• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

AS and Anxiety: Top 10 Stress Mgmt Poll and Discussion

Which three of these top ten stress management techniques for Aspies help you the most?

• "Healthy compensation" - I build on my strengths and accept my flaws.

Votes: 9 36.0%
  • "Emotional nuance"-I am becoming more observant of small signals from others and acting on them.

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • "Un-sublimating"-I 'm replacing bad self-comfort behavior (alcohol, food, self-injury, drugs, etc.)

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • "Therapy"-I use or used cognitive-behavioral, dialectic, or other techniques with a professional.

Votes: 8 32.0%
  • "Parasympathetic practices"-I do yoga, meditate, or other things to calm my sympathetic system.

Votes: 13 52.0%
  • "Emotional Lojacking"-I study emotional intelligence to prevent myself from learning new anxieties.

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • "Hypersensitivity"-I identify which of my senses is most prone to overload and monitor it/them.

Votes: 12 48.0%
  • "Scanning"-I notice when I'm really focused on one thing and ask "what else should I look at?"

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • "Parsing the problem"-I think about how my other anxiety-related issues contribute to my stress.

Votes: 7 28.0%
  • "Data control"-I learn about bad mental models that set up self-fulfilling prophecies for my stress.

Votes: 6 24.0%

• Total voters
JuniperBug, how do you feel about starting a new thread with this question? I'd be interested in forward-linking to it, and if you backlink to this one, we'd have a robust background discussion and could focus your thread on our mutual interest. I was going to do this, but it's really your thought, so I'm leaving it up to you. Cheers, whatever you decide.

Definitely go for it!

I ticked "Hypersensitivity" and "Parsing the problem" because I work on identifying which things cause me unnecessary stress and eliminating them as far as possible, so reduce the chances of meltdown or overload, and I have more energy to deal with other issues which crop up and can develop my strengths.

I chose Healthy Compensation. I build on my strengths and accept my weaknesses. I've learned many years ago that if I do this, I'll be happy.

Primarily I make use of Psychotherapy which points out and teaches me to over-ride my negative thought cycles, anxiety medication (Klonipin) and the undoing and dependence of comfort items such as illegal drugs, the act of self-mutilation (Which in fact, makes me feel less anxious when I do it), (and also, yet rarely considered), the over-dependence on relationships or the lack thereof.

I just had a diagnosis very recently, so am still forming a strategy. However. A small part if what I do is draw. Here is the Mr Nastily Anxious, out of his hidey-hole, enjoying life as best he knows how. image.jpg
I hope to at least somewhat squelch his power over my life.

I chose Healthy Compensation. I build on my strengths and accept my weaknesses. I've learned many years ago that if I do this, I'll be happy.

This also reflects recent trends in HR and hiring--the idea is that you hire people based on their strengths, and consider how to balance the team's capabilities. Homogenous teams run more smoothly on an interpersonal level, but they are also found to be less resilient when things change. Things always change. Not all employers are up to speed on this thinking, but it's an argument I encourage anyone looking for a job to leverage.

Primarily I make use of Psychotherapy which points out and teaches me to over-ride my negative thought cycles, anxiety medication (Klonipin) and the undoing and dependence of comfort items such as illegal drugs, the act of self-mutilation (Which in fact, makes me feel less anxious when I do it), (and also, yet rarely considered), the over-dependence on relationships or the lack thereof.

Self-mutilation does reduce anxiety. The question, as you know already, is at what price? For example, the act of cutting reduces anxiety for people who do it repeatedly because 1) it focuses the cutter's mind on something immediate, like what will happen if he or she really does nick the artery or permanently damages a tendon. or 2) enables a change-of-state mentally through some other dynamic, or 3) provides immediate, urgent evidence that the cutter needs help and believes they won't get the attention any other way. There's probably some other ideas out there about it.

I just had a diagnosis very recently, so am still forming a strategy. However. A small part if what I do is draw. Here is the Mr Nastily Anxious, out of his hidey-hole, enjoying life as best he knows how. View attachment 15654

I've found drawing to be very helpful. One of the things my counselor has told me is that when I put myself in the picture, to make myself bigger. I'm not as small as the thing I'm afraid of. I don't think you are, either: and if we become what we look at, we should choose carefully what we see!

[QUOTE="Aspergirl4hire]I've found drawing to be very helpful. One of the things my counselor has told me is that when I put myself in the picture, to make myself bigger. I'm not as small as the thing I'm afraid of. I don't think you are, either: and if we become what we look at, we should choose carefully what we see![/QUOTE]

Indeed this is so big for me, that my new paintings are focused on what gives me joy - which right now is abstractions taken from my sketch books which are filled with figurative work, but I re-order the compositions into what for me is like a visual music. I'm weird; but looking at them makes me joyful and strong.
I'm not sure how to 'quote' properly ugh.

I just had a diagnosis very recently, so am still forming a strategy. However. A small part if what I do is draw. Here is the Mr Nastily Anxious, out of his hidey-hole, enjoying life as best he knows how. View attachment 15654
I used to keep what I called visual journals, just a sketch book which contained mostly drawings, but some writing, to-do lists, shopping lists, everything really, and I carried it with me everywhere. I stopped that practice about 10-11 years ago, which corresponds to when I started to have a lot of trouble with my life.

It has proven hard to get back in the practice, but your post reminds me to give it another try. Thanks.

I used to keep what I called visual journals, just a sketch book which contained mostly drawings, but some writing, to-do lists, shopping lists, everything really, and I carried it with me everywhere. I stopped that practice about 10-11 years ago, which corresponds to when I started to have a lot of trouble with my life.

It has proven hard to get back in the practice, but your post reminds me to give it another try. Thanks.

I'm grateful that this thread is helping.

I also like the drawing, both technically and compositionally. Do you have an album?

It's helping me, thanks again for the thread. I've begun discussing some of the techniques with my therapist. Were you addressing me, when you asked if I have an album? Edited to add: if you were asking me yes. I've a dozen or so sketchbooks of drawings and sketches, but most of my paintings stopped being painted due to stress ~ for the last two years, (long story) and/or having been sold. I am slowly building up a portfolio again. [shortest version possible]

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom