• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Are you treated differently

I'm not inclined to tell people I'm autistic unless I have to or I feel they would be understanding. There's a lot of stigma and unconscious prejudice.

I only got diagnosed a few months ago, at 39. When I used to work, before I knew I was autistic, there were one or two colleagues who treated me differently, in the sense of just dismissing and ignoring me. And there was talking about me behind my back. At another job there was something close to bullying.

But I don't feel, overall, that bullying or being treated differently has been a huge problem in my life. Mind you, I haven't worked for a long time, so I've been on my own a lot.

The bigger problem for me has been symptoms of mental illness, to do with energy. If I had more energy I'd be able to do more, which would bring me into contact with more people and maybe then there would have been more issues with being treated differently.

I applied for a course recently and had the chance to declare if I had a disability. But I said I didn't, because I don't want to be treated differently. Even with the best of intentions there can be unconscious prejudice.

It hasn't been often, but when people have treated me differently and rather like I'm some really, really special needs person...that's when I ask when they will be getting me my fast pass tickets to major theme parks.

I do sometimes get rude comments by strangers on Facebook if I comment on a public post, but all my Facebook friends I have on there have never bullied or trolled me.
That is part and parcel, apparently, of social media.
It is very common for some ppl to look for something to complain about.
It is a power game.
What else could it be?

I hate looking like an idiot that people can just pick on. Just makes me loathe myself even more. I can think of my stupid, weak, pathetic face that makes me a target and I hate it. I hate living like this.
I am sorry you are feeling that. <hug>

I was gang-stalked for around 40 years.
The first 20 years were horrendous.
The last 20 were more annoying.
But for my entire life, I was always on the outside of social interactions looking in.

Eventually, I realised I was the weird kid that ppl were talking about behind his back.
As much as I would try, I could never break into the inner circle, so I eventually gave up and became more and more reclusive.
Needless to say, I don't have a high opinion of this life system.
When I am gone, I am not coming back. :p

I never notice when someone "checks me out" on the street. If you ask me, that just never happens to me. When my sister or someone else point it out to me, like "that person was obviously staring at you", or "that cashier tried to flirt with you", I'm honestly surprised. I seem to be selectively blind. So I don't feel like I can judge this correctly.
This is very common for those on the spectrum.
I used to be like this.
These days, I am very good at picking up body language and speaking patterns.

I only got diagnosed a few months ago, at 39. When I used to work, before I knew I was autistic, there were one or two colleagues who treated me differently, in the sense of just dismissing and ignoring me. And there was talking about me behind my back. At another job there was something close to bullying.
Bingo!

Yes, I'm being treated differently - in my current job it's in a positive way, as they have put in the accommodations that I need, reduced hours, frequent follow-ups, small well defined tasks etc... it also means I don't have the same options for advancement as others, but that is not a problem for me, as it isn't what I'm seeking or capable of. I only interact with my manger at work and I work exclusively from home (most work from home at that company).

When out in public, people do look at me and children comment on me to their parents, to be honest I would look at someone like me too, I don't try to look like others, rather I try to look like me, so I don't blame them. I wear the sunflower lanyard, autism pin etc.. to show I have a hidden disability, things that makes it more easy for me to remember I'm different and show to others that I'm aware of it, I mostly feel people give me a bit more space, patience and try to help, like if I'm in a shop. I understand having others treat you differently can feel bad to some, but I'm happy they treat me differently, as it is in a way that is helpful to me.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom