• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Any fellow Linux users on here?

Right. Well, I was able to make a new version of Ubuntu 22.04.1based off the older downloads.
I used a Win 7 computer that was still in the house (My parents still have their 2009 Hewlett Packard running in theliving room;it's not turned off or on much because we're frankly scared of it) and anyway I made a start-up disk.
Was able to get into my computer again & change the boot order using some of those emergency-mode menus, told it to start off the USB drive instead of trying to start from its own self.
Reinstalled Linux at the end of a long day of fighting this thing (It took so long to download the new OS that I was able to go mow the whole yard) and now I have a computer again. Couldn't have happened at a worse time as this is the middle of finals but my computer runs so there is that.
Got to spend the whole day in a terminal, on the command lines, going

$ sudo apt git gud noob
run: bro_wtf.exe
$sudo apt get I thought you had wifi
run: lol no

or something like that. (Those aren't real Linux commands just in case.)
I now have a running computer which is kind of a big deal, and $5.27 later I also have a thumb drive to use as a start disk just in case.

I now have a running computer which is kind of a big deal, and $5.27 later I also have a thumb drive to use as a start disk just in case.
Yeah, having that thumb drive once saved me from having to reinstall the entire os when I made the mistake of installing a "recommended" Nvidia driver based on rather old hardware. Booted the system up that way and was able to reinstall a more suitable proprietary driver. Small wonder Linus Torval hates Nvidia....

On another note I was able to see that recent updates to Wine 8.0.1 finally stopped all those entries into the log file each and every time I'd open a Windows application. Now when I open Photoshop, nothing at all shows up in the log file.

One thing I've never liked in Linux is how pendantic the OS can get in terms of excessively logging what in most cases turn out to be negligible comments. Glad to see this is being addressed, at least in terms of Wine 8.0.1.

Last edited:
I have hated nVidia for 20 years, and it has nothing to do with Linux: anyone who has ever tried to play Deus Ex Invisible War on PC back in 2003 will understand why.

Learned another "Stupid Linux Trick". :cool:

While the OS being able to automatically determine what printers were set up and running, I always hated that when you turned the computer off it would have to account for them all over again at least with Linux Mint 21.1.

I found this fix for it all, so that the OS and it's "cups-browser" no longer searches for those printers on boot-up. Implement the fix in the terminal as follows:

sudo purge cups-browsed

Then reboot, and manually reinstall whatever printers you have that Linux can identify. Once done, the printers will remain showing indefinitely (whether they are off or on) , rather than losing them each time you turn off your computer. Otherwise I would have to turn on my printers and wait for the system to re-identify and install them accordingly.

Just be sure to right-click the "printers"icon to configure it to "show printer icon" all the time on the panel .

Printers.jpg

ROTFL....Microsoft will be sooooo butthurt. Imagine forcing an AI to "fess up"...and it did! :D

Last edited:
Decisions, decisions. What Linux Distribution should a noob be considering?

Some surprising cheers and jeers regarding some big name distros from "French Nick":

I've found Linux to be too difficult to use.

(Though I've thought about buying old computers and putting Linux or Ubuntu on them and reselling them...)

How is it to use, Im aware that the strong pont of Linus/Ubuntu is that they are easy on hardware.

God I wish I could stay with Linux, but as a music producer, your resources are limited on any distro than you are on Windows or Mac.

Doesn't mean I haven't tried using Linux though, as I actually started looking into it during the pandemic. It's fun to learn and I currently have a backup machine running arch on some relatively older hardware. It works. Probably not the best for some games, but I still like it.

Come to think of it, I could try getting the music resources that Linux has and seeing if I can make the genres I like with it, but it will be much harder without certain tools.

God I wish I could stay with Linux, but as a music producer, your resources are limited on any distro than you are on Windows or Mac.

Keep in mind running Wine 8.0.1 allows you to run certain Windows applications on Linux. It's a hoot to run a 1999 version of Photoshop (5.5) with few if any problems than when I run it on Windows 10. Not to mention that this computer running Linux Mint 21.1 is one I built some eleven years ago.

You might consider accessing WINE's application database to examine the compatibility of various Windows applications.

Last edited:

Doesn't mean I haven't tried using Linux though, as I actually started looking into it during the pandemic. It's fun to learn and I currently have a backup machine running arch on some relatively older hardware. It works. Probably not the best for some games, but I still like it.

Come to think of it, I could try getting the music resources that Linux has and seeing if I can make the genres I like with it, but it will be much harder without certain tools.
There's a whole other forum dedicated to music on Linux. I'll leave the link below. Maybe they know of resources out there.

LinuxMusicians.com

Keep in mind running Wine 8.0.1 allows you to run certain Windows applications on Linux. It's a hoot to run a 1999 version of Photoshop (5.5) with few if any problems than when I run it on Windows 10. Not to mention that this computer running Linux Mint 21.1 is one I built some eleven years ago.

You might consider accessing WINE's application database to examine the compatibility of various Windows applications.

Haven't looked into Wine as much as I probably should have, but I'll definitely keep in mind to look into this.
There's a whole other forum dedicated to music on Linux. I'll leave the link below. Maybe they know of resources out there.

LinuxMusicians.com
Shoot, I forgot this forum existed. Thanks for bringing it back to my attention!

(Though I've thought about buying old computers and putting Linux or Ubuntu on them and reselling them...)

How is it to use, Im aware that the strong pont of Linus/Ubuntu is that they are easy on hardware.
I only agree very slightly as I get a quarter of the FPS in Unreal Engine

You might consider a distro like Zorin OS16 Pro. To my knowledge, the pro version costs some $40 but includes conventional online/phone support. Essentially the same as a proprietary OS. I don't think any other Linux distro offers this. They also offer a mainstream version and a "lite" version for older hardware. Both are free.

For Windows users new to Linux, I'd highly recommend only the following distros:

Linux Mint 21.1
Pop! OS22
Zorin OS16

To anyone who has used DosBox-X in Linux, have you run into this issue? If I type the DATE command, it gives the right date but the wrong day of the week. Another site had someone with this issue and another person offered a fix to the bug, but the first guy was running DosBox in a Windows environment so I don't know if that would work on my machine.

WrongDOSBoxDate.png

I rarely manage to run anything on Wine
I've had fairly good success with it, but I mostly only use it for games. I wrote a tutorial on configuring it a few years back, perhaps it might be of help to you.

I use a stripped down version of xubuntu and really like it. I've used Linux solely for over a decade now (a friend got me into it with my first computer) and I've just really come to like how it works.

For my own amusement I decided to strip my spare SSD and put Pop! OS 22.04 on it. I'm on it now. Having to fix all the issues I had with Linux Mint 21.1 was pretty much par for the course with Pop! OS 22.04, and it allows me to still continue to run Photoshop 5.5 on Wine 8.

Though I'm really bummed at this gnome ver. 42.5 that doesn't seem to allow the use of third party extensions. Which translates into an inability to seriously customize the interface unlike Linux Mint 21.1. Otherwise everything pretty much runs just fine. As you can see, unlike Linux Mint it's akin to the Mac interface.

The one really striking feature of this distro that I see lies in their repository, better known as the "Pop Shop". I've never seen such a serious amount of free software. Better than even Linux Mint's repository IMO. And they have a serious number of games to play.

I do know that their developer System 76 is working on the next version of the Pop! OS, and it will in fact replace the use and appearance of Gnome with "Rust". Which just might explain why they aren't spending any time over Gnome issues anymore. Hopefully "Rust" will solve this problem of not being able to customize much. In the meantime I'm still stoked that I can continue running this 11 year old computer on a current operating system other than Microsoft.

Pop! OS 22.04.jpg

Last edited:
Memo to one's self:

Don't try to install Pop! OS 22.04 choosing a choice of a bootable UEFI flash drive if it shows up in your bios.

Learned the hard way that it actually installs a somewhat different version of the OS that doesn't even have a "grub" file. Worse still when you go to all the trouble of installing the OS, all the software conformed to how you like it, and then it won't reboot after having swapped it as a removable drive. Ran my Linux Mint for a bit, then decided to switch back to my Pop! OS 22.04 drive. But it wouldn't boot, no matter how many times I configured my bios to read it.

Ironic to realize the last time I successfully installed this OS I had no such issues, having chosen not to select the UEFI choice in my bios. Ugh.

The next time I try to install Pop! OS 22.04 not using EFI to launch the installation process through my flash drive, I think the first thing I'll do after rebooting is to shut it down, replace the drive and launch this OS (Linux Mint 21.1) and then again replace the drive with the one I used to install Pop! OS 22.04. If it boots up ok then I should be in the clear as I've done before.

Still it's weird to think that you get a somewhat different OS as the result of launching it using UEFI settings in your bios. But then both my Windows 10 and Linux Mint operating systems are set up without UEFI in the first place. Where whenever I switch those drives, I routinely must designate the boot drive in the bios each and every time, if that makes sense.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom