• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

‘Anything but the phone!’: Communication mode preferences in the autism community

Phone calls are tough because the cues are hard to pick up. I can only see after the call is over, the nuances l missed. The subtle hints of tone or reading between the lines.Texting is also fraught with issues, emails seem a gentle form of discourse liken to calligraphy and a wax stamp and finally trotted off with Canterbury internet to the recipient.

It is hard to know what the non-verbal autistic child is thinking and feeling without using telepathy.

Most who work as a professional dealing with autistic children are not using telepathy. Those that do are cautious. If they want to keep their job they need to follow their training protocols.

My view of the future is that the autistics will eventually become the professions on this topic. Then we can begin to better understand what is happening and why.

John

My favorite way of communication when away from someone is instant messaging or anyone else but close friends I like this whole old school internet forum model we got going here. It's a lot less frantic and I feel less pressured to react instantly to anything. I despise using the phone or voice chatting over the internet because I am horrible at it and it feels so awkward in a way I can't describe. I'm really animated when I communicate and I rely heavily on body language and facial expressions.

Another weird thing with me is say if me and my girl friend are chatting over VC anyhow I prefer to be doing something like watching a movie/show or playing games because I just don't know what to do often as embarrassing as that is. I like activity to get the social wheels rolling and it's nothing personal with anyone either, that's just how I am in general. It's alright to just plain one on one something at home but I need something to go off of at first and over VC that awkwardness I feel gets even more pronounced.

I have never had trouble talking on the phone.
After receiving persistent scam calls, though, I no longer pick up on callers that I do not recognize.

For me, phone is easier than in-person. With a phone, the conversation is driven by continued dialogue. In person (with strangers), there are so many opportunities for an awkward silence. I am comfortable, in-person, with friends & family, though.

I am least comfortable in chat, because of my slow typing.

When I post to a thread, I can proofread and attempt to edit my content for clarity.

I've never liked using the phone.
My voice sounds flat and I need to talk at a slower pace as it seems I need time to put my thoughts into
words on a phone.

I rarely answer the phone. Only if it is someone I know. Otherwise I have a message machine
where they can leave a message and I have it on speak so if I'm nearby, I can hear who and what
they are saying. If it is important I pick it up and say Hello, I'm here.

Texting is fine for short interactions. Too much trouble for a conversation with the small keys.
I like e-mail and typing like here on the forum where I can see the post and check it before
displaying it.

In person talk depends on who it is and what it concerns.

my stroke made using the key board more difficult touch typed , now hunt and peck.
Do you have recognisable speech? if so! use the dictation feature on the onscreen keyboard,do the tutorial so the computer recognises how you pronounce words, grammar.

i tried using Siri on my cell phone last week slight slur from my tougue being still partially paralyzed, could not get it to recognize my voice. I wanted to use it to T will be a long help me with my spelling also effected by the stroke. This will be a long Haul.

@Ronald Zeeman Yes, that is a Long haul, but the more you work what was affected by stroke the better. I help people who are homebound/bedbound/wheelchair, who have and haven't pushed on that work. The ones that push daily, recover skills, the ones that do not, atrophy in many ways. I tell those I help, you're not retired due to this, rather you now have a new line of work, and it's like any other work in that you have to report in, no. matter you're in the mood or not. So keep the speech coming forward for something is going through a reconnection process in your brain, neurologically.

As for me, I do best communication wise via email and in person. Phone can present many a misunderstanding, and my talking over the other person. The exception of those who truly were/are connected with me. Then all forms of communication are a joy. Unfortunately that is few and far between.

those following my responses to the various threads should be seeing the steady improvement, less reliant on my wife would be nice to touch type again, hunt and peck sucks.

those following my responses to the various threads should be seeing the steady improvement, less reliant on my wife would be nice to touch type again, hunt and peck sucks.
do you have eye gaze (app)?you type with your eyes, I presume? a laser picks up the movement of your eye .

Phone is definitely the worst for me.
In text, I have more time to think about my word usage, and the word usage of others, and get perhaps extra meaning from that.
In person, I've trained myself to recognize a lot of NT facial expressions (although I'm still next to useless at tone of voice).

So, phone has neither the time to think, nor facial expression queues for me to make use of. It's the worst form of communication. Where ever possible, if a phone call needs to be made, I will try to get my wife to do it. lol

I tend to prefer texting to telephone or email. I screen calls, and do not answer unless I recognize the caller’s number. I do not like email because I can’t keep up with them. It takes too long browsing hundreds of junk email to find a few emails that interest me.

I recall we had a fair amount in common before went away for a year or so.

I recall we had a fair amount in common before went away for a year or so.

Indeed! I was hoping when I got back post-Covid you'd still be here. But your profile had your last seen as 6 months ago. Glad you're back too! :)

I also remember you were trying out CBT to try and help improve on some things. I was very interested to know what your thoughts were on it. Was it helpful?

Indeed! I was hoping when I got back post-Covid you'd still be here. But your profile had your last seen as 6 months ago. Glad you're back too! :)

I also remember you were trying out CBT to try and help improve on some things. I was very interested to know what your thoughts were on it. Was it helpful?

CBT was not helpful to me. I had to go through it though to satisfy my doctor.

I do not like email because I can’t keep up with them. It takes too long browsing hundreds of junk email to find a few emails that interest me.
Most email services have filters that can remove them for you.
full
I also have a different email address that I only use for contests, surveys and any other activity that is likely to end up on a spam mailing list.

Sounds like that fits a lot of peoples' experiences. Good to know. Thanks!

I did find that one of my prescription drugs, metoprolol, interacted with melatonin and prevented me from sleeping. I changed the timing of taking metoprolol from afternoon to morning, and was prescribed 25 mg Doxepin with melatonin. That has worked for me.

I also have very sensitive hearing, so I had to get a white noise device (LectroFan Evo White Noise Sound Machine with 22 Unique Non-Looping Fan & White Noise Sounds & Sleep Timer https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074FH7YQZ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_WS64HPXHPDYC2HWESKGP) to drown out other electrical sounds.

New Threads

Top Bottom