• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Any autism tendencies Temple Grandin doesn't have?

I would say her ability to speak before crowds numbering in the hundreds if not thousands. I dare say it is much more common for us on the spectrum in such situations to either freeze up or go into panic attack/shutdown mode. I know there is no way I could give such a presentation.

As for her ability to speak in front of complete strangers, this is something the individuals of species other than homo sapiens would never do. Cattle would never go to a distant herd and lecture about grass, for example.

How about people obsessions, I believe Temple Grandin does not and has never had those.

Supposing she doesn't?
What insight would that provide?

It is not necessary that any one individual personality encompass
each and every possible aspect on the continuum.

Because Temple is known for hating the way normal people think, claiming that autistic people are clearer thinkers than neurotypicals, how well does that go with being obsessive being a common sign of autism?

Okay, according to Temple and some others on the same spectrum, autistic people are clearer thinkers than neurotypicals, and one common sign of autism is being obsessive. Does that mean there is something logical about being obsessive, or does Temple not have them?

I don't have an obsession with a specific human being. I've heard of that but I didn't even know that was that common of an interest for autistic people to have. I get very attached to certain people but definitely not obsessed.

Temple Grandin might be the most famous autistic person, but that doesn't mean she meets every single diagnostic criteria.

Temple is known for being very autistic and as a child was full-blown autistic. She also gets frustrated at other people failing to get pictures she can clearly see and hates the way normal people think.
Could there nevertheless be traits of the spectrum that she doesn't have?
That is the whole point of this thread.

Tell me again, what the point of this thread is.

Is it to establish that a person can be on the spectrum
without exemplifying each and every known aspect of
autism?

Or what?

A lot of us Aspies overlap not every characteristic is in common. I find it frustrating that others cannot see in pictures the way I do, but then observing behavior of people I find fascinating. I would not use her as an example or over generalize what the rest of us are like.

I don't have an obsession with a specific human being. I've heard of that but I didn't even know that was that common of an interest for autistic people to have. I get very attached to certain people but definitely not obsessed.

Temple Grandin might be the most famous autistic person, but that doesn't mean she meets every single diagnostic criteria.
I often have a "favorite person" (term that i saw used in the bpd community), the high focus, mono tasking, wanting sameness from autism makes me prefer to only interact with one or two people at a time. But yeah idk if i would call it an obsession, it's not like i cross personal boundaries to know more about them.

Temple is known for being very autistic and as a child was full-blown autistic. She also gets frustrated at other people failing to get pictures she can clearly see and hates the way normal people think.
Could there nevertheless be traits of the spectrum that she doesn't have?
She says she doesn't think in words.
Many people with ASD think in words. Thinking in pictures is extremely difficult. I don't like visualizing exercises as I think in words.

I would say her ability to speak before crowds numbering in the hundreds if not thousands. I dare say it is much more common for us on the spectrum in such situations to either freeze up or go into panic attack/shutdown mode. I know there is no way I could give such a presentation.
That's the thing about ASD. Speaking in front of a big audeince can be so much easier if you have ASD.
I have heard NT people who say that normal social situations are easier than being on that stage. It so sounds really crazy to me.
You're much more in control on the stage than in social situations.

She says she doesn't think in words.
Many people with ASD think in words. Thinking in pictures is extremely difficult. I don't like visualizing exercises as I think in words.
She also says animals don't think in words and yet you claim thinking in pictures is extremely difficult.

New Threads

Top Bottom