• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Anybody else dislikes sliding doors?

RubenX

I've been renting for the last 6-7 years and as a renter, I have little control on the choice of doors my home has. But God I dislike sliding doors! They are so inefficiency. Lets compare them with regular doors:

Going through regular door:

1. Turn Handle.
2. Open door.
3. Go though door.
4. Close door behind you.

And it can be shortened to 3 steps if you install a door closer.

Going through sliding door:

1. Rotate the blinds to 90 degrees so you could open them.
2. Slide blinds to the side.
3. Unlock the sliding door locking mechanism that it's always getting stuck
4. Slide the glass door
5. go through door
6. Slide blinds back.
7. Rotate blinds to original angle
8. Slide glass door back

And that's if you don't have some additional locking bars or pins... those would be more extra steps.

PS: And the noise they make... so loud.

I also think regular doors are really easier to use than sliding doors. Plus, it doesn't take much efforts to come into a room, entry by regular doors.

But I guess sliding doors look cool?

Oh well, let it be.

I tend to trip on the tracks that support sliding doors. Since I have crappy depth perception, I can't be sure how high the track is from the floor. I end up tripping, stubbing my toe or over-stepping & landing funny. Too complicated for me. Revolving doors can be very confusing since I'm going straight but the doors & their pathway is round. Also, it is hard for me to tell how fast they're moving & how quickly I need to step in order to get in & get out on time.

Well I am legally blind and have no depth perception either and Find that as long as I know the door is there I don't mind it but I am rarely out and about alone so usually the sighted person tells me to step or whatever. But I like Soup will often walk into the door thinking it is open or step on the track or step down funny thinking there is more to the step than there is.

I'm not keen on sliding doors, I prefer plain old regular doors. I really hate the moving revolving doors at our local hospitals, I always worry that I'll get a finger or my jacket or something trapped as it revolves around. I always have to practically jump into the thing because it's constantly moving, such a bad idea for a hospital entrance too, I mean people on crutches etc must find it such a nightmare.

@Kelly

I'd forgotten about those hospital doors! Here too (& at the airport) they have those huge ones that are constantly moving & you have to leap in & hope nothing (like the edge of your scarf) gets stuck. They make a very distracting sound. When you add the traffic sounds from outside & the sounds of all those people, it really is too much.

Sliding doors are pretty annoying. The ones I have the hardest time with are the revolving doors in my building that you have to push. It seems like I go in one, lean on it to start moving, then some incredibly impatient person will jump in the section behind me with the force of a locomotive and send it lurching and me flying onto the sidewalk. They're not large enough to really take steps to get moving so I guess I'm a little slow.

yea i would much rather have a regular door then a sliding door and UGH i hate those revolving doors. haven't encountered them very often but i really don't like them.

Soup,

same thing here, (bad depth perception) and it seems you have to time it just right with the speed ofthe door and your walking speed to successfully go through a revolving door without worrying about getting stuck, and pathway (go with the curve)

as for the hospital type (large revolving with motor that turns it) I actually don't mind the humm noise they make or older garage door openers make when moving, same as older power door operators

hey, it could be worse, as I do remember the doors that had a pressure mat on the inside and outside, (before the times of the IR sensor) I'm GLAD Besam and Stanley(as well as the other automatic door manufacturers out there) did away with that pressure mat, when i was 6 i was in a parade in kindergarten, once got the back wheels of a tricycle stuck in a sliding door due to the fact that I tailgated a power wheelchair user and pressure mat detected him, but didn't detect me following behind him, I clearly remember that I screamed bloody murder when it happened and for about a year or so after, I had a fear of them (automatic doors) now, I can't get enough of them things (watching them move or looking at the brand (Besam or Stanley)

so another vote from me for using a regular swinging hinged door,

-Jess (doordoctor)

The thing that annoys me the most are fire doors.

I understand the concept and the reason they are essential for any office block for when they close shut they will naturally starve any fire of oxygen thereby hopefully putting out any fires if they happen. I can reason with that and on the whole conclude they are a sound bit of engineering.

However they don't just stop with office blocks...fire doors are everywhere even where they become a hazard in themselves in places people are moving heavy boxes from place to place. And to add to the ire they say such doors *cannot* be wedged open. So there you are with heavy boxes dribbling from your arms and some how you have to open a door handle, ease the heavy spring-loaded door open and some how swing your hips round it and then some how get through it before it rams shut behind you sending you flying, boxes and all!

And in steps a bright spark with a screw driver and a clever idea...he fixes a door hook to the wall so that the door can be fixed with a little hook at the bottom where a little hook will fit it to the wall thereby meaning it can now be left open when carrying heavy boxes. In steps the health and safety inspector again with clipboard and all and takes one look at it and shakes his head and places a big heavy red cross in the box; it has to go because it fails safety regulations. So it is unscrewed from the door and again people are left having to negotiate the heavy spring-loaded door when carrying heavy loads.

Then to add to the frustration such doors are often then in clear view of at least one security camera. So there you are carrying your heavy boxes and bags and some how hobbling on one leg while opening the door with the other and hoping no one is on the other side about to shove it open...and you just have that uncanny feeling that some rosy security official is sat with a big mug of hot coffee and having a right old chuckle as he watches your struggles on the camera monitors time and time again.

New Threads

Top Bottom