• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Are you afraid of NT's?

Not really. I'm only afraid of people who seem really mean, strict or nosy. Besides, I don't know many people on the autism spectrum, so I have to interact with NTs all the time. I thought I was one, just an independent and different one, until I found out I'm on the spectrum, even though I didn't know what a NT is until recently.

ahh, how can you tell if someone is? I am not, and usually people assume I am odd. I don't realize that I am though so how would I know if others are or aren't?
I use the text that on Wiki

"Neurotypical or NT, an abbreviation of neurologically typical, is a term coined in the autistic community as a label for people who are not on the autism spectrum. However, the term eventually became used for anyone who does not have atypical neurology: in other words, anyone who does not have autism, dyslexia, developmental coordination disorder, bipolar disorder, ADD/ADHD, or other similar conditions."

I wouldn't say that I'm afraid of all NTs. Like our autistic traits, I believe that neurotypical traits occur on a spectrum, so there are those that are very intense social types and those that are less intensely social. It's the ones that are very intensely social that I fear, and only because I have had many bad experiences with them. Of all groups, these are the ones that are going to notice I'm different and the only ones who will call negative attention to it. These are also people who tend to bully those who are less social or those less socially skilled, the shy and the Spectrum.
Standard NTs, those who are not extremely social, are ok by me. If I confined my options to only ASD people, I'd have very few social options. I live in a small town with no support/social options for autism spectrum adults.

NT's in general? No. Certain stereotypes? Oh yes. Actually, there are very few I'm afraid of, just have a healthy dislike toward. The ones I'm scared of tend to be cruel lowlives that use their position to get what they want from people, and have somehow brainwashed people into thinking they are infallible gods so they will attack you if you express any dislike toward them.

i'm scared of neurotypicals in general because i cant read them, and they seem like aliens. i dont know what they're really thinking. they pretend to be nice, and to like you, and then they turn out to be mean and stab you in the back, and they can be hateful and surprise you when you least expect it. i never know where i stand with them.

It might be helpful to know that we NTs can't always read each other, either. There is as much misunderstanding, miscommunication, etc. between us as what you experience from your AS perspective--it just happens a bit differently. True, we may have some advantages for processing what we see of people, but that doesn't mean all of us are good at it. A good many NTs go through life without bothering to understand other people at all, or to develop the skills to do so. Then they wonder why things go wrong.

I'm always looking for the upside, so please forgive me if this next bit is annoying. In a way, people with AS have an advantage, because you KNOW you have a problem reading others and making yourselves understood. Knowing your challenges gives you a better chance of overcoming them. A lot of NTs aren't nearly so self-aware. They expect everyone to just "get" where they're coming from, and expect they should be able to just "get" everyone else. This leads to no end of drama.

I've honestly never met a group of people as insightful and perceptive overall as the members here at AC. Your ability to express who you are, and the THOUGHT you put into things, dwarfs most NTs, if you ask me. If there's a reason to be afraid of NTs, it's that so many of us are driving blind.

I like 'em just fine when they're not around. :)

Cali Cat! You break my NT heart! :coldsweat:

New Threads

Top Bottom