• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Any college graduate aspies here?

I have my Bachelor's in social sciences. I started as a biology major but had to switch out because I was required to pass calculus 2 and struggled to even get through pre-calc. I ended up taking some business classes as electives and now I have an e-commerance business. I second what Lucy said about working for yourself.

I attended a US State University very very long ago. Started out to be an engineer. Couldn't cope with the math. Or, more likely, couldn't cope with the way NT's teach math. Asperberger was an obscure researcher then, known only to a few other researchers in appropriate knowledge fields.

I switched to a major that only needed some algebra and some formulas lifted from 'higher' math [that undergrads in the field were not required to do more than process the numbers]. Graduated with a BS. Minor in Literature.

Out in the world I could not cope with the political gaming of the NT's. Dropped out and into decent paying blue collar careers. On my own in responsible jobs with limited contact with customers/people, I made money for myself and the companies I worked for. It does not matter now what I did because the world has changed and none of it could be repeated. A lot of "right place and right time" and some "right boss" situations. Time in college shapes the mind in useful ways. A degree is even better. I made more money for myself and my company than most of my co-workers by concentrating on doing the job I was hired to do. Not as easy as it sounds. I saw many others vanish because they were doing what they wanted to do.

In the world today the thing for an Aspie or HFA might be to major in accounting. It is a field searching for qualified people. Everybody thinks "adding up all the little numbers with a pencil." No, the grunt work is done by the computers. The accountants know the rules, how to use them, how to set up the computers to produce the desired reports. Accountants tend to be working in a back room all alone. For many of us HFA's/Aspies that is wonderful. The pay is good, too. NT's can't tolerate the isolation.

I only have an Associates of Science, in Ground Radar Technology. I did not have problems with school per se, but hated homework with a passion. I had to write virtually no papers. I don't know what I would have done if I had had to.

I don't understand difficulty taking orders, or with authority. It came natural to me and I was in the military for 27 years. I liked the predictable and clear structure. I find uncertainty in that area annoying.

I'm about to take my fifth stab at going back to college, but this time, since I now know why I failed the other four times (because of some of my worst Asper traits), I'm approaching it differently. My Uni has a disability services department now that works with all kinds of issues, including most of mine, and I happen to have an appointment with them today (and I'm terrified because it's the first time I've stepped foot on campus in 17 years, but I'll get through it). I'm not even sure I'll use them, but it's nice to know it's there.

My issue with school has always been that I get very bored very quickly. I never could decide on a major because I couldn't focus long enough to stay interested (or I ran out of money because it's extremely expensive to go to school here). This time, hopefully, I have chosen right. But I have also chosen a major that gives me options so, if I can't cut it, or if I do get bored, I can use it in different ways and still make it through (hopefully).

But since I'm going from Graphic Design to Computer Science, I'm going to lose a TON of credit hours, so I'm basically starting all over again except for my general requirement classes...I had very little of those left to finish. That's a bit scary though because I'm 30 years out of high school. I might have to take some remedial classes to get through calculus and physics, but it would be worth it.

I'm lucky to have a good I.T. job that's stable, but they don't pay me what I'm worth because I'm self-taught with no formal education. A lot of my contemporaries are also self-taught and make a ton more than I do, but my issues keep me trapped here and my bosses use that against me. I'm hoping finishing my education will change that and it's already causing problems at work...they are pushing me extremely hard, not leaving me any time to deal with school issues (and classes don't even start until fall), and make a lot of negative comments about me going back to school. I'm trying to ignore it, but it is wearing on me. They know they are eventually going to lose me (my end goal is Astronomy and that won't work for a Pathology Lab), so they are trying their hardest to either stop me, or change my mind to something that will keep me here. They might break me down before it's all over. After 20+ years, I am extremely comfortable here and they do deal with all my issues without complaint, but I guarantee that, if I stay, an education won't give me the pay increase I deserve either.

Only time will tell if I make it through a fifth time, but I'm at least willing to try.

I loved college/university. I started off as a music major (Baritone Horn) but graduated with a degree in history and East Asian Studies. I was at University of California at Santa Cruz in the late 1970s, when David Huffman (Huffman Coding) taught there, and I suspect there were many others on the spectrum at the school at that time. I seem to do well socially around intelligent populations; they are more accepting of difference.

Rich, I remember you saying you were planning on going back to school. Is college free in the ol' UK like it is in other parts of Europe?

Free College? Under a Tory government? You're kidding right? I enquired about doing a game design course back in January with a view to going to local Uni as part of the course, the price of the course was £2000 a year for a 2 year course! I'm on benefits, I don't have that kind of money, and even if I did my Parents wouldn't let me spend it all on a College course.

"How was your college experience? How has college enriched your life?"

I earned two degrees (Computing and Economics) -- they were a lot of work but made a huge difference both professionally and -- just as importantly -- in opening me up to interests I would not have even known about otherwise. I was originally going for Accounting for the second one, but after taking Intro to Economics, my entire focus changed!
You said you're a excellent writer -- yay! I had very little skill in that area and the two writing classes I was required to take made all the difference in my professional and personal world. It sounds like you're way ahead there. I agree completely with Peeweezers' comment about intelligent populations -- those who pursue higher education are generally more confident about who they are and far more willing to accept others.
It was an adventure for me, difficult at times, but wouldn't change a thing. So worth it!!!

If I could I'd do a Journalism course and apply for a job as a writer for the local paper, well seeing as they nick most of their stories from Sheffield Forum anyway, I thought I could do a better job!

You don't say how old you are (unless I missed it) but I'd advise you to only get a degree if you think it will help you in the pursuit of a career, or if the you have the time & money to pursue that piece of paper called a diploma.

I went to art school, twice. First time right out of high school as an architecture major, but I "fell in love" (in actuality I was manipulated by a sociopath) and ended up leaving 2 semesters short of degree because my lover thought architecture was dumb and I followed him to NYC (much more complicated than that of course). In essence I was way too naive and trusting, and didn't have a mentor or advocate to guide me (or a diagnosis, which didn't come until last year when I was 51 years old). I think I was so overwhelmed at art school life that I totally spun out of control.

The second time was in 1999 (age 34) and it took 5+ years to earn a degree because it was so difficult for me. My major was furniture design. I either got A's or F's (mostly A's). I was fortunate that my department was small and the Dept Head gave me enough leeway to focus on the things I was very interested in and work around the courses/coursework I hated. I was also fortunate to be at an age where I knew what I was interested in and what I wasn't. So, intellectually and creatively it was great for my intellectual/creative development ... for whatever that's worth.

But, socially, emotionally and physically it took a huge toll on me. I was married so I couldn't be in the studio 24/7 like the other students and in the end everyone seemed to hate me. At my degree art show with the 2 other furniture students I graduated with, neither would talk to me. At graduation neither acknowledged me. There was one student who bullied me so much that I couldn't be in the studio when he was. This also coincided with 9/11 which affected me deeply (I grew up outside of NYC, and later lived in NYC and had several temp jobs in the twin towers) so this is when my anxiety attacks began in earnest ... there were days I'd take the bus all the way to school and then couldn't enter the building. I actually wonder now if my professor allowed me to graduate to get rid of me.

In retrospect I don't think me earning my degree was worth it. I'd love to be making furniture or continue pursuing my art but you can't make a living doing either. Being able to say I have a BFA doesn't mean much, especially in art circles because you're supposed to have an MFA to be anything. And, having a degree hasn't helped me get any work ever (I have worked a lot as a graphic designer). It also wasted a ton of money and is the reason I never had a child (I was in school during what was probably my last years of fertility). So for me it's a huge ball of regrets and a big source of pain for me now. Maybe, just maybe if I had had a diagnosis going in either time everything would have been different.

I guess the point of all my drivel here is, try to figure out the best situation for yourself. Have a support system and a plan, but let your plan change if it makes sense to do so (don't necessarily expect to have a career in what you study, few people seem to end up doing that). Be kind to yourself and don't try to be something you're not. My impression from others who have attended liberal arts colleges is that the emphasis is on rote learning, following rules and drawing inside the lines. Figure out if you will soar in that environment or wither.

You're lucky to have a diagnosis going in. I wish you the best!

Everyone's candor and scrupulous honesty is wonderful. I learn so much from people on here. I'll figure something out. I will respond to everyone in more detail later.

I only have an Associates of Science, in Ground Radar Technology. I did not have problems with school per se, but hated homework with a passion. I had to write virtually no papers. I don't know what I would have done if I had had to.

I don't understand difficulty taking orders, or with authority. It came natural to me and I was in the military for 27 years. I liked the predictable and clear structure. I find uncertainty in that area annoying.

Thank you for your service Tom!

What should you study?

*sigh*

So here's the thing. If you go back to college, make sure you have a reason. Don't go just to go or because you think it is what you are supposed to do or what people tell you to do. Unless you are independently wealthy, you could be trading tens of thousands of dollars for a lot of cool, but useless, information. Believe me. I know. Anthropology, EMT school, culinary school, and business school. All cool subjects in which I excelled, none of which I currently use for gainful employment.

If you are anything like me, everything can be interesting in one way or another, I can learn just about anything I want to, and because of this, I get bored and lose interest in subjects within a few months. This is great while you are in school and you have new classes every four months, but when you get out... you just want to do your thing the way you want to, and the world we are forced to live in does not work that way.

So you have two ways of doing this. Fit yourself into the world by finding a useful subject that you like with which you can be gainfully employed in mainstream society and hope that you still love it (or can force yourself to love it) in ten years. OR. Find where your interests and needs intersect and work from there. I suggest the latter, though it is admittedly not easy.

You don't like rules and taking orders, I get that completely. But even the fabric of the universe has unbreakable rules. What you need to figure out is which or what kind of rules are you willing live with. For example. I did not know I was aspie until recently and ten years ago I joined the military. I can tell you right now that if you do not like illogical rules and regulations and taking orders from people more stupid than you, the military and any corporate structure (the military is really just a huge corporation) will not work for you. So office work may be out.

Going into politics may not be right for you, because anything government is ruley, and law, as well, may be difficult. Journalism could be cool, but newsrooms work off a hierarchy, too. You could consider something like a political analyst or strategist. With any consulting work like that you can be an entrepreneur or get into contract work. Less job security but more flexibility. If you go into something like that, though, make sure you go to a good school. The school matters for job placement later.

I like biology too, now that I am older. But I think what I like about it is that it describes the origins of things and how they work. If you are not super sciencey and into math, I'd stay clear.

Becoming a teacher could be something to look into. Not a public school teacher - way too much structure and bureaucracy - but perhaps focus on a professorship one day. That way you can study whatever you want in college with the goal of staying in the academic sphere if that appeals to you. Note: you will still be restricted by the general bureaucracy of universities, but you will be able to research and teach whatever you want. Be prepared for a possible Ph.D. path as well.

Have you ever considered just becoming a writing major? You will have the opportunity to learn several styles you may not have considered already (creative, fiction, non-fiction, academic, playwriting, journalistic, speechwriting). Additionally, a writing major does not restrict you to a particular subject specifically. You could minor in something if there is a field of particular interest.

Listen, I loved my college experience because I just like learning. I am new to being aspie and, looking back I realize that I was attracted to anything that could help me understand humans and society. With Anthropology in undergrad, I came to understand human culture in general and appreciate that there is not just one set of societal rules and that norms are artificially constructed. I also studied abroad a couple of times, which showed me first hand how those norms can radically change simply by crossing a border. EMT work helped me understand how the human body works from the inside and how that can affect the way people are on the outside. Business school helped me understand why America and its institutions work the way they do. And culinary school was just a true interest of mine. ;)

But here I am, ten years after my first college experience, and no wiser as to what I am actually made for and what fulfills me. Really think about it, and don't be afraid to look outside of the usual list of prestigious careers.

How was the college experience?
Social-wise, all of my friends were engineers, scientists, and other geeky-type majors, so my oddities did not stick out quite so much. I still felt like an outsider, but college can be a great experience for aspies because half of what college does is reinforce social expectations. You will need to know how to do this stuff - doing things you don't want to do, working in groups, finding answers with little or no guidance - in order to be an effective member of whatever society you choose to be a part of.

Unless you are able to live in complete solitude or surround yourself with others like you or that understand you (ever think of psychology?), the practical social skills you learn in college will be invaluable.

Additionally, college taught me how to learn and exposed me to subjects and interests I did not even know existed.

All in all, I would tell you to go to college if you can afford it, definitely, but really give some thought as to your major. Don't go to college first and choose your major later (like I did).

Sorry for the long post. I hope it helps.

In the world today the thing for an Aspie or HFA might be to major in accounting. It is a field searching for qualified people. Everybody thinks "adding up all the little numbers with a pencil." No, the grunt work is done by the computers. The accountants know the rules, how to use them, how to set up the computers to produce the desired reports. Accountants tend to be working in a back room all alone. For many of us HFA's/Aspies that is wonderful. The pay is good, too. NT's can't tolerate the isolation.

I had actually thought about going into accounting. Because I'd love to work in the back room managing the computer formulas and so forth. I make Excel sheets all the time just on my own, and always been great at math. Got excited about it. But I was told it's not the 70s anymore. Computers do all the work and the real work of accountants is calling people up, using tricks and threatening them to get them to pay up. Something I'd be horrible at. Why pay a collections person if the accountant can just stay longer and do it?

Maybe I'm just in the wrong place, or maybe it's the same everywhere, I don't know. Every place around here I've seen, you might hire for a job, but you work for a company as a whole. You're expected to do any job thrown at you, and you have no single boss, anybody can be your boss at any time, so you end up constantly jumping around to who screams the loudest, things are always late, done rushed and incomplete, or forgotten. And not surprisingly, they're always understaffed. Even things like say the owner's car is broke down somewhere, and the welder happens to know a little bit about fixing cars, he gets sent out. Not like the multimillionaire owner can't afford a routine tow and repair done by a qualified shop. And our equipment is late getting built.

I'd love to have one job to do, do it well, and be able to go home at the end of the day without guilt. I love being an engineer. I just can't stand where I do it.

I will be graduating in a couple of months at the ripe age of 33!

Double major in Medieval Philosophy and Classics.

I made no real friends among other students, but do have a sort of friendship with some of my professors, (of course we maintain appropriate boundaries for a student-teacher relationship, and don't do social stuff together. The friendship consists in discussions of academic matters).

Last edited:
What should you study?

*sigh*

So here's the thing. If you go back to college, make sure you have a reason. Don't go just to go or because you think it is what you are supposed to do or what people tell you to do. Unless you are independently wealthy, you could be trading tens of thousands of dollars for a lot of cool, but useless, information. Believe me. I know. Anthropology, EMT school, culinary school, and business school. All cool subjects in which I excelled, none of which I currently use for gainful employment.

If you are anything like me, everything can be interesting in one way or another, I can learn just about anything I want to, and because of this, I get bored and lose interest in subjects within a few months. This is great while you are in school and you have new classes every four months, but when you get out... you just want to do your thing the way you want to, and the world we are forced to live in does not work that way.

So you have two ways of doing this. Fit yourself into the world by finding a useful subject that you like with which you can be gainfully employed in mainstream society and hope that you still love it (or can force yourself to love it) in ten years. OR. Find where your interests and needs intersect and work from there. I suggest the latter, though it is admittedly not easy.

You don't like rules and taking orders, I get that completely. But even the fabric of the universe has unbreakable rules. What you need to figure out is which or what kind of rules are you willing live with. For example. I did not know I was aspie until recently and ten years ago I joined the military. I can tell you right now that if you do not like illogical rules and regulations and taking orders from people more stupid than you, the military and any corporate structure (the military is really just a huge corporation) will not work for you. So office work may be out.

Going into politics may not be right for you, because anything government is ruley, and law, as well, may be difficult. Journalism could be cool, but newsrooms work off a hierarchy, too. You could consider something like a political analyst or strategist. With any consulting work like that you can be an entrepreneur or get into contract work. Less job security but more flexibility. If you go into something like that, though, make sure you go to a good school. The school matters for job placement later.

I like biology too, now that I am older. But I think what I like about it is that it describes the origins of things and how they work. If you are not super sciencey and into math, I'd stay clear.

Becoming a teacher could be something to look into. Not a public school teacher - way too much structure and bureaucracy - but perhaps focus on a professorship one day. That way you can study whatever you want in college with the goal of staying in the academic sphere if that appeals to you. Note: you will still be restricted by the general bureaucracy of universities, but you will be able to research and teach whatever you want. Be prepared for a possible Ph.D. path as well.

Have you ever considered just becoming a writing major? You will have the opportunity to learn several styles you may not have considered already (creative, fiction, non-fiction, academic, playwriting, journalistic, speechwriting). Additionally, a writing major does not restrict you to a particular subject specifically. You could minor in something if there is a field of particular interest.

Listen, I loved my college experience because I just like learning. I am new to being aspie and, looking back I realize that I was attracted to anything that could help me understand humans and society. With Anthropology in undergrad, I came to understand human culture in general and appreciate that there is not just one set of societal rules and that norms are artificially constructed. I also studied abroad a couple of times, which showed me first hand how those norms can radically change simply by crossing a border. EMT work helped me understand how the human body works from the inside and how that can affect the way people are on the outside. Business school helped me understand why America and its institutions work the way they do. And culinary school was just a true interest of mine. ;)

But here I am, ten years after my first college experience, and no wiser as to what I am actually made for and what fulfills me. Really think about it, and don't be afraid to look outside of the usual list of prestigious careers.

How was the college experience?
Social-wise, all of my friends were engineers, scientists, and other geeky-type majors, so my oddities did not stick out quite so much. I still felt like an outsider, but college can be a great experience for aspies because half of what college does is reinforce social expectations. You will need to know how to do this stuff - doing things you don't want to do, working in groups, finding answers with little or no guidance - in order to be an effective member of whatever society you choose to be a part of.

Unless you are able to live in complete solitude or surround yourself with others like you or that understand you (ever think of psychology?), the practical social skills you learn in college will be invaluable.

Additionally, college taught me how to learn and exposed me to subjects and interests I did not even know existed.

All in all, I would tell you to go to college if you can afford it, definitely, but really give some thought as to your major. Don't go to college first and choose your major later (like I did).

Sorry for the long post. I hope it helps.

Sounds like me, you have taken several different career paths in your life. I want to be a massage therapist. I knew a girl who did that. She worked when she felt like it from her own home. That's what I want to do. I want the best paying job that requires the least amount of energy expended. :)

I had actually thought about going into accounting. Because I'd love to work in the back room managing the computer formulas and so forth. I make Excel sheets all the time just on my own, and always been great at math. Got excited about it. But I was told it's not the 70s anymore. Computers do all the work and the real work of accountants is calling people up, using tricks and threatening them to get them to pay up. Something I'd be horrible at.

Accounting is the field I am in. I have my CPA and do taxes. Needless to say I hate my life this time of the year but only couple weeks or so to go. The 3 month busy season is nearly unbearable. This is my seventh and I'm not sure I will be able to tolerate another one. I mostly talk to people internally at our firm, but can get by. They don't have me talk to clients for the most part. The trade off is I work on our most complicated and large tax returns. The thing I don't like is there are a lot of grey areas in the tax code. And there are so many regulations and rules that one will never know it all. Thank you U.S. government for burdening your citizens a heinous, nontransparent tax system. Also, I love it when Congress passes new tax laws and make some pieces effective on some random ass date in the middle of the year. Congress does not know the meaning of real world practicality. Anyway, computers do not do all the work. There are a tool we use. If anything, technology and computers have allowed for tax regulations to become more and more complicated. The computers can do the complex calculations, but we need to understand it. There are so many schedules and formulas that even my aspie brain struggles to follow it all. Technology has actually made our jobs more difficult in a lot of ways in my opinion.

I plan on going back to school in August. I made the deans list at community college so I think I will do fine. It's working and following orders from someone that I suck at. My teachers in college looked at my papers and said, "...You wrote this?" haha. ;p What freaking major should I choose? I am terrible at math and I'll get to that one day. I am an insanely gifted writer if that helps. I was great at biology in school. I am a good at arguing politics. I love british literature.

How was your college experience? How has college enriched your life?

If you are not sure of what to pursue as a major, go undeclared for a while until you figure it out. I did. In my first year I was identified as a gifted writer so I majored in journalism. I was already a voracious reader, so I also majored in literature. Neither played a role in my chosen profession in the transportation industry, but I enjoyed my college experience because I studied and explored what interested me. I too am a political animal, and the highlight of my college career was interning as the editor of a small upstart newspaper during an intense political campaign. I played a major role in the outcome, and everyone was sure I would have a grand career on journalism. However, I followed the money and ended up on my current position that exposed me to another skillset that has served me well. I am still writing. In fact, I am in the process of writing my first book. I still read quite a bit, and I am politically active. Today I am nearing retirement and I am convinced I still do not know the extent of my capabilities, but I am keeping an open mind towards my post retirement career.

New Threads

Top Bottom