• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Are you able to tell tones of voice?

Kodak

I am not able to tell tones of voice. It is as confusing as other types of ''languages'' and I often become anxious when I think that I'm being shouted out when I'm told that I'm not.

Is this something that one can learn? Or are there other ways at helping this?

N.B.
I think this post might be confusing...I hope it isn't.

Thank you for reading.
-Kodak-

Generally, yes I can. The tone of voice when someone is shouting at you is the easiest. If you are having problems then I suggest you watch a video of someone shouting/being angry and observe the tone of voice and facial expression shown. Then memorize it for the future. Sarcasm though can be a difficult one for me sometimes unless the tone of voice is clear. I can also tell surprise/shock.

I don't really have this issue with being able to tell if someone is angry or annoyed.

Although sometimes I have an issue if they are being sarcastic or not?

Sarcasm usually gets me. Sometimes I have trouble figuring out if someone is joking around or being serious.

I think that sometimes I can, but I also think I misinterpret tones of voices. The same goes for facial expressions. Often, I will think a person looks mean, when in fact, they're supposedly happy, but I don't see it that way & get scared.

I have difficulty with it. I may think someone is yelling when they aren't or tones tend to sound the same. I can tell with volume.

I think the social science of tones can be complicated. So many factors can have a crucial effect. For example, when I am very tired, I have a tone that sounds very much like an angry one, when people contact me. I am not angry, but my sleepiness factor gave my tone the sense that I was. Now, someone could be angry and shout at you, but he or she may just be angry at someone else and the mood of that just brushed off when the person addressed you. My mother, when angry at someone else, will have an angry tone to most everyone even though she is only angry at that one person. Then we have the humorous people who like to pretend to be angry just to get an aumsing reaction. The list of complications just goes on and on. I mean, the person may even be in a play where he or she is acting out a short-tempered person and decided that morning to sound angry at everyone just for practice.

I'm saying that it can be difficult to decipher one's intent behind their tone if you don't really know the person. I find that it often takes knowing the person to a degree. My father knows me well, so when I sound angry late at night to him, he brushes it off, knowing I'm just tired. If he didn't know, he'd've likely been offended. Everyone is different. I believe it just takes time to get to know people well, and when you do, you can learn how they act with their tones. I don't think their is a guide to understanding the tones of the general population. I think each person has their own social science that must be gotten used to. If a friend of mine is always laughing and joking around, being publicly-unphased by his troubles, then he speaks to me in a furious tone, I know he is likely just being sarcastic, or goofing around.

You can be an expert house designer, but that doesn't mean you can walk into any house and know just where the bathrooms are. You have to get to know each and every house. That may seem like a lot of work, but houses really don't take too long to get to know, just like spending time with a person can yield knowledge of his or her demeanor somewhat quickly. I could tell a great deal of one's personality after only one meeting. However, when in doubt, it doesn't hurt to ask. "I hope I didn't anger you," comes from my mouth often. The person might say yes, or that he or she is just tired, had a bad day, etcetera. If you spend enough time with someone, I think you'll learn how they use their tones in time, but whenever it's questionable, I can't think of any people who didn't like being asked about it. I'm not sure if this was of any use to you, but I hope things work out for the best.

Last edited:
I totally agree with Heritor...I find it can indeed be learned and each person is slightly unique, I find it easier to use a more scientific approach...first take note of a base line (generally how they greet you and others), then listen to changes in tone and see if you can relate them to what the person is saying.

In the "South" people can be really loud and domineering in conversation (proverbial "Good Ol' Boy!")...clasping your hand like they're trying to break it, and patting you back or shoulder so hard it may make you stumble. This was very scary in my youth, but it is a way some people are taught to exemplify confidence and honesty...I use to think they all hated me and were trying to start a fight. That said, you can learn tone and gestures in time...I use to just watch people interact and note the exchanges and outcomes. I also tend to mimic the person I am talking with, not so much that they think I am mocking them, just like matching their tone and some of their gestures.

Sarcasm and exaggeration are more difficult to determine, but I really enjoy sarcasm myself...when I do understand it, I find it hilarious.

Good luck.

Tones of voice are of little problem to comprehend. But as others here have said, sarcasm can be an issue. Knowing a person goes a long way in determining when to expect sarcasm.

Great point Nonsensical. I tend to have a better understanding of tone of voice with people I know really well compared to those I have only just met or have known of only a short amount of time. Those kind of social cues are not always easy to comprehend because many people have different ways of expressing sarcasm (i.e., some are quite obvious while others are more subtle).

I don't know if I can differentiate that easy. I something think I only know "neutral" and "angry" tones of voices with people. And clearly it doesn't help when I live with someone in a house who comes across as screaming angry and/or annoyed... and thus surely not "neutral".

Along those same lines I end up asking my dad who pissed in his froot loops today... and he's totally oblivious about his own tone of voice and how it comes across. He doesn't think he's loud or has that sense of anger in his voice. My mom however confirms this all the time, so it's not that I'm totally oblivous to his tone of voice. I might add (and I've told this in a thread here or there), my dad had a brainstroke about 10 years ago, and before he sometimes was a bit louder... seems that kinda stuck with him now and upped it a notch ever since the incident. So to some extent he might not be aware of it and I'm trying really hard to just stick with that and not judge him for it

I have a terrible time with tones of voice. I often find tones and body language confusing especially when they appear not to be conveying the same thing. I often feel like for example my supervisor at work has a tone that he uses that bothers me. I tend to always feel like he is angry with me or about to become angry with me. I also have something called NVLD with the Aspergers which makes it even more difficult. I have issues with people shouting or barking at me when really they say that they aren't or they are sharp with me and it brings me to tears.

I'm really bad at it. I think I'm good at it but then people get frustrated with me when I get it wrong. I have a hard time distinguishing between anger and annoyance. I have trouble sensing sarcasm as well, plus I think sarcasm is unnecessary usually. I also have a hard time distinguishing being someone just being tired and someone upset with me. Basically I'm just bad at understanding someone's tone a lot I guess.

I'm not great at sensing sarcasm either in people's voices. I get told a lot after someone has made a sarcastic joke that "its a joke, just kidding". Guess I take it too literally. At the same time I find that people don't get when I am doing the same thing so they think I'm serious when I'm not. I'm told I have a very dry humor so I guess my jokes come across as factual.

I thought I was ok at differentiating between different tones and it has caused many arguments in my house hold, such as when one of the kids are being sarcastic or just messing I would take it seriously and get cross but my partner has said they are just joking or whatever and I am adamant they are being serious. I am just starting to learn to take my partners word for it and still find myself being skeptical. I can understand sarcasm if it was said in a really over the top sarcastic way but I find the subtlety passes over my head.
Other arguments would include empathy because apparently I show a complete lack of it when anybody is upset.
Don't get me wrong though, I can tell happiness from sadness I just think its the subtle tones that I mess up on.

New Threads

Top Bottom