• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Anyone else feels like they are "coping" when doing things alone? Can I make the feeling go away?

Charmander98

Hey every few weeks im home for a few days. At home I dont have any friends sadly I never connected with anyone,
but I have accepted it.
I spent way to much time of my childhood Infront of the computer so I try to head out. I do hikes, beaches, go see movies alone, try climbing gyms ect. I somewhat enjoy it but
Every so often I get a overwhelming feeling of sadness, isolation and loneliness (and calling myself a loser coping), when doing those things alone. Either while doing it or when I see strangers enjoying together.
Anyone has any tips of how to overcome that feeling and just have good time by myself?. Thanks and have a great weekend :)

Last edited:
Honestly I would say don't give up on trying to do things with others, if you feel you would be happier that way, or at least worth trying. Socializing is something of a skill that can be learned or at least improved with time and practice. I think we on the spectrum are often on a longer learning curve, sometimes much longer, but many do get there eventually. A lot of us do find partners, get married, etc. Part is figuring out how to get yourself in a position to meet, spend time with others. Don't expect easy. Nothing is easy. But sometimes things fall into place surprizingly well. And when opportunity arrises don't hesitate.

Honestly I would say don't give up on trying to do things with others, if you feel you would be happier that way, or at least worth trying. Socializing is something of a skill that can be learned or at least improved with time and practice. I think we on the spectrum are often on a longer learning curve, sometimes much longer, but many do get there eventually. A lot of us do find partners, get married, etc. Part is figuring out how to get yourself in a position to meet, spend time with others. Don't expect easy. Nothing is easy. But sometimes things fall into place surprizingly well. And when opportunity arrises don't hesitate.
Im trying man, I am really really trying. I even enlisted the army in combat unit to be with people 24/7. People seem to really like me because I help wherever im needed and smile and girls give me cutsy names because im "cute".
still, I can't manage a conversation with my "friends" for more then a few minutes with me trying to think what we both would like to talk about while they just look to the side. In the rare times they did invite me out I was dropped soon after. I feel like people can just tell something is wrong with me within a very short time and I wish so much I knew what it was so I could be normal and not feel like everyone is getting closer to each other while im always outside until im forgotten. Ofcurse I don't want to be alone and I always push myself into situations and even try to talk with strangers. Is just that I don't feel any progress and it's always ends up bitter sweet experience. For now im mostly focusing on playing my guitar, working out and studying in my free time. I want to not be dependant on anyone. Sorry for the long replay and I hope it makes sense

Hey every few weeks im home for a few days. At home I dont have any friends sadly I never connected with anyone,
but I have accepted it.
I spent way to much time of my childhood Infront of the computer so I try to head out. I do hikes, beaches, go see movies alone, try climbing gyms ect. I somewhat enjoy it but
Every so often I get a overwhelming feeling of sadness, isolation and loneliness (and calling myself a loser coping), when doing those things alone. Either while doing it or when I see strangers enjoying together.
Anyone has any tips of how to overcome that feeling and just have good time by myself?. Thanks and have a great weekend :)
Don't feel so down, People seem to be friendly here. I'll lend an ear. I'm going through a bit too. I drown myself in silly scenarios via my art!

New Threads

Top Bottom