• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Anyone interested in virtual reality?

Southern Discomfort

Smarter than the Average Bear
V.I.P Member
I've been following it for about a year now closely. I've decided to purchase an oculus rift which is getting delivered between the 8th and 16th of June now and I'm really looking forward to it. I've got a host of games I'm waiting to purchase in the summer Steam sales including Outlast and NoLimits 2 - a roller coaster simulator game which I'm gonna make my old folks try out :D.

Anyway, what's your thoughts on it? Do you really want one but the price is just way out of your reach right now? Do you think it's a fad like 3DTV was? Or are you like me and it's just a matter of time before you get one now?

It might be a bit problematic not seeing your keyboard though in virtual space. Although for the most part someone whose spent enough time on a keyboard knows their way around it.

If they do VR on Xbox One I might possibly look into it if it gets decent reviews and isn't ridiculously expensive, but knowing MS it probably will be.

I think it's more of a question of when will they do it. They've clearly stated that it's something on the roadmap. But it could be exclusive to project scorpio for all we know. And that's going to cost probably about a thousand pounds plus, if they want to do 4k gaming on it.

Having gotten my oculus rift now I can say that there is a lot of potential for games there, although the hardware could do with an iteration or two; the screendoor effect is quite noticeable. And motion sickness is still a problem that needs to be dealt with. But it's good.

Fallout 4 is getting the VR treatment, I just want more current titles to get update with it.

Ny main objection to it is that I don't have £500-1000 to buy a 4K TV to take advantage of it, and even if I did knowing me I'd refuse on principle to upgrade just for the sake of VR which I'd almost never use.

Ny main objection to it is that I don't have £500-1000 to buy a 4K TV to take advantage of it, and even if I did knowing me I'd refuse on principle to upgrade just for the sake of VR which I'd almost never use.
You don't need a 4K TV to use VR.

Though you do need motion controls to take full advantage of VR software including PSVR.
VR is the second coming of motion controls.

-----

VR is interesting, but way too expensive for my blood.
I, like most people wouldn't use for long sessions, thus not getting our monies worth.

I see VR Gaming being as niche as Linux gaming, as in only a handful of dedicated fans will buy the games while all major developers jump ship due to a lack of sales (this is why Mac, Linux and Nintendo consoles do not get the backing of 3rd parties).

Take Two, Activision, EA and Ubisoft (the 4 biggest 3rd party game publishers/developers) say VR in gaming won't do well enough to warrant major support.
3rd parties including EA are only developing a few PSVR games because Sony is funding the development costs for 3rd parties.
If Sony wasn't funding 3rd party development for PSVR games, very few would make games on their own.

Microsoft said Scorpio will run VR as long as the VR headset is made for Windows 10.
Scorpio is expected to run full Windows 10, and Xbox One/ One S run a form of Windows 10.

VR is better situated for Engineering, Space Exploration, Medical sciences, other sciences... Gaming, Movies, TV, Books etc.. aren't at good fit for VR.

VR will be niche with hardcore supporters claiming it's the next big thing every year.
VR will not become a mass market product
VR will go the way of 3D TVs, 3D Movies, Smart TVs, Streaming boxes, Steam Machines etc... (You can still get all these products).

VR will be outsold by other niche products such as Smart Watches (already sold a few million, though mostly Apple Watches), Windows Phones (Microsoft sold off Nokia Hardware division due to bad sales), new Blackberries Phones and Leapfrog tablets.

Or I'll put this simple way: People hate wearing glasses and don't wear them properly for the most part, They don't like taking their medication and most don't take their medication properly... Yet you want them to wear VR for hour + sessions?

I'm not saying VR is a fad or will fail, I'm saying it will just carve out it's own niche.

P.S. Oculus Rift has DRM now for it's games to prevent you from playing them on other VR sets.
Other VR makers are following suit with DRM as well.

HTC Vive is made in conjunction with Valve and is expected to have full Steam support.

Anyways hopefully you enjoy it and your PC is powerful enough to full run it.

I've heard it may be helpful for treating certain mental health conditions. For that reason only I'd be interested. For entertainment I don't think it's worth it.

New Threads

Top Bottom