• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Are you bothered by particular stereotypes?

I think it's too bad that there are some stereotypes that are no longer PC. They can be fun.

Any stereotype can be harmful, as well as fun. Depends on how they're used.

Using cartoon characters to inform yourself regarding specific individuals in real life is bad. Taking what amusement you can from life, provided it's not hurting anything, is good.

I think it's too bad that there are some stereotypes that are no longer PC. They can be fun.

It is kind of weird to reminisce about something like that and then recall that it's now "taboo". :oops:

Then you realize how much time has passed and how things have changed ! :eek:

That if you're into 60s/70s acid folk or psychedelic rock like the early Pink Floyd/Syd Barrett, then you must be a real hippie into drugs and spend all your time getting high/stoned.

Hey.

Like... Progster, man. Whoa. That's such a cool avatar you have there, man.

Way out there dude. You rock.

That children are innocent. I wish people could realize that you don't hurt them just by acknowledging that they can be a-holes.

It bothers me that on these forums many generalize NTS as all the same and quite negative. Millions of humans are not “all alike” nor fit any sort of generalized stereotype.

It bothers me that on these forums many generalize NTS as all the same and quite negative. Millions of humans are not “all alike” nor fit any sort of generalized stereotype.

Get over it.

It's for convenience Imo.

In the use of language, to convey meaning with any semblance of brevity you have to start with some generalisations.

I generally take your words - which I agree with - as an unwritten assumption in these kinds of posts.

It is more about the NTs as a baseboard to convey a more specific point.
I don't think everyone needs to put a disclaimer.

But hey ,in case we forget, you can always remind us :)

Then remind us again..
:)

I don't know if this is the right forum, so please feel free to move if possible.

I was wondering, are there any particular stereotypes that bother you?

One particular stereotype that seems to bother me is that men who wear pink are automatically gay, which is false. This unfortunately seems to be heavily promoted on television, where gay male characters are often shown as wearing pink.
Where I live, it's thought that men who have cats as pets might be gay. N.B. I am fine with the LGBTQ lifestyle. I have had cats all of my life and I am not gay. I simply prefer them to dogs.

This is true. We're all unique to some degree. I get annoyed about the stereotypes that NTs come up for us neurodiverse.

Being Canadian. *loud sigh of rage* So many fricking stereotypes (Although i have apologized to the many chairs i bump into along with almost every person i talk to for everything, sometimes i've apologized for apologizing so much) though that one is actually true. But we're not maple syrup chugging, hockey stick slinging, igloo-building hosers!
Canadian Bacon (1995) was Canadians making fun of Canadians...

Where I live, it's thought that men who have cats as pets might be gay. N.B. I am fine with the LGBTQ lifestyle. I have had cats all of my life and I am not gay. I simply prefer them to dogs.

Yeah Matt and I tend to trust men who like cats, LOL!

Being Canadian. *loud sigh of rage* So many fricking stereotypes (Although i have apologized to the many chairs i bump into along with almost every person i talk to for everything, sometimes i've apologized for apologizing so much) though that one is actually true. But we're not maple syrup chugging, hockey stick slinging, igloo-building hosers! Though i will admit i keep a stuffed "pet" polar bear around just cuz. :p

Personally I hold anyone who chugs maple syrup in high esteem.

Regional stereotypes, region as in US or any country (or any province/state/etc. within said country). Yes, I live in Texas. In the US. No, I'm not simple, uneducated and in possession of a horse (or even a gun).

I understand stereotypes exist for a reason, and within the realm of banter and teasing here and there it's fine to get it out, but taking them at face value without a sliver of critical thought is another story altogether.

I hate that everyone assumes a “female” is lesbian because they look and dress like a man. Even lesbians seem to believe that.

It’s slowly changing now in 21st Century, thank goodness.

There seems to be an annoyingly silly stereotype of people from Yorkshire as people who own Whippets and Ferrets, wear flat caps and talk like this "Eeh bah gum" and stuff, well they do in Barnsley but the Dingles are all barmy anyway lol.

Last edited:
I hate that everyone assumes a “female” is lesbian because they look and dress like a man. Even lesbians seem to believe that.

When I served in the forces I could have pulled more women than you’ve had hot dinners should this have been my want.
I had to beat them back with a big stick.
I’d never considered myself that good looking :)

I can remember one train journey home in combat gear overhearing a quiet discussion from adjacent seats,

“It’s definitely a bloke, he’s in the army”
“It’s a woman, she’s got t***s and no Adam’s apple”
(That was over thirty years ago)

New Threads

Top Bottom