• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Any autism tendencies Temple Grandin doesn't have?

Myrtonos

Temple is known for being very autistic and as a child was full-blown autistic. She also gets frustrated at other people failing to get pictures she can clearly see and hates the way normal people think.
Could there nevertheless be traits of the spectrum that she doesn't have?

Of course there can.

She's a person.
Not a manufactured model of autism, designed to fit some manual.

I suspect that there's always going to be some degree of "crossover" between both autistic and non-autistic people. Though that which truly defines us all may ultimately be a sheer number and amplitude of traits and behaviors, whether they are autistic or neurotypical in nature.

I think she was diagnosed with High functioning autism back when that was different to Aspergers because there had been language delay, which she had as a child. She has had scans done of her brain, and it is quite unusual and not typical of either NT or ND brains, but they think it can be seen on the scans how come she's so visual.

I think she was diagnosed with High functioning autism back when that was different to Aspergers because there had been language delay, which she had as a child. She has had scans done of her brain, and it is quite unusual and not typical of either NT or ND brains, but they think it can be seen on the scans how come she's so visual.
I got to speak with Dr. Grandin the day she returned my phone call.

We are actually very similar in visual abilities, but very different at the same time.

Temple Grandin is not the template for HF autism at all. Although I may share many traits & just as many not, I do not share this fascination or see her as an autistic messiah as social media YouTubers seem to.

Temple is somewhat of a bad influence imo. She keeps pushing the idea that autism is the birth of innovation or whatever by armchair diagnosing historical figures.

That kinda of stuff leads to autism supremacy and "autism is not a disorder" nonsense.

Temple is somewhat of a bad influence imo. She keeps pushing the idea that autism is the birth of innovation or whatever by armchair diagnosing historical figures.

That kinda of stuff leads to autism supremacy and "autism is not a disorder" nonsense.

I respect your opinion, but she is kind of right when she said it really isn't a disorder, yes, you could still refer to it as a disability but also a mindset too.

Personally I am inclined to think that we are perhaps an evolutionary thing. Our brains are evolving. I cannot believe it's just because diagnosis has improved. Our brains are not fully formed when born. Environmental factors can switch genes on or off. Mutate even.

Too soon, too rapid you may ask? Look at elephants being born tuskless as a result of poacher pressure over the last mere 20-30 years. That's some serious rapid changes to environmental pressure. Loads of valid research out there. Why are we any different? We consume a load more genetic mutating chemicals than elephants.

Last edited:
Too soon, too rapid you may ask? Look at elephants being born tuskless as a result of poacher pressure over the last mere 20-30 years. That's some serious rapid evolution to environmental pressure.

Actually, you got it wrong. Before the poaching thing. There were an even number of both tusked and tuskless elephants alike. The reason the tuskless elephants are winning out is because the tusked elephants are bring killed by the poachers before they have a chance to reach sexual maturity, and there for, don't reproduce. Tusked elephants didn't directly mutate into tuskless ones because of poaching.

Back to the topic, Temple Grandin is known for hating the way normal people think and indeed is considered quite a genius much like the historical figures she claims would be diagnosed today.
But judging from what she says about autistic people and comparisons with individuals of other species, any idea what traits she doesn't have? Many may be traits that tomboys on the spectrum like @Progster, generally don't have.

any idea what traits she doesn't have?
I don't think that anyone here knows her well enough to be able to say. We only know what she chooses to tell the public, and don't know what she might be like in private. You would have to ask her that question.

I don't even know who this person is. After reading comments on here I don't care to know them either.

Back to my bubble I go.

Ed

I don't think that anyone here knows her well enough to be able to say. We only know what she chooses to tell the public, and don't know what she might be like in private. You would have to ask her that question.
As a tomboy, think of the ones you don't have that Temple never says she says, nor anyone who does know her well enough says she has.

As a tomboy, think of the ones you don't have that Temple never says she says, nor anyone who does know her well enough says she has.
I don't know Temple well enough to know exactly what she says or doesn't say, and what's the relevance of being a tomboy anyway? She is a different person growing up in a different country under different circumstances, so of course there are going to be differences, no two people on the spectrum are ever the same.

Last edited:
I don't know Temple well enough to know exactly what she says or doesn't say, and what's the relevance of being a tomboy anyway? She is a different person growing up in a different country under different circumstances, so of course there are going to be differences, no two people on the spectrum are ever the same.
How about ones she never publically says she has, so not in any of her books or any lectures she's ever given. As for the relevance of being a tomboy, the thing is that you are known for being a very practical person and so is she, it seems to be a thing with tomboys on the spectrum, these may be autism tendencies that such tomboys tend not to have.

How about ones she never publically says she has, so not in any of her books or any lectures she's ever given
Since I don't know her personally and don't know what she's like in private, I have no way of knowing about these and so can't comment... and even if I did know her privately, I wouldn't want to discuss it on a public forum.

What is the point of the question "the ones she never publically says she has"?

What insight is there to be gained by this question?

New Threads

Top Bottom