• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Anyone know of an animation app like this?

Ameriblush

Violin player.
Anyone on here familiar with apps like Flipaclip and others? They take inspiration from the old days of animation where the artist had to draw each frame of animation individually, then put the frames together and move them quickly to simulate movement. On the apps, you basically draw a frame of animation, then when you went to draw the next, you could see the previous outline of the last frame so you knew where to draw next.

I was wondering if there's an app out there that could use real life photos taken by the user to trace from and animate on top of? I have a few random drawings that I was interested in animating for fun, and I thought that would be a cool idea, I just don't know what to look for.

I know someone who might know of something like this. I'll as him.
Adding a question for you: Any recommendation for a tablet? am looking for a really good non-glitchy tablet. One that will be compatible with a macbookpro.

Have a look on Adobe.com for temporary solutions, 30 day trials of stuff like After Effects, which can be used to do exactly what you want.

Anyone on here familiar with apps like Flipaclip and others? They take inspiration from the old days of animation where the artist had to draw each frame of animation individually, then put the frames together and move them quickly to simulate movement. On the apps, you basically draw a frame of animation, then when you went to draw the next, you could see the previous outline of the last frame so you knew where to draw next.

I was wondering if there's an app out there that could use real life photos taken by the user to trace from and animate on top of? I have a few random drawings that I was interested in animating for fun, and I thought that would be a cool idea, I just don't know what to look for.

That sounds really cool.

The closest I know of would be GIMP.

You could do each frame as a single image layer with a transparency background and work with them all visible at the same time, but this would only work for line drawings before coloring them in.....

Or you could do each frame as a single image layer with a normal background color, then when you're done, use one of the smart-select (the selection by color might work well, depending on your drawings) and/or tracing tools to select the outline, copy it into a new image layer with a translucent background and keep the new outline-only layer visible at the top of the stack of image layers while working on the next frame.

GIMP can open many types of files and so you could open a photo with it, create a transparent layer on top of the initial photo-image layer and trace whatever you like. (If you want a non-transparent background you can just create a new image layer with a non-transparent background underneath the tracing layer and do "merge down")

When you're done you can play all the image layers as an animation at different speeds.

Don't know if this would work for you or if it would be too fiddly. (Also I am not sure how much the functionality of GIMP varies between operating systems -- I've only used it on Mac OS X and Linux variants.)

Last edited:
That sounds really cool.

The closest I know of would be GIMP.

You could do each frame as a single image layer with a transparency background and work with them all visible at the same time, but this would only work for line drawings before coloring them in.....

Or you could do each frame as a single image layer with a normal background color, then when you're done, use one of the smart-select (the selection by color might work well, depending on your drawings) and/or tracing tools to select the outline, copy it into a new image layer with a translucent background and keep the new outline-only layer visible at the top of the stack of image layers while working on the next frame.

GIMP can open many types of files and so you could open a photo with it, create a transparent layer on top of the initial photo-image layer and trace whatever you like. (If you want a non-transparent background you can just create a new image layer with a non-transparent background underneath the tracing layer and do "merge down")

When you're done you can play all the image layers as an animation at different speeds.

Don't know if this would work for you or if it would be too fiddly. (Also I am not sure how much the functionality of GIMP varies between operating systems -- I've only used it on Mac OS X and Linux variants.)
I kind of like the sound of that. I' willing to learn it if I have some extra time on my hands.:)

New Threads

Top Bottom