins school any more so I no longer have to worry about daydreaming where the teachers tried to make me stop but it was the only way I could escape from the prison I was put in. That, and and drawing cartoons or reading books I wasn't assigned to read. And I wouldn't be able to draw cartoons or make crafts or even customize characters in a video game if I didn't have an imagination.

I'm not ins school any more so I no longer have to worry about daydreaming where the teachers tried to make me stop but it was the only way I could escape from the prison I was put in. That, and and drawing cartoons or reading books I wasn't assigned to read. And I wouldn't be able to draw cartoons or make crafts or even customize characters in a video game if I didn't have an imagination.
I use to get in trouble for daydreaming in class and even had a year 4 report saying I daydream too much but I was also into drawing comics while growing up and did get pretty focused about it,I wanted to be a cartoonist but alas you can’t always get what you want.

You should be proud of it and treasure it.
Children these days are being brought up on tablets and smartphones. Those ones don't get to experience much imagination. Teens, adults, whatever... have also had their imaginative ability greatly reduced... if not killed off by the internet.
"I imagine what x thing would be like" has been replaced with:
Search engine: what x thing is like.
Agreed. Much of my imagination was developed by reading books. No pictures. I had to imagine the scenery and action in my head. I went to a lot of places and did a lot of things without leaving my room. A good book and a good imagination is just as good as an internet video. And customized the way I want it, not the way someone else wants it.

Agreed. Much of my imagination was developed by reading books. No pictures. I had to imagine the scenery and action in my head. I went to a lot of places and did a lot of things without leaving my room. A good book and a good imagination is just as good as an internet video. And customized the way I want it, not the way someone else wants it.

Not to mention that it's good for other "real world" applications, like inventing, engineering and design work. Too bad that none of the schools theses days teach you how to use it, or discourage you from using it for that matter. Maybe that's why we say STEM and not STEAM.

New Threads

Top Bottom