• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Anyone with a psychology background?

QxV

I'm in grad school for social psychology, and was wondering if anyone else subconsciously went down the same path in the hopes of understanding people better.

I was a psych major. Ended an English class shy of the degree. That was years ago. I'm finishing with a degree in Respiratory Therapy.

I have an Associates degree in Psychology.........yes, was trying to figure myself out more than to get a degree! Took 22 more years to figure out that I have been an Aspie all my life.........

I read a lot of Psychology books and would love to take a Psychology class. I hope to read and understand people better through psychology.

I have my BA in psychology and my Masters in social work. So yes I found that this helped me to understand people better it also helped me to understands myself better.

I had to bail out of formal education early, but I've read a lot about psychology for the reason stated. In general I liked it, but it does create the issue of "seeing too much"

I'm in grad school for social psychology, and was wondering if anyone else subconsciously went down the same path in the hopes of understanding people better.
That is exactly why i went into psychology, I knew I was one way and other people were another so i wanted to understand why we are the way we are. I'm majoring in it though i dont know yet what i want to focus on (I like clinical and counseling though) sometimes I'm worried that I'm not emotionally strong enough to counsel people with severe problems without cracking but right now I can't see myself doing anything else. psychology also helps me to be a little less afraid of people

Plus my degree really opened my eyes to how much I really want to help people with AS and HFA has teens and young adults. I also conisdered trying to find a position helping Spectrum adults because I think we all (or those of us as adults) know that services and help is not as plentiful for those that are adults.

It would either be a really good, or else a really bad idea, to have us high functioning types work with the lower functioning ones. I can't decide which.

I studied psychology for 3 years in college. Can't say I took it to understand people though, mainly just because it seemed the most interesting course. Although it was it that class someone asked if I had Asperger's, which contributed to me seeking diagnosis.

Seems to me the self-help kind of psychology would be really interesting. I mean, ways to deprogram negative ideas imposed via society and develop more self confidence.
I find it fascinating how human beings are flawed by the way we try to understand situations via patterns. We try to fit things into some sort of framework that would fit somehow and explain something. Very often we fail to see the grey areas but cling to black and white. A lot of religion or politics is really based on patterns we use to try and rationalise what we can't explain.
I did see female psychologist once and she was O.K. but back then nobody knew about aspergers.

I studied psychology for 3 years in college. Can't say I took it to understand people though, mainly just because it seemed the most interesting course. Although it was it that class someone asked if I had Asperger's, which contributed to me seeking diagnosis.

New Threads

Top Bottom