• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Any Aspie Dancers?

Pondering

Because I am so clumsy and awkward about any kind of movement, I make for a very poor dancer. Even with simple and short routines. I know aspies tend to have slightly less coordination than NTs. But Asperger's Syndrome and the autism spectrum varies so widely on such an individual basis. So I was just wondering out of curiousity: are there any dancers who are also aspies/on the autism spectrum? I would appreciate any responses. Thank you.

There are a few martial artists here. I've read that inconsistency is a hallmark of all neurological conditions, so it'd make sense we're covered from bruises head to toe from walking face-first into the wall, but can be quite dextrous and agile on the mat or dance floor.

One of the reasons that I cannot dance well is that I cannot hear the beat unless the drummer is pounding it out. I use the old terms "tin eared" and "tone deaf" to describe this deficiency. I also cannot tell that "C" played in different scales is the same note (not even sure that is correct).

When a band is tuning up and the organ player hits a note to enable the guitar player to tune his instrument, all I hear is two different sounds. As an engineer I know exactly what they are doing, but I cannot hear it.

I do hear different sounds, but at a lower richness level than most. The way I describe it best is using an analogy; I watched a show on a Black and white TV and you watched it on a color TV. I saw everything you saw, but at a lower level of detail.

I'm a rubbish dancer and the thought of dancing in public terrifies me, but when I'm alone at home (99% of the time) and I like a song I sometimes like to move around to the music - probably not a great mental image :p

I've come to wonder if it's actually just another one of my (many) stims.

Anybody else like to 'bust a move' at home?

I am a terrible dancer, to me it's stimming but faster. However, as Ashe said, I can manage taichi, qigong etc with some semblance of grace ;)

I would never deign to call myself a true dancer, but I do like to dance. Some people have even told me I dance well, so far as amateur improv goes. I have tried following choreography though, and I find it very difficult. I am also quite clumsy, generally speaking. I'm always bumping into things, dropping objects and failing terribly at sports.

One incident where I felt especially graceful was the time I tried sword play with a group who meet in a nearby park. I managed to best some people who were far more experienced than myself, then after my victory I tripped over some concrete and skinned my knee.

When a band is tuning up and the organ player hits a note to enable the guitar player to tune his instrument, all I hear is two different sounds.

Hmm. As you are most likely aware, most sounds are actually composed of a variety frequencies. When people refer to a note they usually mean the most dominant wave length. Unless you are using a tone generator, however, it is the combination of undertones that give a sound it's unique character. Perhaps you are having difficulty separating the dominant pitch from all the others?

I've never attempted to dance in my life, I despise being the center of attention and am so nervous around people, so it's never been something that's taken my interest. And I am so clumsy, only yesterday I walked into a door frame and banged my head. Haha

Mmm well I am pretty clumsy. I am not a dancer is the proper sense; but I love dancing. I tend to flow with the song. But actually I really am not into all this line dancing or ones where several get together and have special moves.

I can feel music and just go with the flow and I have to admit, I am not clumsy but fluid.

I'm a rubbish dancer and the thought of dancing in public terrifies me, but when I'm alone at home (99% of the time) and I like a song I sometimes like to move around to the music - probably not a great mental image :p

I've come to wonder if it's actually just another one of my (many) stims.

Anybody else like to 'bust a move' at home?

Yes, I love dancing on my own at home; but as soon as in the public eye, I go to pieces and feel too shy. I have tried looking at myself in the mirror, when I am dancing, but it is way too painful and so, I look away and pretend I look great lol

Since walking is a challenge for me, dancing is out. I am way, way to clumsy. It does not help that I wear a size 13 shoe. My wife likes to dance, but not with me. I guess she does not like getting stepped on.

Dancing. To me that's the epitome of common social rituals. I've done it, and felt horribly awkward for doing so. Just never felt quite right.

At least NOW I understand why. Dancing...dating....it's just NOT me. Maybe with the right partner and the right song...but that's quite a longshot. :p

I'm afraid if I tried to dance someone might think I'm having a seizure and call an ambulance. That would be embarrassing.

I'm afraid if I tried to dance someone might think I'm having a seizure and call an ambulance. That would be embarrassing.

Or they might stand and study you in awe of a new dance step called "The Seizure". Ya never know... :p

I still remember "the jerk" from the 60s. How much different could that be? ;)

Ugh! I'm just glad my last dance was shortly before disco. I don't think a leisure suit or a bandage would have helped me. And the club probably would have thrown me out for having sideburns. :eek:

Last edited:
<3 to cut a rug in the living room if a fav tune comes on sometimes; other days if I feel like that I'll put music on specially to burn off to. My happiness mode can feel a little hyper sometimes, so it's a good outlet :)

I briefly took ballet lesson when in my twenties, and the teacher said I had the perfect build for it. Having said that, I often got confused when taking lessons, getting things in reverse for example. But during the time I took lessons, I was a lot less clumsy and developed a very good sense of balance. Now I am back to being a klutz again. :)

New Threads

Top Bottom