• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Architecture for the Week

Bosko

Crusader in exile
8A2A1D9B-90EF-4F14-99AE-A01B73FFD8B1.jpeg

This is the Westiminster Palace, the former parliament of the United Kingdom. It was first commissioned in 1016. Although most of the building was destroyed in a fire, it is still a staple of British architecture. Gothic Revival architecture at its finest

The city that I like for architecture is Chicago. Besides lots of striking Art Deco buildings one may find great examples of modernism by Ludwig Mies van der Rohe and Frank Lloyd Wright. A favorite of mine is The Robie House by Wright. (below)

In Chicago one may take a tour on the Chicago River with Architecture Center guides. A fun way to see some of the city.
10_ FLW Robie House.jpg

I hope you don't mind me adding one. It's a nostalgic favorite of mine

Googie

Googie architecture (/ˈɡuːɡi/ GOO-ghee[1]) is a type of futurist architecture influenced by car culture, jets, the Space Age, and the Atomic Age.[2] It originated in Southern California with the Streamline Moderne architecture of the 1930s, and was popular in the United States from roughly 1945 to the early 1970s. (wiki)

Some examples:

L.A. Airport
923fa21b8f244fb3f71f41e67afea59e.jpg

Early McDonald's
Arch2O-what-you-need-to-know-about-googie-architecture-7.jpg

It gets it name from Googie's which was a restaurant in Los Angeles

googies-1024x508.jpeg

It is famously embodied in the 1962-63 TV cartoon series The Jetsons

GoogieONE.jpg

It goes by many names including Late 19th Century Modern and Retro Futurism but the term Googie which was intended derisively originally has stuck the most. My favorite however is Raygun Gothic.

The best description I have come accross was 'The architecture of a future that never was.'

Very cool topic here. Here is the Old State House in Boston, Massachusetts. A small relic among the new giants.
(I too, hope that it is OK to add images to this thread. It was just too fascinating for me to stay quiet.)

1657559514555.jpeg

This is one of my favorites, it's a 1000 year old church. The world's northern-most medieval stone church. When you stand infront of it, it fills you with a sense of awe.

3.jpg 2.jpg 1.jpg 4.jpg

These were captured in a lodge at Seven Springs ski resort in Champion Pennsylvania USA tucked into the mountains about 55 miles from my home.

I found it interesting because it had little to no hardware holding the hand hewn beams in place.
20220212_190018.jpg

20220212_190031.jpg

20220212_190046.jpg

20220212_190113.jpg

20220212_190210.jpg

20220212_190401.jpg

Seven Springs founder has the distinction of being the pioneer of snow making equipment.

These were captured in a lodge at Seven Springs ski resort in Champion Pennsylvania USA tucked into the mountains about 55 miles from my home.

I found it interesting because it had little to no hardware holding the hand hewn beams in place.
View attachment 81514
View attachment 81515
View attachment 81516
View attachment 81517
View attachment 81518
View attachment 81519
Seven Springs founder has the distinction of being the pioneer of snow making equipment.

I like the stone work style too. Very interesting pattern, though much more difficult to build.

395FE58C-77D1-4C30-85D1-6C4ACE9C2CE9.jpeg

This is Schloss Wöffenbuttel: first recorded in 1074 and is the second older surviving castle in Germany

Here's some architecture that stands out for the wrong reasons. Imagine you are sailing up the Oslo fjord and then you are met by this sight. It's called "the Barcode", someone built those hideous things not long ago and said "yeah that looks nice". Nothing about it makes sense. Two and a half million square feet of ugly. Modern architecture... it leaves much to be desired.

1658223266839.png

Last edited:
Here's some architecture that stands out for the wrong reasons. Imagine you are sailing up the Oslo fjord and then you are met by this sight. It's called "the Barcode", someone built those hideous things not long ago and said "yeah that looks nice". Nothing about it makes sense. Two and a half million square feet of ugly. Modern architecture... it leaves much to be desired.

View attachment 81986

Omg. That just looks clunky and weird.
The same thing has happened with the Boston skyline. The buildings are tall, ugly, and ridiculous. And none of them match. The colors are also gross, they remind me of 1980s household appliances.
Like who in their right mind would think this looks good? It looks like something a two year old made with Legos.

I'm not a fan of urban areas at all, to begin with. But Boston doesn't look too good.

boston-skyline-best-views-socail.jpg

View attachment 81986
It really looks like a barcode D:

Although, from an artistic point of view I like skyscraper reflections in bodies of water...
But generally I prefer historical buildings. I also dislike those cardboard houses with loopholes that are trending as family homes. They ruin any idyllic village lol.

Last edited:
It really looks like a barcode D:

Although, from an artistic point of view I like skyscraper reflections in bodies of water...
But generally I prefer historical buildings. I also dislike those cardboard houses with loopholes that are trending as family homes. They ruin any idyllic village lol.

In the evening the lights and reflections in the water distracts you and makes it look different. But then you look at it again and think "God that looks hideous". It's like everything is out of place, like they had no plan at all, they just randomly built some stuff and tried to make it look 'modern'.

1658229271125.png

In the evening the lights and reflections in the water distracts you and makes it look different. But then you look at it again and think "God that looks hideous". It's like everything is out of place, like they had no plan at all, they just randomly built some stuff and tried to make it look 'modern'.

View attachment 81989
Even Mother Nature with her power of light is having difficulty making this look beautiful. There is a certain beauty if you really try, but otherwise yes, it feels like indiscriminate chaos.

New Threads

Top Bottom