• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Any advice for reducing visual distractions on websites?

Bellacat

I'm using Chrome and I already have an adblocker installed as well as something called "Animation Policy" which disables animated images. These things help to some extent, but there are still so many newsletter popups and videos or slideshows that play automatically.

I just want to read articles or search for recipes in peace.

Does anyone have tips for how to calm things down a bit? Are there any browser settings or addons or something that can prevent videos from playing automatically and/or block popups?

If you use Chrome check out Adblock plus. It's free and works great. It's. Chrome extension.

I use Adblocker Ultimate in Firefox that works very well, plus they also offer the same package for Chrome.

Do not know the Chrome browser all that much. In using Firefox for many years, there is the option in the setup of preventing any video's from playing automatically. I'm assuming that Chrome has a similar option. If you look at the setup, in firefox it's under privacy and security, permissions, (autoplay), block audio and video.

Last edited:
As I said I'm already using an adblocker, but it doesn't stop videos, slideshows, and other distractions that are not ads.

I just want websites to stay still so I can focus on the content I came for.

Since I posted the thread I tried searching for "reading mode" and I did find an extension that might work. It's called Notebook Web Clipper and it extracts the text, removing images altogether. It will definitely help for articles but if there's any way to just make all websites stay still, have videos paused by default until I push play, that would be so much better.

I frequently click on information links and then have to disable my ad blocker (or pay to subscribe) in order to read the linked article! How is that fair? I mean, this must happen at least once a day. It's irritating.

You could always download a copy of whatever you are researching and view it offline.

Do not know the Chrome browser all that much. In using Firefox for many years, there is the option in the setup of preventing any video's from playing automatically. I'm assuming that Chrome has a similar option. If you look at the setup, in firefox it's under privacy and security, permissions, (autoplay), block auto and video.

Hmm, I found the part of settings that seems like it should have that but I don't see the option. I do see the option to remove all images which is not helpful, but tells me I'm looking in the place where the option to prevent videos from playing should be, if it exists.

You could always download a copy of whatever you are researching and view it offline.

The web clipper extension will help for instances where that would be worthwhile, but for jumping around various websites looking for recipes, for example, it wouldn't be practical.

Do not know the Chrome browser all that much. In using Firefox for many years, there is the option in the setup of preventing any video's from playing automatically. I'm assuming that Chrome has a similar option. If you look at the setup, in firefox it's under privacy and security, permissions, (autoplay), block auto and video.
I have that FF extension running too

I'm using Chrome and I already have an adblocker installed as well as something called "Animation Policy" which disables animated images. These things help to some extent, but there are still so many newsletter popups and videos or slideshows that play automatically.

I just want to read articles or search for recipes in peace.

Does anyone have tips for how to calm things down a bit? Are there any browser settings or addons or something that can prevent videos from playing automatically and/or block popups?
Look for something saying.org they usually don’t have adverts go to the app section of your device and look for apps that say no advertising don’t mention purchasing read the reviews in case they’ve started to add advertising Look for something saying.org ,they usually don’t have adverts ,go to the upper section of your device and look for apps that say no advertising don’t mention purchasing read the reviews in case they’ve started to add advertising ,The information for each app might be out of date,Another good way is to go to supermarkets because they’ve already got advertising so you won’t get blinking adverts ,if you want recipes specifically,If you want advice on DIY go to large DIY Chain websites,If you want advice on other things go to very small companies businesses they usually don’t have advertisements ,you don’t have to buy from them !just use their knowledge.

Well, unfortunately the extensions didn't work.
Maybe there is no solution

Apparently Chrome used to have one, but after the last two updates the user is now unable to
undo the autoplay function.

There is another solution, replace your browser with another that allows you to disable the autoplay.

Last edited:
If you happen to have a Mac, there's a program called Little Snitch that allows you to block outgoing connections on a per app basis. It's got a very easy to use interface.

Once I got it set up, I pretty much get no ads, or videos or anything like that popping up on sites I frequent regularly (obviously, new sites I visit may need to be "fixed" on a site by site basis though).

It's really quite crazy how many other connections your computer makes when you hit a single website.. Many websites will make connections to 10-20 other domains when loading a single web page.. You can usually narrow that down to 1-3 and have the page still function perfectly. It's a quieter internet this way, and also pages load faster when it doesn't need to get all that other crap loaded too.

If you're on that other operating system though, I'm not sure you have any great options.. I think you might be able to try and do something similar with Windows Firewall, but I'm not familiar enough with it to say.. I'm pretty sure that user interface is nowhere near as simple though..
I've searched for Windows apps that work similarly to Little Snitch, but I gather the architecture of Windows somehow precludes such an app from working in the same way..

Do you have any specific examples you can show of the types of content you want to remove? That'd make it alot easier to recommend solutions.

I mean, I dont really see ANY of that sort of thing when I'm browsing, but my browser is also absolutely drowning in extensions, and the PC as a whole is a freaking fortress. It'd be hard for me to choose specifics to mention without knowing exactly what you're after.

Do you have any specific examples you can show of the types of content you want to remove? That'd make it alot easier to recommend solutions.

Here's a specific example:

Yesterday I was looking for a marinade recipe. On this site (and so, so many others) Basic Marinade for Stir-Fried Meats Recipe, when I open the page a completely unrelated video appears in the sidebar "How to make the best American meatballs". The video locks in place and obnoxiously follows me when I scroll down to find the ingredient list, so I can't ignore it. I have to stop reading and take the time to locate the pause button before I can continue looking at the ingredient list. But wait, I can't pause the video immediately.. I have to wait for it to finish loading and start playing first. I can't read the recipe in the meantime because of the spinning loading icon constantly pulling my attention back to the video box. Since it's annoying to just sit and look a loading circle (even just for a few seconds), I flip to something else, but then I get sidetracked and many times I never make it back.

If this was happening occasionally, fine, I'd wait and pause the video and carry on.. but it's constant! Many websites I just click away from immediately because there is too much clutter from "give us your email" popups, videos, ads that sneak through the blocker (or sites that don't let you access their content without turning the blocker off), and those god forsaken cookie notices.

Regarding the suggestions to use another browser: I appreciate the advice, but I like Chrome and don't want to switch. If there isn't a solution for Chrome at the moment, which it doesn't sound like there is, then I will have to accept that unfortunately this is just how it is to use the internet these days.

I found a better extension called Just Read which is similar to the one I mentioned earlier, but you only have to click once on the extension icon to convert the page. That should solve the problem, at least the worst of it :)

Thanks everyone for your suggestions!

New Threads

Top Bottom