• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Are you bothered by particular stereotypes?

The stereotype that annoys me is that 'all quiet people are shy or timid'. If a person is quiet, can't it mean that a person is selectively social rather than afraid to speak their mind or lacking in confidence?

Here where I live there is a commonly held belief that women can't play football. So if anyone says that, I say "have women got legs? Then they can play football."

Most of the Autism stereotypes bother me a lot. but the stereotype that people with Schizophrenia are violent and can't lead normal lives or take care of themselves annoy me so much.

When I served in the forces I could have pulled more women than you’ve had hot dinners should this have been my want.
I had to beat them back with a big stick.
I’d never considered myself that good looking :)

I can remember one train journey home in combat gear overhearing a quiet discussion from adjacent seats,

“It’s definitely a bloke, he’s in the army”
“It’s a woman, she’s got t***s and no Adam’s apple”
(That was over thirty years ago)

Ha ha, We with uniform fetishes love stories like that! I too, have had everyone after me, and often did not understand the subtle signs from women.

...and often did not understand the subtle signs from women.
Service personnel were very direct, back in the day.

Discovery Channel with uniforms.
Courtship displays and wooing may have lasted for four drinks, or your ninth pub (bar) if you were lucky.

I was relieved the days of being blugeoned over the head and dragged back to a cave were firmly behind us.

Here where I live there is a commonly held belief that women can't play football. So if anyone says that, I say "have women got legs? Then they can play football."

I believe the term Golf is thought of as ‘Gentlemen Only, Ladies Forbidden’

Here is a list of stereotypes that bother me....

I'm bothered by the idea that all brown skinned people are terrorists.

I'm bothered by the idea all brown skinned people are labelled Muslim and called a derogatory word beginning with a "P", when there is every possibility they are neither Muslim nor from Pakistan.

I'm bothered by the idea that all homeless people and addicts made a choice to live that way.

I'm bothered by the idea that all people with a criminal record can't change and live a law abiding life.

I'm bothered by the idea that all people with tattoos and piercings must be thuggish junkie criminals who can't work in a professional capacity.

I'm bothered by the idea that all people who rely on welfare must be lazy and unwilling to work.

I'm bothered by the idea that people who have different sexual preferences from the societal norm must be perverts.

The stereotype I hate is about how poor people put themselves in that position,I hate it because it is a personal issue for me and I was put in positions that was out of my control and it was one the reasons that I developed complex ptsd, another stereotype that upsets me is that kids who are abused either physically,emotionally,psychologically or sexually grow up to be messed up in the head or end up like their parents which isn’t true since I’m the opposite of my parents in a lot of ways.

Here is a list of stereotypes that bother me....

I'm bothered by the idea that all brown skinned people are terrorists.

I'm bothered by the idea all brown skinned people are labelled Muslim and called a derogatory word beginning with a "P", when there is every possibility they are neither Muslim nor from Pakistan.

I'm bothered by the idea that all homeless people and addicts made a choice to live that way.

I'm bothered by the idea that all people with a criminal record can't change and live a law abiding life.

I'm bothered by the idea that all people with tattoos and piercings must be thuggish junkie criminals who can't work in a professional capacity.

I'm bothered by the idea that all people who rely on welfare must be lazy and unwilling to work.

I'm bothered by the idea that people who have different sexual preferences from the societal norm must be perverts.
Although I agree with most of these I would say the one that bothers me most is that addicts don't want to get out of addiction. You can enjoy the drugs, but addiction is a miserable thing. I have worked with them, lived with them, and been among them. We judge addicst too quick because we can't understand them.

Also all homeless people are not addicts, just as all addicts are not homeless.

When I was at College in the early to mid 90's, I was a "Yorkie" in a College full of fellow students who were mostly from "Down South", a lot of them from North London, and I got a LOT of stick for my accent, I wouldn't mind but at the age of 17 I spoke a LOT less broad than I do now, I had to soften my accent, which has gotten stronger as I've got older.

And don't even get me started on the whole "North/South divide" issue, bloody silly Londoners who think anything North of the M25 is in another world!

When I was at College in the early to mid 90's, I was a "Yorkie" in a College full of fellow students who were mostly from "Down South", a lot of them from North London, and I got a LOT of stick for my accent, I wouldn't mind but at the age of 17 I spoke a LOT less broad than I do now, I had to soften my accent, which has gotten stronger as I've got older.

And don't even get me started on the whole "North/South divide" issue, bloody silly Londoners who think anything North of the M25 is in another world!
London is totally separate to ANYWHERE in the UK, not just the North. It is in a league of its own. The rest of the UK is forgotten about.

Although I agree with most of these I would say the one that bothers me most is that addicts don't want to get out of addiction. You can enjoy the drugs, but addiction is a miserable thing. I have worked with them, lived with them, and been among them. We judge addicst too quick because we can't understand them.

Also all homeless people are not addicts, just as all addicts are not homeless.
^^^ all of this.

I have a friend I'm helping out of addiction at the moment. Their life was totally falling apart and they relapsed. I'm glad to say they are doing really well at the moment. Wouldn't be an issue if they could moderate their usage but, as its an addiction, they find that impossible and it completely consumes them.

New Threads

Top Bottom