• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Are many autistic people prevented from learning another language?

I never struggled with language classes in school, but English was already an area of strength for me, so maybe that translated (pun intended) into a better understanding of languages, especially ones that are primarily latin-based.

Looks like fake science - I can't see anything useful that's specific to ASD at all:

Additionally, there is evidence to suggest that bilingualism can be beneficial to both autistic and non-autistic children. Indeed, a growing body of research highlights the potential benefits of bilingualism for non-autistic children in terms of sociocultural factors, including family bonds.

While comparatively, there is limited research addressing the effects of bilingualism for autistic people, in terms of cognitive skills, the literature that does exist suggests bilingual exposure does not lead to poorer development.

Howard et al. (2019) reported that bilingual children living in multilingual environments are more positive about bilingualism than their peers in monolingual settings, especially regarding social and communication opportunities linked with bilingualism.

The only claims that seem reasonable are that there's a cultural benefit if you can find the time to teach (all) children their "second" parents language. This is consistent with my own experience (EU country, local language was mother's, English taught in schools), but this is the easiest way by far to learn the father's language.
If it's a third language (neither mother's language nor the most common second language taught in schools) it's possible, but it's a lot of work.

IMO the authors need to make a much stronger case for this being worth the effort for all children, and then start looking at ASD.

BTW
It was common for culturally Chinese kids when/where I was a kid to learn to speak, read, and write "Chinese" (probably actually Cantonese there, but I don't know for sure).
Anyway the kids complained about it while we were at school (because it's a major effort), but were happy about it later.

Which suggests there is a lot of data available. yet that article is very light on data or relevant unqualified claims.

The issue for us isn't if it's possible, but the practicality of spending this much effort on language for a "non-HFA" ASD as an alternative to other areas of study/training. I'm wondering if it's a cynical attempt to get ASD-linked research funding for someone's favorite activity.

As a kid I'd have preferred learning indirect speech and intonation in my local language; local body language, and social skills. An extra language isn't a bad thing at all, but unlike those three skills, lacking a second language while young wasn't the source of any significant problems in my life,

Last edited:
I Just plan refused to learn another language, French is compulsory here in Canada I would not take it. I stopped taking English after grade ten thought it was stupid my language comprehension was measured at grade twelve level in grade 5. Still do not like interpret what does the author mean, probably why I never listen to lyrics of songs.
do not care about hidden meanings.

Last edited:
This thread reminds me of an old joke.

What do you call a person who speaks two languages? Bilingual
What do you call a person who speaks three languages? Trilingual
What do you call a person who speaks one language? American

American schools fail at requiring and teaching languages other than English as is done in many other countries. In fact, many school do a very poor job of teaching standard English.

It's a shame.

It depends who participated in the survey. Nobody from my environment has had this issue, but perhaps people from a different socioeconomic background (that isn't a large metropoly) and/or who required schooling for the disabled has had this problem.

I love learning new languages and know a couple.

Let's just say that I'm skeptical of such broad conclusions. I suspect whatever it is that may impede autistic persons from learning other languages apart from other things is likely no different from our NT counterparts. I took and passed two languages at both high school and university levels.

Though I seldom use one and the other I have no use for living where I am.

I have always struggled... I tried three different languages when I was in high school and middle school... I struggled to make it through the first year... And other than learning how to find a beer, bathroom, library, and a few inappropriate comments... I can't tell you much of anything in German, French, Spanish

Well unless you count the Taco Bell menu

I have always struggled... I tried three different languages when I was in high school and middle school... I struggled to make it through the first year... And other than learning how to find a beer, bathroom, library, and a few inappropriate comments... I can't tell you much of anything in German, French, Spanish

Well unless you count the Taco Bell menu
Reminds me of learning in college some choice things to say to people in Arabic. :eek:

I learned two languages when younger English and my parent's mother tongue Dutch which I never use. noticed I can sort of understand German watching native Dutch speakers ang others on U-tube videos. With the written stuff I did better than them. even better than the ones educated on the other language really surprised me I guess my Dutch English and superior reading skills gave me an edge. I theory I could easily learn other languages but have no interest. sort of like Paul Dirac fluent in French but never spoke it. So for use Aspies things are not as simple as others would like to think.

I learned two languages when younger English and my parent's mother tongue Dutch which I never use. noticed I can sort of understand German watching native Dutch speakers ang others on U-tube videos. With the written stuff I did better than them. even better than the ones educated on the other language really surprised me I guess my Dutch English and superior reading skills gave me an edge. I theory I could easily learn other languages but have no interest. sort of like Paul Dirac fluent in French but never spoke it.
Reminds me of a previous mod, "King Oni". He was from the southernmost part of the Netherlands and spoke Dutch and German indifferently, often traveling to the neighboring German city of Aachen. He said Germans he spoke to were often quite surprised to learn he wasn't German. Though I could see how living on any European border could foster one's ability to learn another language.

Another thing that fascinates me are Europeans who speak English as a second language either with an English accent and vocabulary or with a North American accent.

Reminds me of a previous mod, "King Oni". He was from the southernmost part of the Netherlands and spoke Dutch and German indifferently, often traveling to the neighboring German city of Aachen. He said Germans he spoke to were often quite surprised to learn he wasn't German. Though I could see how living on any European border could foster one's ability to learn another language.

Another thing that fascinates me are Europeans who speak English as a second language either with an English accent and vocabulary or with a North American accent.

I'm amused by non-Americans who were taught English by someone from, say, Alabama. It's jarring to hear someone from a foreign country speak English with a heavy southern accent. ;)

I'm amused by non-Americans who were taught English by someone from, say, Alabama. It's jarring to hear someone from a foreign country speak English with a heavy southern accent. ;)
My brother tried to learn Russian after failing Spanish some years earlier.

Compounded by an instructor who spoke Russian with a distinct Polish accent.

I live outside of Toronto, most of the people here are immigrants they all speak English with accents. To hang with the non-immigrants, we go north, east or west of the city. learning everyone else's culture but losing contact with our own. Completely surrounded by east Asians. In the rural areas good numbers of the farmers are Dutch descent.
my wife's home territory was German a lot her family eight generations. Now Chinese the city names streets and has statues of the Berzy settlers weird.

Last edited:
Four years of Spanish. Know roughly five words of it. Had and have an innate fear of forgetting how to speak English though. So probably contributed.

Spanish as far as I now has the least words in it not like English. I remember my parents had a dictionary that was 7 or eight inches thick huge.

I had two years of French in high school with good grades, but never used it anywhere else, so I never became fluent.
Spanish would have been much more useful.

My penultimate son just married a Korean woman, so we will probably start picking up some of that.

Spanish as far as I now has the least words in it not like English. I remember my parents had a dictionary that was 7 or eight inches thick huge.

Spanish borrows words from other languages, just like English does. Spanish and other languages have words for things that English lacks and vice versa. Languages often supplement their 'deficiencies' by including "foreign" words that become a standardized part of the language.

My brother tried to learn Russian after failing Spanish some years earlier.

Compounded by an instructor who spoke Russian with a distinct Polish accent.

I think there is a scene in the Robin Williams film Good Morning, Viet Nam, where his English language students speak with his American (Texas?) accent. Funny and so poignant.

These erroneous assumptions may also arise in the autistic person themselves - when facing a challenge, they may end up, due to learned helplessness, more easily give up thinking that they can't do it, when in fact the challenge is one that most people will eventually get through, with perseverance.
Wow! Thank you for that! So well put.

Learned Helplessness.

I see that so often and it breaks me heart. I have been trying to figure out how to put that into words, but you just did it for me. There are so many autistic's and even NT's that are taught helplessness so thoroughly, they consider it a simple fact of life. They live in a world of Can't. It is so sad, such a waste of life. Unfortunately, the teachers of helplessness do not know that is what they are teaching. They truly believe they are "helping". I consider it an extreme abuse.

I'm sure I would have been taught helplessness if I had been diagnosed early and if I was in a caring environment. I grew up in the world of do or die. I never knew the difference. My life was nothing but saturated struggles and frustrations, but I never learned to be helpless - I couldn't, no other option available. So, seeing people who are clearly more capable than me living in a world of can't and helplessness really breaks my heart.

One thing I have learned in life is that everyone - without exception - can always be surprised at what they can actually do. Everyone can surprise themselves. It may be hard, but hard does not equal can't. All that is needed to proceed with anything hard is a heaping dose of perseverance.

Sorry about my rant. It's just that Learned Helplessness is a rant trigger for me.

New Threads

Top Bottom