• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Anyone have a need to smell everything?

nyxjord

I know this is probably really random but does anyone else sniff almost everything that comes near them? I always do, especially when I've just bought something or am about to. For example, I always smell shirts and other clothing right after I've bought it. However, I also smell things like my normal clothes and scarves... And also things like the fish food before I'll put it into the tank.. And I always smell books... And just now, I smelled my deodorant when it was almost out.. Anyway, it seems to be part comfort thing and part need to know and be familiar with the smell of everything and also part protective (having the right vs wrong smell).

Oh and I've always be an over smeller- since I was a child. Anyone else have this habit?

Glad to know I'm not alone! I've never been made fun of, but apparently it's pretty noticeable and more than 1 person has mentioned that I do it. Any idea what it's from? Or why we do it?

I just need to, always have done it. I know it gives me valuable information but I am not able to put into words. I control it for the most part when not alone such as at stores, etc.

Is that how it feels to you too, that it gives info. that is beneficial?

I just hate the idea of having an "elevated" sense of smell. These days I often find myself rationalizing that I may be experiencing some kind of "olfactory hallucination" on occasion. I just never know. :confused:

Not to mention that hay fever complicates it all...:eek:

Last edited:
When I was a a young kid, I liked to smell the inside of my Dad's cigarette packs.
Sometimes strangers will smell really good (maybe it's the personal care products they use) and I will discreetly sniff in their vicinity. That happens a lot with old women.
Does that make me weird? [emoji12]

I sure do. It's another one of those things that always attracts gawkers, so I know that I'm doing it! Otherwise I don't think I'd notice that I do. It's usually something I do fleetingly!
The exception being right now at this time of year where everything is blooming and deliberately soak up the atmosphere... or near bakeries.

I don't see anything wrong with it at all.
Lots of good scents out there - some bad ones too, but it's a valuable sense that we have so keep it strong by using it ;)

Very strange thing that - I dislike very much people smoking around me, but have always loved the smell of unburnt tobacco o_O

Burned tobacco is different from unburned tobacco.
It has gone through a changing process.
Food retains some similarity to what it was before it was eaten,
but at the end of the digestive process, it smells different, too.

I was wondering how I was going to get that idea across
without using the word s**t.

Burned tobacco smell/smoke or old cigarette butts/ashtray smell vile to me.
I remember my grandpa's cigarette packages. They smelled sweet.

Last edited:
I don't think I feel the need to smell literally everything but I do enjoy smelling alot of things and there are some things that I compulsively smell. I think think there are three reason why I want to smell something

1) it connects me to a feeling or experience from the past
2) a desire to fully experience the object
3) a desire to experience the poetry of aroma

New Threads

Top Bottom