• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Anybody else here reside in the Nation of Procrasti?

I am a permanent resident there, myself. ProcrastiNation is where I reside, as a spiritual state of body and mind. Where sloths are the national mascot, and I am a sloth myself.

Calling out to my fellow citizens here.
If procrastination were a religious order, I would be wearing white robes with a tall hat and carry a shepherd's crook.

Yes, definitely. Mostly for school assignments. Even if it's something relatively easy, I have trouble even getting started.

On a serious note, there are times when I realize I am procrastinating on something, avoiding a specific task or assignment.

When I realize that, I have to triage, or debug, myself. I ask why I'm not doing it or what stands in my way - what am I avoiding?

Usually, the answer is that there's some obstacle or problem to figure out. I like to have the entire project planned out in detail, with every step worked out before I start, and when there are unknowns I tend to avoid starting.

So, I then have to write down what I know and the steps I can take now. Then I write down all the questions or unknowns. I will write down solutions to consider or investigate. Once that's written down, I know I don't have to worry about it because I already thought through it and wrote it down. That frees up the worry-center of my brain so I can get started.

The other type of procrastination is the jobs that are straightforward, but that I simply don't want to do, like folding laundry. I don't have a cool solution for those.

On a serious note, there are times when I realize I am procrastinating on something, avoiding a specific task or assignment.

When I realize that, I have to triage, or debug, myself. I ask why I'm not doing it or what stands in my way - what am I avoiding?

Usually, the answer is that there's some obstacle or problem to figure out. I like to have the entire project planned out in detail, with every step worked out before I start, and when there are unknowns I tend to avoid starting.

So, I then have to write down what I know and the steps I can take now. Then I write down all the questions or unknowns. I will write down solutions to consider or investigate. Once that's written down, I know I don't have to worry about it because I already thought through it and wrote it down. That frees up the worry-center of my brain so I can get started.

The other type of procrastination is the jobs that are straightforward, but that I simply don't want to do, like folding laundry. I don't have a cool solution for those.
Helpful for me is thinking how much will I have to do if I keep procrastinating like how much heavier the rubbish bin will be when I have to drag it to the street when it's a bin day if I don't bother on that day or buying clothes (scream)if I don't fold and can't remember if I have that layer

rUJidLYAMKlE3BfuU01JQ5rSFXA9_C50vRg0IUz0TB0.png

I was going to make a point about executive function but I didn't get around to thinking about it so I'll just say yes to fit in

I should be making phone calls for my job right now, but instead I am here, taking a ten minute procrastination break.

(Actually, my boss insists I take breaks due to it being the law, but that reality would kill this joke.)

New Threads

Top Bottom