• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Any fellow Linux users on here?

Fedora on the left, Ubuntu on the right, what's the one in the middle?

Oddly it's Lubuntu on the left, Zorin in the middle and Ubuntu on the right. I have no idea which one I'll actually end up using, so I figured this could be a fun way to get used to them!

My favourite desktop environment is the Cinnamon Desktop, that's the one you've got showing on the Lubuntu machine. You can have that in any Linux of course.

It's good that you're trying many, they're all slightly different. The above are all Debian based, it wouldn't hurt you to also try one RPM based. Those terms mostly only relate to what type of program manages and installs software but there's a few other subtle differences too.

Although I'm running Ubuntu again at the moment this one is my favourite:

I have no idea which one I'll actually end up using, so I figured this could be a fun way to get used to them!
Uh-oh...hope you don't end up spending the entirety of 2023 distro hopping...

Sorry in advance for being a bad influence and nudging you into the Linux rabbit hole!

cautionary.png

It was me, I'm the hero...I say in my best Dr. Zoidberg voice.
Sorry in advance for being a bad influence and nudging you into the Linux rabbit hole!

I blame and thank all of you equally!

Someone smarter and more well-versed in Linux distros might understand why, but Kubuntu is probably what I'm going to be putting on any dead / old system from now on. Getting apps from the 'store' and command line is just super smooth, and it runs better than anything else I've probably ever used.

I'm also super surprised about all of the software on here. I can use this for the microcontrollers (Thonny and Arduino IDE both seem to work fine), GIMP and Inkscape aren't quite adobe products but super powerful nonetheless (although Krita is here!), and even VSC is available which I didn't expect. The only stuff I'm really missing is highly-specific to windows, but FOSS is some good shniz.

Having p3, Python and GNU Octave here is also a major plus for me. I can't believe any of this is free.

sudo apt-get install wine winetricks

This will alow you to keep many of your favourite windows programs. The documentation for it is as confusing as all hell but there's a few of us here that can help you with that.

sudo apt-get install wine winetricks

This will alow you to keep many of your favourite windows programs. The documentation for it is as confusing as all hell but there's a few of us here that can help you with that.

I actually attempted to run Filter Forge (my favorite art VPL in the world) on there but it said it wasn't designed for 64-bit architecture, which according to the company it definitely was. Maybe I'll have to do some reading and tweaking, because there are a few apps that would be really cool to get running!

I've seen a few that are guaranteed to work with wine, too, which is a really good sign!

Having p3, Python and GNU Octave here is also a major plus for me. I can't believe any of this is free.
All the best things in life are free. I've found this to be reliably true in the world of software.

For a video editing suite check out KdEnlive as well.

I actually attempted to run Filter Forge (my favorite art VPL in the world) on there but it said it wasn't designed for 64-bit architecture, which according to the company it definitely was. Maybe I'll have to do some reading and tweaking, because there are a few apps that would be really cool to get running!

I've seen a few that are guaranteed to work with wine, too, which is a really good sign!
Wine will run both 32 bit and 64 bit software. I mostly use it for playing video games, especially the older ones. They play better in Linux than they ever did in Windows. Even modern games, one of my current favourites is No Man's Sky, plays much better in Linux than Windows.

Here's a tutorial I wrote on using wine, might be a little bit outdated now, not sure. Any questions, please ask.

I blame and thank all of you equally!

Someone smarter and more well-versed in Linux distros might understand why, but Kubuntu is probably what I'm going to be putting on any dead / old system from now on. Getting apps from the 'store' and command line is just super smooth, and it runs better than anything else I've probably ever used.

I'm also super surprised about all of the software on here. I can use this for the microcontrollers (Thonny and Arduino IDE both seem to work fine), GIMP and Inkscape aren't quite adobe products but super powerful nonetheless (although Krita is here!), and even VSC is available which I didn't expect. The only stuff I'm really missing is highly-specific to windows, but FOSS is some good shniz.

And there it is! The inevitable excited post of a new Linux convert!

All kinds of microcontroller hardware and software work beautifully and safely on Linux. No chance of Windows updates bricking hardware. Don't know if you remember the issues a few years ago when a Windows update deliberately bricked FTDI chips if it thought the chip was a clone. No such issues on Linux, and Linux could even be used to un-brick the chips more reliably.

You know, I tried not to become another Windows hating Linux fanboy. To me, an OS is just a tool to get a job done, whether Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, whatever, but I just got too frustrated over time with all the little things. I enjoy a technical challenge, but Windows just chipped away at my tolerance too much, both on my own PCs and when I used to do tech support.

Haha maybe I shouldn't have slammed this old computer I got from college that.is worth only 40 but the 100 one I already owned with Ubuntu and why do I dual boot this thing is beyond me but I have a addiction to puzzle pirates and I don't have the patience right now to install it on the Linux side. Oh the script proving once you learn Linus is well completely a beautiful thing butost.dont want to take this learning curve because they are ina cult of microsuck winblows and eating a bite of a sinful apple. Sorry we been name.womdows for over twenty years. But currently I don't feel like.carrying a brick that I can barely charge up. Which the batt ru does last three times as long than the POS the college have. But where am I being thankful in this post I. Just saying you know. Have fun with this beautiful system. Oh btw it's funny to boot a library system with a USB stick loaded with Linux. Haha shhh just do it quickly when no one is watching haha I'm bad.

You know, I tried not to become another Windows hating Linux fanboy. To me, an OS is just a tool to get a job done, whether Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, whatever, but I just got too frustrated over time with all the little things. I enjoy a technical challenge, but Windows just chipped away at my tolerance too much, both on my own PCs and when I used to do tech support.
Oh I'm a philanthropist tech support I don't advertise it though because well why should I give away free advice,..? Haha I don't mind but these normies are evil and only take advantage although times are changing

One thing I enjoy about Linux Mint is just simply booting the OS up and being able to do keystrokes as soon as I enter my password. Having the option of not using or having to wait as a list of startup programs and processes which must boot up first for the whole OS to function properly..

Conversely in Windows 10 I risk compromising my security as Windows takes its sweet time about booting certain startup processes beyond my control to manage. Where any interruption can interfere with Windows recognizing my third-party anti-virus/malware program. So I generally wait so many seconds before executing any keystrokes.

In the near future I plan on installing Mint 21.1 from scratch on this particular drive that presently runs version 20.3.

Last edited:
One thing I enjoy about Linux Mint is just simply booting the OS up and being able to do keystrokes as soon as I enter my password. Having the option of not using or having to wait as a list of startup programs and processes which must boot up first for the whole OS to function properly..

Conversely in Windows 10 I risk compromising my security as Windows takes its sweet time about booting certain startup processes beyond my control to manage. Where any interruption can interfere with Windows recognizing my third-party anti-virus/malware program. So I generally wait so many seconds before executing any keystrokes.

In the near future I plan on installing Mint 21.1 from scratch on this particular drive that presently runs version 20.3..
I'm going to have to check this out. I shouldn't say I'm a fan of Ubuntu but I was trained from some class with redhat not that is a good distro. And mint just sound lovinglu refreshing of just .ppeint freshment like double mint gum doing a doubletake bad pun on those commercials

I'm going to have to check this out. I shouldn't say I'm a fan of Ubuntu but I was trained from some class with redhat not that is a good distro. And mint just sound lovinglu refreshing of just .ppeint freshment like double mint gum doing a doubletake bad pun on those commercials
I've attempted distro-hopping a number of times and have always come back full-circle to Linux Mint. Though with this ten-year old PC I built, Mint seems to consistently have the least hardware issues. Though having to modify files for Realtek/Intel HD Audio drivers can be a pain. Otherwise I have no sound. But there's always an answer out there on the Internet when it comes to such issues.

I've attempted distro-hopping a number of times and have always come back full-circle to Linux Mint. Though with this ten-year old PC I built, Mint seems to consistently have the least hardware issues. Though having to modify files for Realtek/Intel HD Audio drivers can be a pain. Otherwise I have no sound. But there's always an answer out there on the Internet when it comes to such issues.
Good to know. I explored DSL or damn small Linux. Less than 50 mb when small was an issue. That was a fun little distro. I wonder if still around... Excuse me I'm distracted now googling

Good to know. I explored DSL or damn small Linux. Less than 50 mb when small was an issue. That was a fun little distro. I wonder if still around... Excuse me I'm distracted now googling
Hmmm imm going to try mint but that means I should dual boot or get another old laptop to put it on or delete Ubuntu?

Decisions decisions decisions don't you just hate them...? Haha

You might also consider Linux Mint Xfce, their leanest version. Though I prefer their Cinnamon edition myself. I love just how versatile the GUI is. Way better than Windows 11 IMO. Though Microsoft seems to be listening more to their critics about such things these days. But they have a long way to go to getting it right, if ever.

New Threads

Top Bottom