• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Anyone interested in a mysteries thread?

it’s fiction, three girls disappear ,one is found unconscious and ill , The author also said after that novel that the girls passed through a crack in the rock and entered another world , it’s supposed to be based on the disappearance of two girls in Australia in 1800 .

A Peter Weir film with Helen Morse in the cast. Great mystery although agreed, total fiction. I always think of Helen Morse from the film "A Town Called Alice".

In terms of the greatest mysteries to me, the first one I usually think of is whether or not the last prisoner of Spandau Prison was actually Rudolf Hess, or an imposter who may have been murdered by Britain's SAS for reasons of secrecy and national security.

And it is interesting to see that not everyone is accepting Jeffrey Epstein's death in prison recently ruled as a suicide. Some events can indeed prove to be great mysteries...o_O

Last edited:
I've always been intrigued by mystery. Especially unsolved murders. Who did it is something you have to wonder as well as what happened.

They say that truth is stranger than fiction. I tend to agree. I like the stories on TV that present a crime (usually murder), that has a long and involved investigation that ultimately leads to the perpetrator. It's interesting to see what forensic science can do and how a smart detective can uncover suspects and motives.

They say that truth is stranger than fiction. I tend to agree. I like the stories on TV that present a crime (usually murder), that has a long and involved investigation that ultimately leads to the perpetrator. It's interesting to see what forensic science can do and how a smart detective can uncover suspects and motives.
If you haven't already you should watch Mindhunter - about the foundation of the FBIs psychology unit. It and the book.that inspired it are brilliant.

If you are interested in the early 1960s ,you could watch the Dr Blake mysteries ( Broadcast by ABC Australia originally )on PBS it depends what state you are in when it is broadcast

Just as a note: I'd strongly suggest completely avoiding anything that enters into political or religious territory, in a thread like this.
It does have a specific forum for that and I have avoided that forum for a good reason :p

it’s fiction, three girls disappear ,one is found unconscious and ill , The author also said after that novel that the girls passed through a crack in the rock and entered another world , it’s supposed to be based on the disappearance of two girls in Australia in 1800 .
Fiction or non-fiction as I recall (decades ago) I wanted so badly to know something more concrete about their fate.

Fiction or non-fiction as I recall (decades ago) I wanted so badly to know something more concrete about their fate.
I saw clips of it but heard it was scary so didn’t watch it just looked it up on the search engine the other day

A Peter Weir film with Helen Morse in the cast. Great mystery although agreed, total fiction. I always think of Helen Morse from the film "A Town Called Alice".

In terms of the greatest mysteries to me, the first one I usually think of is whether or not the last prisoner of Spandau Prison was actually Rudolf Hess, or an imposter who may have been murdered by Britain's SAS for reasons of secrecy and national security.

And it is interesting to see that not everyone is accepting Jeffrey Epstein's death in prison recently ruled as a suicide. Some events can indeed prove to be great mysteries...o_O
From what I know of the British Army at the end of the Second World War they either put them in prison or murdered them straight away

I saw clips of it but heard it was scary so didn’t watch it just looked it up on the search engine the other day
It was scary but it wasn't that you ever saw much, you know. It didn't have 'horror', it was just creepy and suggestive and awful how they disappeared. That's how I remember it, anyway.

From what I know of the British Army at the end of the Second World War they either put them in prison or murdered them straight away

Rudolf Hess was one of the twenty-two top Nazis to be tried at Nuremberg by a cooperative judicial effort of Britain, France, United States and the Soviet Union.

What made Rudolf Hess' case so interesting was that in 1941 he attempted without any authorization from Hitler to negotiate an armistice with Britain. With the hope that Britain would join Germany against the fight against Bolshevism in Russia. Meanwhile the Nazis just assumed that Hess was slowly losing it psychologically.

The most basic controversy was the question of whether the man who was sent to be tried at Nuremberg, was actually the real Rudolf Hess. The man who would eventually prove to be the last prisoner of Spandau. Where he would allegedly end his own life. Was it suicide, or murder?

Some people believe that the British may have actually entertained the idea at the time, and turned Hess down. That he may have been murdered by the British as a security precaution. Others believe that Hess was killed by Russia's NKVD to prevent this from happening. And that they had replaced the man in British custody with one of their own agents.

Why would Britain murder this old man in Spandau Prison? Look at the wealth former Spandau prisoner Albert Speer accrued after his release. Had it been agreed to release Hess, it might have been diplomatically disastrous for Britain had he told the world that he was an imposter.

The problem is or was that at a point in time, Britain maintained confidential archives on all this. Much like they did regarding the Guildford Four defendants. That it remained a matter of record in the archives that the Guildford Four were in fact innocent and the law knew it. And how their lawyer eventually tricked archive monitors into giving her the confidential documents that would free all four of her clients after years of incarceration. Oops.

Only in this case, a gifted scholar was given unique access to these archives for historical study. And that he stumbled onto information that he clearly wasn't supposed to see. Archive monitors physically threw him out when they discovered the information he was accessing. Oops. How do I know about all this? Because that young gifted student became an old man and a tenured university professor who made a point of discussing this incident with his Russian history students. I was one of them.

Imagine the reaction of the Russians had they learned many decades later that Britain seriously considered war with the Nazis against Russia. Even today it would not have gone over well with the Russians, given their relationship with Britain ain't so good. The fact that Britain turned Hess down probably wasn't much consolation to Stalin, who didn't trust Britain or the United States or anyone else as an official ally.

How's that for a mystery? A cool one at that. :cool:

Why hasn't anyone made the movie, even if for fiction? Maybe some folks won't even put up with that. ;)

Last edited:
It was scary but it wasn't that you ever saw much, you know. It didn't have 'horror', it was just creepy and suggestive and awful how they disappeared. That's how I remember it, anyway.
I know but I’m very sensitive to that I didn’t have the perfect childhood I think that opens you up to being very sensitive

I know but I’m very sensitive to that I didn’t have the perfect childhood I think that opens you up to being very sensitive
Oh, yes - sorry. I wasn't trying to disagree or say you should watch it. Just saying it really was scary and describing in what way.

Oh, yes - sorry. I wasn't trying to disagree or say you should watch it. Just saying it really was scary and describing in what way.
I didn’t think you were I just know people have different descriptions of the word scary and different levels of what’s scary is

Yes, I watch unsolved mystery videos on YouTube. This one is fascinating. Did she overdose or did someone off her?

New Threads

Top Bottom