• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Any Aspies or people with Autism with the inability to laugh hard?

DrSenlin

I'm a 28-year old guy with Aspergers, been diagnosed at the age of 22.

Ever since I was 9 I'm aware of the fact I just can't laugh really hard at something. Nothing is ever that funny. I never had tears of laughter, never had stomach pain of laughter, never had trouble breathing, never laughed minutes non-stop. I really think and feel like I'm the only one on the whole planet who's never experienced anything like it (apart from children who die early).

So naturally I'm jealous when others have this kind of reaction. I can't laugh along with them or be happy then, because I know that reaction is something I never experienced in my life. Is this normal for Aspergers?

I came across this quote this week from Stephen Chbosky's "The Perks of Being a Wallflower":

"There's nothing like deep breaths after laughing that hard. Nothing in the world like a sore stomach for the right reasons.”

The book is supposed to make you feel happy, but reading stuff like this depresses me greatly.

I feel like I'm missing out on something huge and essential and I really want to know if the lack of big laughs is something belonging to Aspergers Syndrome. I do laugh btw, but it's just your normal everyday kind of laughs.

If there's anyone who also hasn't ever experienced this, I'm glad I'm not alone. If you did however, please tell me what it's like and help me cope maybe. Maybe i make it too big and I can perfectly live without it? Tell me.

It's an interesting question. I have often read AS people say they have difficulty getting jokes/humor (particularly sarcasm). As far as never laughing hard, I don't know, because the subject hasn't come up before that I remember.

It doesn't happen frequently but has happened for me. I don't think it happens frequently with NTs either.

Ever since I was 9 I'm aware of the fact I just can't laugh really hard at something. Nothing is ever that funny. I never had tears of laughter, never had stomach pain of laughter, never had trouble breathing, never laughed minutes non-stop. I really think and feel like I'm the only one on the whole planet who's never experienced anything like it (apart from children who die early).

So naturally I'm jealous when others have this kind of reaction. I can't laugh along with them or be happy then, because I know that reaction is something I never experienced in my life. Is this normal for Aspergers?

I came across this quote this week from Stephen Chbosky's "The Perks of Being a Wallflower":

"There's nothing like deep breaths after laughing that hard. Nothing in the world like a sore stomach for the right reasons.”

The book is supposed to make you feel happy, but reading stuff like this depresses me greatly.

I feel like I'm missing out on something huge and essential and I really want to know if the lack of big laughs is something belonging to Aspergers Syndrome. I do laugh btw, but it's just your normal everyday kind of laughs.

If there's anyone who also hasn't ever experienced this, I'm glad I'm not alone. If you did however, please tell me what it's like and help me cope maybe. Maybe i make it too big and I can perfectly live without it? Tell me.
yes I’ve done it but I think because I’m autistic I don’t do it to the degree where it would be considered normal I just don’t see the need The clap every time somebody performs something ,I know I just want my panic attacks to end, trying to be accepted come second,

It happens now and again, but not more than a couple of times in a year and I'd say the same with every woman I've lived with too (all were NT). We laugh a lot at home - my wife & I have very similar senses of humour and countless silly in-jokes that make us giggle, smirk, titter & chortle, but rip-roaring, belly-aching, tears-streaming laughter isn't something that happens often.

It happens now and again, but not more than a couple of times in a year and I'd say the same with every woman I've lived with too (all were NT). We laugh a lot at home - my wife & I have very similar senses of humour and countless silly in-jokes that make us giggle, smirk, titter & chortle, but rip-roaring, belly-aching, tears-streaming laughter isn't something that happens often.

Well a few times a year is a lot more than never at all

here is some information you might find interesting ,some humans suffer from what is known as emotional lability, what that means is they cannot control their emotions ,it happens to people with Neuro degenerative conditions ,which means for instance they could laugh uncontrollably and have no intention of doing that ,imagine doing something like that which would be horrifying to you ,when you know you never wanted to do it or to cry uncontrollably, I’ve seen it firsthand it happens to neurotypical’s and the neurodiverse , just because we laugh hard doesn’t necessarily mean it is coming from something beneficial ,people could laugh from pure malice,Or complete sarcasm what you’ve experienced is what you’ve experienced ,what I’ve experienced is what I’ve experienced ,we are completely unique there are people with autism spectrum disorder that never speak imagine never being able to speak at all i’ve seen how it affects somebody when they cannot communicate If you can’t express laughter outwardly but you can express it inwardly hopefully it has some benefit ,I wouldn’t be so arrogant as to say I know if it does, I live my life every day hoping I will not make a sound and being unnerved if I do.

Indeed. I've not come across it being an aspect of autism though. Some of the autists I know are veritable comedians and like nothing more than a good laugh. Our senses of humour are very personal and are influenced by our upbringing, our overall state of mind and in particular the culture we live in. Laughter of the type you describe is the equivalent of uncontrollable sobbing and can be distressing & painful if you can't stop.

here is some information you might find interesting ,some humans suffer from what is known as emotional lability, what that means is they cannot control their emotions ,it happens to people with Neuro degenerative conditions ,which means for instance they could laugh uncontrollably and have no intention of doing that ,imagine doing something like that which would be horrifying to you ,when you know you never wanted to do it or to cry uncontrollably, I’ve seen it firsthand it happens to neurotypical’s and the neurodiverse , just because we laugh hard doesn’t necessarily mean it is coming from something beneficial ,people could laugh from pure malice,Or complete sarcasm what you’ve experienced is what you’ve experienced ,what I’ve experienced is what I’ve experienced ,we are completely unique there are people with autism spectrum disorder that never speak imagine never being able to speak at all i’ve seen how it affects somebody when they cannot communicate If you can’t express laughter outwardly but you can express it inwardly hopefully it has some benefit ,I wouldn’t be so arrogant as to say I know if it does, I live my life every day hoping I will not make a sound and being unnerved if I do.

Thanks dude, that helps at least a bit :)

Indeed. I've not come across it being an aspect of autism though. Some of the autists I know are veritable comedians and like nothing more than a good laugh. Our senses of humour are very personal and are influenced by our upbringing, our overall state of mind and in particular the culture we live in. Laughter of the type you describe is the equivalent of uncontrollable sobbing and can be distressing & painful if you can't stop.

I sobbed uncontrollably one time in my life I think, last year.

Happened a few times, both the laughing and the sobbing. And, well, it was kind of terrifying. Your stomach starts to hurt, breathing gets short and you can't stop. Not sure if I liked it, to be honest. I'd take cuddling with a loved one any day over that weird, unstoppable laugh. It's loud too and worse yet, you are loud.

The sobbing is especially ridiculous, though, always gives a migraine afterwards and makes you feel terribly spent. Better to avoid that one.

I laugh a lot. I probably have twenty episodes a year, minimum, of hearty laughter. It erases some of the pain. It's better than sex.

Sorry you aren't all able to enjoy that.

I've had some experiences where I've laughed so hard that it was hard to breathe and have had tears. A few times I could barely stop laughing. It is pretty rare though and hasn't happened in a long time. Generally speaking, I don't find a lot of things funny that others do. I would like to laugh more.

I've laughed so much I think I have laugh scars (wrinkles) LOL I just laughed at this and its not even funny. But as for extremes, countless times I've laughed like a madman, cried like a madman, yelled and screamed like a madman, and whatever else probably too. I've been calm (drugged) for about a year and a half now. But I've gotten a lot of stares and shushes from laughing too loud. I usually laugh loud. It just bursts out like a rocket. None of my control!

But, one time, over ten years ago, I laughed loudly and my co-worker said, "I wish I could do that," and talked about what you're talking about right now. So you're not alone. Unless that was you. Ha!

I've experienced it.
More when I was young. After 30 it hardly ever happened.
You can live without it.
The emotion is great, the physical part isn't.
When I couldn't stop a few times, I got short of breath, hard to breath and that doesn't feel good.
Then it usually made me cough for a while after.

I still laugh just normally sometimes at some silly thing on TV mainly.
On the opposite I have yelled and screamed in anger to the point once I lost my voice for a week.
Not fun.

Silly stuff like this always made me laugh.

I laugh a lot and I have on occasion laughed so hard I peed my pants. The peeing part wasn’t that fun, but other than that I like laughing. Laughing uncontrollably and laughing so hard I cry or lose my breath doesn’t happen on a daily basis, but a few times a month it does. It’s very cathartic for me. Joking is my #1 coping mechanism and with that comes a lot of laughter.

I laugh a lot and I have on occasion laughed so hard I peed my pants. The peeing part wasn’t that fun, but other than that I like laughing. Laughing uncontrollably and laughing so hard I cry or lose my breath doesn’t happen on a daily basis, but a few times a month it does. It’s very cathartic for me. Joking is my #1 coping mechanism and with that comes a lot of laughter.

I'm the same, I laugh a lot and find it very cathartic and uplifting.

I've peed myself more than once because of laughter. I also find that laughing that hard causes difficulty breathing or starts a coughing fit which in turn makes me laugh harder and appear to be choking.

Humour is my coping mechanism. People regularly tell me that I'm naturally funny, particularly when explaining every day situations or observations. IRL that is. I doubt I'm humorous on here as tone gets lost. And people are laughing with me, not at me. I know the difference :D

I find Billy Connolly type humour to be hilarious, observational, every day life situations seen through humour.

I don't get jokes and always have to ask 'what does that mean' but other types of humour - love it!

I am so serious that people call me Grandpa, and I rarely laugh.

When I used to laugh in public people would stare at me and/or make comments such as saying that I sounded retarded and weird. And these were not only teenagers that told me me this, even people in their 20s, 30s and 40s used to call me retarded for my unusual laugh, if I did ever laugh.

Last year at a meetup some idiots in their 20s were telling each other stupid jokes and when I passed by they picked on me for not laughing, then started sarcastically patting me on the back and asking if I were mute or retarded and stuff, then kept saying, "What, you cannot take a joke?" and kept nudging me on my arms. Apparently that is how normal people make jokes and expect others to laugh? I had to shout to them to f*** off before they stopped.

Last edited:

I watched this just now. I dont know why Youtube waved it at me.

Suffice it to say though, I do indeed seem to have the ability to laugh too hard.

Usually devolves into a huge coughing fit, and when I have coughing fits I sound like a cat that isnt quite sure what to do with that hairball. If I'm standing up at the time the funny starts, I soon wont be.

I think everyone is different. I rarely laugh out loud, and generally do not find silly humor funny at all. I do laugh, but I have a very dry sense of humor. I also generally do not cry, but did cry uncontrollably at my best friend's funeral and when I had to have a pet dog euthanized. On the other hand I experienced no significant emotion when my parents or other family members passed away. The narrow range of emotions concern me because I have difficulty relating to feelings of loss that other people feel.

New Threads

Top Bottom