• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Anyone else terrified of driving?

kbb0

So I'm 25 about to be 26 in two months and I don't have my drivers license. I've been doing fine without it by riding my bike and using public transportation, but I'm trying to get a job which requires me to drive and own a car. I took drivers ed in high school and I did relatively well (except for one time I backed into a parked car) but it just terrifies me, especially since my most recent attempt at driving again. I have ADD, sensory processing disorders, and some mild spacial awareness issues and my worry is that these things will make driving unsafe for me and the people I share the road with. It was very difficult for me to focus on all the things your supposed to focus on while driving and just made me very anxious.

I was wondering, does anyone else with similar problems drive and how did you overcome them? Does anybody else get anxious at the thought of being behind the wheel?

I am in the same position with being scared of driving, with only difference being that I never took Driver's Ed in High School. Making up for this is the fact that I have family members that have always had to take me to where I need to go, even for small things.

My reason for never having been comfortable with it goes back to when I was younger, when as a kid my family got into two car accidents, and then somewhere in my teenage years, my mom and I, having left my dad and brother back at an office he worked at a long time ago, got into a third one. I vaguely remember the first one, barely remember the second one, but the third one I can still play out in my mind clearly. These incidents, combined with how I have always seen people drive on the road in general, ended up scaring me away from bothering at all.

Lately, however, I have been giving it serious thought to getting a motorcycle one day, and if I can get a new phone, I would look up routes avoiding highways altogether. I want to get a motorcycle because I think I would be more comfortable with one than I would in getting a car, and, hopefully, when I do get it, I will be able to feel much more freedom, rather than waiting for one of my family members to taxi me around and being able to go somewhere when I want to. Right now it is all a fantasy, but I was planning on talking to my parents about it to see if we could come up with some sort of plan.

I have panic disorder and driving on the highway is a trigger for some reason. So I've become rather afraid of driving, especially on the highway. I also have sensory processing issues so that might be partly related. I guess I don't have too helpful advice because I basically just avoid the highway now. It can help to just take it 5 seconds at a time and focus on that length of road at a time, that is a coping mechanism I have for all sorts of things.

I took drivers ed in high school and I did relatively well (except for one time I backed into a parked car) but it just terrifies me, especially since my most recent attempt at driving again.

Understandable. However it does sound like your problem is more a matter of your own fear more than driving itself. It just might be that the more you practice, eventually the less you will experience fear. Something I came to terms with in struggling to learn to drive a stick-shift.

Of course it's no secret that operating a motor vehicle carries risks. So you don't want to lose all that fear. Just enough to eventually become relatively comfortable behind the wheel. So in time you can become confident, but also cautious.

I was wondering, does anyone else with similar problems drive and how did you overcome them? Does anybody else get anxious at the thought of being behind the wheel?

Always, I don't like driving. But I have to. I've never had an accident, but as a child I was in several and as an adult too. Nothing too serious, mainly fender benders as a child and eventually two serious ones with a drunk driver and a person who lost control of their car.

Have had three cycling accidents this year, where I was distracted by being cut-off twice at different times. It's as if I lose my ability to concentrate under extreme circumstances. Things happened so fast that I didn't have time to process them. That scares me, and that disassociation doesn't seem to improve. Hopefully I'll get used to the way it was before when I drove in my twenties.

Last edited:
Something to keep in mind, and I know this isnt going to sound very good, but it is important:

If you find yourself getting really scared when you're getting behind the wheel... dont drive. Why? Because it's a type of distraction, and a nasty one at that. You're much more likely to make a mistake in that state.

You need to build yourself up to something like this SLOWLY. For example, when I originally learned to drive, I learned it in mostly empty parking lots. Nice and slow, so if I did hit anything, it'd be a light "bonk" rather than a full crash. Doing this until you've gotten comfortable with controlling the car is a very good idea. After that: Blank country roads, preferrably. The sorts of backwoods roads that nobody ever seems to use. This lets you learn to move faster, without having to worry about piles of traffic. It's also much less annoying.

If you do live in a crowded area, consider finding someone who is willing to take you to places such as these. They are safe places to learn and practice.

One way or another, there's no way around the fact that driving is dangerous. People tend to underestimate it. I've been driving since.... 1998, I think it was. I seem to spend alot of time in the car. But back then, I sure wasnt perfect. And since then, I have indeed had a couple of accidents. One was because of ice, because screw winter. Another was my own fault, and a third was because some blazing moron put some gigantic bushes in a seriously awkward position at a particular intersection... I remember the police guy telling me "Yeah, we've had just one crash after another at this exact spot" and I'm thinking.... Just get rid of the freaking bushes and it wont happen anymore! I never got hurt in these (except one where the airbag deployed, and scorched my wrist a bit due to friction, but that was mostly just annoying), but the cars sure did. One crash was like something out of a comedy reel; I ended up taking the car to a repair place afterwards... but the front part of it, the big that has the headlights on it, had been torn off (wheras the internal metal parts or whatever they're made of, which are the actually sturdy bits, were fine... it seems to be the outermost parts that are easily damaged, which is probably why cars can be dented by really stupid things like shopping carts) and was sitting idiotically in the backseat. Must have looked absurd. Another crash simply demolished a different car I had at the time.

But I remember a very important saying that someone taught me as I was learning: "If you fall off the horse, you have to just get right back on, right away". And that's true. You cant go around all the time constantly worrying about what MIGHT happen even if something has already happened. Just learn from any experiences you have, positive or negative, and you'll do fine in the end.

Just... dont go near highways/tollways until you've had alot of experience. Trust me on this. Even some people that have been driving for a long, long time avoid those like the plague. But something like country roads? They're fine. As long as you watch the weather, they're downright pleasant places to go. I sometimes go wandering around them just for the heck of it, finding new roads just to see where they go (I have my phone, AKA my magical talking map, for if I get lost, so it works out nicely).

Yeah, it's scary at first, and driving is inherantly dangerous in some ways... but so are so many other things that we often do frequently. Learn slowly, practice in easy places, drive safe, follow the rules, and really, you have little to worry about. NOT doing those things is what causes the majority of crashes.

And you'll learn to deal with the sensory bits in time. Honestly, I think EVERYONE gets a bit overwhelmed at first, with having to deal with loads of stuff at once... it aint just people with autism. Equally, things like issues with depth perception and that sort of stuff can also affect anyone. But to some degree, it's not necessarily a problem with you... some of it is just inherant to learning these things. I had a bit of that issue at first too. But now? Not only is the issue gone, but I know *exactly* where every part of the car is in relation to the road. I remember one time, I come around this corner to find a huge pile of... some sort of tiny animals. Must have been crossing the road. No time to stop, so instead I simply moved somewhat to the side, putting the left tires BETWEEN the animals (they were more than small enough to very easily fit under the car) and the right tires PAST them. Indeed, I did not hit any. They all were unhurt. That's how accurately I know it at this point, and I have just as many funky sensory issues and such as anyone else here. If I can learn that, you can too.

Whatever you end up doing, good luck to you. You'll get it eventually... just be careful, take it slow, and dont give up.

Last edited:
I've always had anxiety of driving. I didn't take drivers ed in school. I waited until I was 22 and had private training.
Having panic attacks since age 13 is my main reason I fear driving. Therapists have given me alot of coping mechanisms for driving, but, every time I get in the car I have a wave of anxiety that makes me hyperventilate or feel tight in my throat.
I have to drive almost every day, but, this anxiety always hits even if I don't think about it. Usually it gets better as I go along and by the time I get to where I am going it is past. It's a worry to me that I could go into a full blown panic attack or pass out from the hyperventilation. But, I haven't. Although I have had a few panic attacks I've learned to pull off the road for a few minutes until I work through it.

I can love driving back roads at times, just exploring and seeing what I can find. But, like most of the posts, I hate highways and bridges. I've had to do highway driving though long distances and it's so stressful I'm totally exhausted after.
I just try to keep to the back roads with fewer cars whenever possible. I like to take it slow. Being stuck in the middle of four lanes of traffic going by like I'm sitting still isn't my idea of fun.

Currently living on the west coast of Florida with a Cat 5 hurricane coming, I'm really stressed out. The man I live with is talking about fleeing up towards Georgia if it starts heading our way. Yipes. Staying and facing it is scary too. :(

I was terrified when I got a wonderful chance to have a few lessons. I live in France ( from the uk originally) and they have cars that you do not need a licence for and it was for one of these, that I had a few lessons in.

It was a very scary experience, but very exciting too and I was completely aware of my extreme limitations and that I cannot multi task, but I was driving an automatic and my "instructor" said that with practise I would be a very good driver, but I must stick to automatic.

On the face of it, with so much against us for being a dangerous driver. In fact, it could well work the other way, because of self awareness. If you KNOW you can be a danger on the roads, then you are more careful to look for danger. It is peope who do not have this issue, are actually more dangerous.

I keep saying that it looks so complicated, but told that with practise, it gets easier and many who are told they could never drive, with the right instructor, they are able to learn.

I NEED to be mobile and so, just have to find a way around it.

I love driving, what freaks me out the most is going somewhere i haven't been before, or congested cities where traffic patterns are complexe, all made really worse when other people are in the car.

Tips:
- explore the routes before having to do them for work, that way time is not a stressor and you have time to absorb and understand the route
- get used to gps instructions (maps, indicators and verbal instructions, recalculating the route, also decide what info you want the gps to give you so that you have enough info but are not overwhelmed)
- go alone, remove the stress of others in the car, turn off your phone
- turn off the radio, listening and focusing on driving can be tiring and distracting
- identify choke points and at what time they become relevant, adjust timing accordingly
- if you leave late, arrive late, you can't make up for lost time
- if on an exploration run, identify a parking lot near public transport, save it in your gps, so if you are too exhausted to return, you can take public transport home, and drive back the next day

Find an experience driving instructor. After a few lessons they can tell you if they think you're safe enough in order to drive.

I went from being a total nervous wreck learning to drive, to driving hgv1 and motorbike, lorries where easy when I got the hang of it, which is the same for every lorry driver, as you can see more, drive slower and dominate the road, and is great for the ego.

I read The Stiggs book on driving by Ben Collins, always interested in advanced driving, which is a stupid name for it as it's about awareness and smooth progressive driving,, making you a safer more relaxed driver, less surprises!

It's very sensory, I also have Adhd and myers-irlen syndrome and what feels like various add ones.

Ridding a bicycle on the road, no chance, scares the crap out of me, way too much going on, way too dangerous for me and I like extreme sports.

So I'm 25 about to be 26 in two months and I don't have my drivers license. I've been doing fine without it by riding my bike and using public transportation, but I'm trying to get a job which requires me to drive and own a car. I took drivers ed in high school and I did relatively well (except for one time I backed into a parked car) but it just terrifies me, especially since my most recent attempt at driving again. I have ADD, sensory processing disorders, and some mild spacial awareness issues and my worry is that these things will make driving unsafe for me and the people I share the road with. It was very difficult for me to focus on all the things your supposed to focus on while driving and just made me very anxious.

For me it was practice just plain practice I don't drive too exhausting and painful

With all my nightmare issues... driving seems to actually help me instead of hurt me (in most cases).
I have no idea why. A lot of times when I am upset I just get in the truck, or car and roll until I am settled down. Maybe I just love cars so much that my brain just lets me be free in this instance.

Heavy traffic, new place... not so much. If someone is with me that knows the territory I will gladly let them drive. Well maybe not gladly, but I can have my panic attack in peace in the passenger seat.. : )

Recently I was pulling 40 foot enclosed car trailer through Houston at rush hour and I got pretty upset.
Its a really long experience and not just a few minute thing. What scares me most is when people fly past you, and jump in front of you, when all the people are already slamming on their brakes.

I have no idea why people do this... It causes horrible crashes because it gives the person they just passed no warning and no time to stop. Luckily I'm not there too much so its all good. San Diego rush hour scares the snot out of me sometimes. I just try and regulate my drive times around the worst times on the major roads. I will go work out or do my extra paperwork, or get some groceries and then hit the road when its not total insanity.

Here at home, (in the middle of no where) there is no rush hour, no red lights, no resident highway patrol, and basically no speed limit unless you just want to run the posted 75mph, which means whatever... : )

Whats even crazier, is that I can drop into a drag car and rip that thing down a drag strip at 140-160+ mph and get a rush instead of a panic attack. I cant multitask in normal life to save my butt, but I can do all the countless things needed to run a drag car... Its like the one time I can truly focus... Of course we are in a controlled out of control situation. The car is safer than any car on the road. Its built to do what I am doing with it, and people are seconds away if something goes wrong.

Driving is like my freedom, fast driving, really fast driving its like a drug...
and NO I don't do drugs, or drink alcohol : )

I was terrified when I got a wonderful chance to have a few lessons. I live in France ( from the uk originally) and they have cars that you do not need a licence for and it was for one of these, that I had a few lessons in.

It was a very scary experience, but very exciting too and I was completely aware of my extreme limitations and that I cannot multi task, but I was driving an automatic and my "instructor" said that with practise I would be a very good driver, but I must stick to automatic.

On the face of it, with so much against us for being a dangerous driver. In fact, it could well work the other way, because of self awareness. If you KNOW you can be a danger on the roads, then you are more careful to look for danger. It is peope who do not have this issue, are actually more dangerous.

I keep saying that it looks so complicated, but told that with practise, it gets easier and many who are told they could never drive, with the right instructor, they are able to learn.

I NEED to be mobile and so, just have to find a way around it.

To me its kind of like an extension of me. I get to know what I am driving and sort of become a part of it.
At that point you go from being afraid to being free...

You can do this : )

I've always had anxiety of driving. I didn't take drivers ed in school. I waited until I was 22 and had private training.
Having panic attacks since age 13 is my main reason I fear driving. Therapists have given me alot of coping mechanisms for driving, but, every time I get in the car I have a wave of anxiety that makes me hyperventilate or feel tight in my throat.
I have to drive almost every day, but, this anxiety always hits even if I don't think about it. Usually it gets better as I go along and by the time I get to where I am going it is past. It's a worry to me that I could go into a full blown panic attack or pass out from the hyperventilation. But, I haven't. Although I have had a few panic attacks I've learned to pull off the road for a few minutes until I work through it.

I can love driving back roads at times, just exploring and seeing what I can find. But, like most of the posts, I hate highways and bridges. I've had to do highway driving though long distances and it's so stressful I'm totally exhausted after.
I just try to keep to the back roads with fewer cars whenever possible. I like to take it slow. Being stuck in the middle of four lanes of traffic going by like I'm sitting still isn't my idea of fun.

Currently living on the west coast of Florida with a Cat 5 hurricane coming, I'm really stressed out. The man I live with is talking about fleeing up towards Georgia if it starts heading our way. Yipes. Staying and facing it is scary too. :(

Susan... I dont hink hurricane Irma is something to even think on... If you are anywhere close to where it is to make landfall PLEASE get out of there... The harsh reality of Hurricane Harvey is just really sinking in with my family and friends... Many had nothing left to go home too. I used to live in Port Aransas and its being called a total loss. Its sad, but your life is worth more than your stuff. Be careful and keep us posted. : )

I understand how you feel. I was 19 when I finally got my license. I was terrified of driving then, but my parents said it was necessary to be able to drive myself around. Now that I'm in my 40's, I'm not terrified anymore, however I feel uneasy about it. My night vision sucks, because streets look alike in the dark. I'm a poor judge of distance too. One time I had to work during the Thanksgiving holidays at night and it was rainy, I almost drove into the median. I drive when I absolutely have to.

Here's the weird thing about me. When I get behind the wheel of a car. I have no problem driving at all. In fact, I enjoy doing it. It's when I'm not behind the wheel is when I get a lot of anxiety attacks about driving. Weird isn't it?

To me its kind of like an extension of me. I get to know what I am driving and sort of become a part of it.
At that point you go from being afraid to being free...

That's why I prefer manual transmissions with performance suspensions and steering. To be able to "feel" the car based on the slightest action I make as the driver. Many cars are designed quite the opposite...which I loathe. Though I suspect a great deal of people out there prefer as if they were riding on a magic carpet...lol. Whatever. :p

Last edited:
In my test for a driver's license I almost caused a car crash when my car was about to pass a railway and I realized that I must show the inspector beside me that I was aware of the crossing railway so I pushed the breaks heavily. The inspector got terrified and looked back for the expected collision with the car behind but there were no impact.
Against all odds, however, I received my driver's license.
I drove many years without problems, but now at the age of 55 I will never ever drive again.

New Threads

Top Bottom