• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Anybody Here Like Gypsy Jazz?

Gerald Wilgus

V.I.P Member
The Gypsy Jazz Fest at the Green Mill in Chicago this September has got my attention. I liked the style ever since I heard Django Reinhardt. They will have Alfonso Ponticelli's group and La Tosca Italian Mambo Ensemble. While Chicago can be overwhelming at times, that music is so good I think I can handle it. The Green Mill is also a great listening space.

That sounds like a great time. I am utterly stupid about band/group names but I do like Gypsy Jazz by genre. Any jazz really.
Are you familiar with The Klezmatics? A fusion of klezmer music and jazz. They are quite delightful!

That sounds like a great time. I am utterly stupid about band/group names but I do like Gypsy Jazz by genre. Any jazz really.
Are you familiar with The Klezmatics? A fusion of klezmer music and jazz. They are quite delightful!
Yes, They have visited Michigan frequently enough. I have been bugging Interlochen to book them (and Alison Brown). As I travel, I enjoy music of all types. When visiting NOLA I discovered the Palm Court for Dixieland Jazz. The same or better musicians who play Preservation Hall, but more comfortable and a great space with impeccable acoustics. A decade ago Alfonse Ponticelli organized a tribute to Django at Millenium Park in Chicago at the Pritzger Pavilion. For an outdoor venue the acoustics are wonderful on the lawn as the speakers suspended in the overhead lattice are controlled for acoustical clarity.

Music is life!

Yes - I got to sit in on a jam session with these guys after one of their concerts: Stream Djoukil music | Listen to songs, albums, playlists for free on SoundCloud

They taught me the proper pompe manouche accompaniment to All of Me and the standard "Minor Swing" changes.
How wonderful! Swing never dies. Besides the big bands about the only country I like is Country Swing, like, Bob Wills and his Texas Playboys. Asleep at the Wheel did a great tribute of his music.

Last edited:
The word "Gypsie" has been declared an insult to the Romani people and can get you into deep trouble in some circles. I suppose that at one time there was an element of truth to that. But words evolve and most people today consider it to be a romantic term for someone with wanderlust and a free spirit.

I enjoy it, I am familiar a little with Django Reinhardt... A friend of mine started a jazz group here called the The Bow Djangos (the Bow River flows through Calgary), they are less active now but it's wonderful music, and the name is the inspiration of course...

And... Meet the Gypsy Violinist, a friend of mine who used that as a stage name and was an incredible performer... Karen has mostly retired that stage name now and moved away, she also used to busk as the Gypsy Violinist, strutting around not just standing in one spot, spectacular! My photo from a 2009 performance, when I had just met her

Gypsy 02.jpg

And meet Anne from Romania, a photo I took many years ago at a small Calgary festival, she just made me think "gypsy" so that is what I called the photo, and she was from that part of the world anyway... Just a simple street photography moment, and I also talked with her...

Gypsy 01.jpg

Last edited:
And... Meet the Gypsy Violinist, a friend of mine who used that as a stage name and was an incredible performer... Karen has mostly retired that stage name now and moved away, she also used to busk as the Gypsy Violinist, strutting around not just standing in one spot, spectacular! My photo from a 2009 performance, when I had just met her

View attachment 69979
Do you have a link with her playing?

Last edited:
Yes, They have visited Michigan frequently enough. I have been bugging Interlochen to book them (and Alison Brown). As I travel, I enjoy music of all types. When visiting NOLA I discovered the Palm Court for Dixieland Jazz. The same or better musicians who play Preservation Hall, but more comfortable and a great space with impeccable acoustics. A decade ago Alfonse Ponticelli organized a tribute to Django at Millenium Park in Chicago at the Pritzger Pavilion. For an outdoor venue the acoustics are wonderful on the lawn as the speakers suspended in the overhead lattice are controlled for acoustical clarity.

Music is life!
Interlochen was where high schools sent their promising band musicians for extra training. (If you could afford it.) Grew up in Michigan, northern part of the LP.

New Threads

Top Bottom