• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Anxiety and medicine

Ragnahawk

V.I.P Member
I've started taking small doses of prosac just a few days ago. The first thing I noticed was I don't feel as much of an anxious feeling in my belly. I still get chills down my spine but the feeling isn't robbing me of my decisions anymore. One of the side effects is a little bit of drowsiness. Made me immediately paranoid first day that I was turning into a zombie. So I started to test the waters and try doing what I do normally. Then I added in decisions I wouldn't normally do like go on a run by myself. For the most part I have started to do this form of hyperfocusing again. I used to do it all the time in school. Like daydreaming I guess. I just float away, body on autopilot.

I did this on the workout while excercising. Got a good workout. My room is being loud. That is another scenario where the med is working. I usually start freaking out when I hear all that noise outside my door.

What are your experiences on anxiety meds if you take them?

I've started taking small doses of prosac just a few days ago. The first thing I noticed was I don't feel as much of an anxious feeling in my belly. I still get chills down my spine but the feeling isn't robbing me of my decisions anymore. One of the side effects is a little bit of drowsiness. Made me immediately paranoid first day that I was turning into a zombie. So I started to test the waters and try doing what I do normally. Then I added in decisions I wouldn't normally do like go on a run by myself. For the most part I have started to do this form of hyperfocusing again. I used to do it all the time in school. Like daydreaming I guess. I just float away, body on autopilot.

I did this on the workout while excercising. Got a good workout. My room is being loud. That is another scenario where the med is working. I usually start freaking out when I hear all that noise outside my door.

What are your experiences on anxiety meds if you take them?
I take the citalopram it's milder than what you take but you probably take a lower dose .
I felt what you felt for the first few days :blush:then it was back to alert :pensive:I wish I changed it after a few months and I wish I'd known it would become less potent after a short period and I wish I'd been given a sedative I need to sleep but they don't sedate you:weary:

I'm on an anti-anxiety med. It works fairly well for me. I tried a few different ones before I found one that I liked ok. But most all meds can give you weird feelings or side effects in the beginning. With a lot of them that goes away after a short period. There are multiple meds available. Something to talk with your doctor about if you don't like a side effect or feel its not really working well enough.

I take Prozac, too. Only 10mg and that is just enough. I still have anxiety but I am able to move past it now. Something starts worrying me and I can actually distract myself now. No miracles, but no side effects for me. I tried Zoloft once and that was all I got. My tummy hurt terribly from that stuff.

I'm very invested in the topic of anxiety medication. I was also recently prescribed a small dose of Prozac in addition to my Propranolol, and it seems to help a little bit. I was taking a small-to-moderate dose of Xanax, but ever since stopping that my anxiety has actually gotten better, probably because it would spike when the Xanax wore off and I didn't take enough Xanax to stay doped out all day.

Propranolol is very effective for that chills-down-your-spine type of anxiety. It's primarily a blood pressure medication that works by blocking the adrenaline response. The practical effect of this is that you aren't scared of anything; it's like you have ice in your veins.

Also, with my observation that it's about as powerful of an anxiolytic as Lorazepam, I'm about to try Chamomile in the form of capsules for daytime anxiety (once they come in the mail). There isn't any good literature I can find about proper dosing, etc with measured doses of Chamomile, so as an experienced psychonaut I plan to do a quasi-scientific self-study to determine the efficacy of Chamomile as an anxiolytic, the minimum effective dose, duration of effects, whether it causes too much sedation to be worth it, etc. This is largely for my psychiatrist, who is very interested in herbal alternatives to benzodiazapines for the already over-medicated autistic population, but I'll blog my results here too.

I'm very invested in the topic of anxiety medication. I was also recently prescribed a small dose of Prozac in addition to my Propranolol, and it seems to help a little bit. I was taking a small-to-moderate dose of Xanax, but ever since stopping that my anxiety has actually gotten better, probably because it would spike when the Xanax wore off and I didn't take enough Xanax to stay doped out all day.

Propranolol is very effective for that chills-down-your-spine type of anxiety. It's primarily a blood pressure medication that works by blocking the adrenaline response. The practical effect of this is that you aren't scared of anything; it's like you have ice in your veins.

Also, with my observation that it's about as powerful of an anxiolytic as Lorazepam, I'm about to try Chamomile in the form of capsules for daytime anxiety (once they come in the mail). There isn't any good literature I can find about proper dosing, etc with measured doses of Chamomile, so as an experienced psychonaut I plan to do a quasi-scientific self-study to determine the efficacy of Chamomile as an anxiolytic, the minimum effective dose, duration of effects, whether it causes too much sedation to be worth it, etc. This is largely for my psychiatrist, who is very interested in herbal alternatives to benzodiazapines for the already over-medicated autistic population, but I'll blog my results here too.
I want to see your research. I'm not the resourceful type. I'm just the guy who comes up with all kinds of crazy possibilities.

I take sertraline, the first week was awful emotionally and I had a few physical symptoms like lack of appetite and drowziness, after that things improved a lot, by the end of the second month my anxiety was decreased to a point that it doesn't impact my life at all.

I take sertraline, the first week was awful emotionally and I had a few physical symptoms like lack of appetite and drowziness, after that things improved a lot, by the end of the second month my anxiety was decreased to a point that it doesn't impact my life at all.

I have started on sertraline today.
Lack of appetite I have anyway.
Drowsiness I would welcome - with open arms!

The amount and severity of possible side effects on the patient information is astonishing

I'm off my meds right now trying to just cope with life as it comes... Not doing so well actully.
Yesterday was one of those really tough days, it was one right after the next.

It wouldnt let up so I finally took a xanax and went to sleep upset with myself, woke up upset with myself...
Beyond all the nightmares of panic attacks is the anxiety hangover afterwards.
One of my long lasting things is my left chest hurts during and after sometimes for days, or weeks, it scares me. I think my worrying over it, triggers new ones. All day I fought to find the energy to function.

I take xanax for emergency, and I'm supposed to be on Wellbutrin all the time but I just dont like it.
It seems to make me, not me... I dont know really how to put in words.
It might be all in my head... who knows?

I take therapeutic levels of niacin.

Does it make your skin red? ... that probably just sounded stupid... : )
It makes me red faced and I am resonably dark complected. I do like how it makes me feel, except it seems if its hot outside, my skin tingles alot.

I have taken Xanax in moderate doses for many years.
Having worked in pharmaceuticals most of my life
I would say it is one of the safest anti-anxiety drugs.
Long term use studies have failed to show harmful effects to the body like antidepressants or antipsychotics as long as you keep it at a low to moderate dose.

There are many drugs for other reasons some have to take the rest of their lives. Like medicines for high blood pressure or heart arrythmias and such.
I also take propranolol. Have for 30 years!
I have tachycardia of unknown source without it.
No damage from the drug.

Read the long sheets of side effects and what any drug can do to your body before taking it, especially for long periods of time. By the long sheets I mean the ones that come with the drug to the pharmacy. Usually it is not given out to patients thinking they won't understand the meanings and terms, but, if you ask for it they will let you have one.
They can also be found on-line under the drug's name.
Google it, as they say if you want.
And of course listen to your body when starting a new drug.

My experience of antidepressants has been worse than bad, I was wrongfully prescribed seroxat (paroxetine) which totally changed my personality for the worse, I started feeling invincible and even violent which is totally not me in the very slightest, but the worst thing was I kind of enjoyed my new found power in a harmful way, I actually went out and picked up an aggressive women who I was then attracted to (when I came off the drug she walked all over me in a violent way as I reverted back and was no longer a strong person). I'm normally very placid and am never ever even in the slightest bit violent, in fact my nature contributed towards me becoming an easier target for bullying when I was younger, but on these dangerous drugs I would literally dream about fighting and punching people in my sleep, often waking up punching out very violently for a few seconds until I became fully conscious and I even ended up unconsciously hurting a partner I had for a short while. While on this terrible drug I later ended up taking hard drugs which destroyed my life (been clean for over 12 years and I don't even drink alcohol), I was a totally different person and in fact the drug made me dangerous (I did hold back being physically violent apart from in my sleep, but the want was there). I was wrongfully misdiagnosed and given this "quick fix" when I complained to my doctor about being very tired and not being able to work properly despite sleeping for sometimes 12 hours a night, much later after losing my job it was found that I in fact had an under active thyroid and sleep apnea which both cause severe fatigue when left untreated, I had absolutely no chance what-so-ever. There's been masses of law suits regarding this awful drug, unfortunately mostly in the US which meant I never got compensation in the UK, there was even a man who was acquitted for killing his family while influenced by this prescribed drug and yet many people are still prescribed it around the world (it is now packaged under various different names, but it is the same drug, if I had never been on the drug I wouldn't have believed the man should have been acquitted, but with the feelings I felt while on this drug I understand and can actually relate to him, I honestly don't think it was truly his fault). The pharmaceuticals companies are certainly king and this shows how powerful and corrupt they truly are, yet people still trust them.

Here is another couple of examples:

1) My brother who is a severely low functioning autistic adult and can't for instance count to 5 is hyperactive and has "behaviour problems", this was especially the case when he was younger. The doctors and experts thought it would be a great idea to put him on drugs to calm him down and unfortunately they persuaded my parents. My brother however was put into a semi vegetated state, doped up to the eye balls, he barely did anything and he certainly was no longer my brother. The experts then told my parents what an amazing improvement they saw in my brother and how great the treatment was. It was shocking and thankfully my parents insisted against all medical advise to get my brother off these horrid drugs and I soon got my brother back from the world he was wrongfully forced into.

2) When my brother was a bit older my parents stupidly allowed experts to try him on an alternative drug to calm him down which I didn't know about or I would have strongly protested, but I'd moved out to my own flat. These soon put my brother into hospital with severe jaundice and liver failure that almost killed him, luckily he did start recovering after coming of the drugs. I wanted my parents to take the NHS to court for compensation, but against my advice they just accepted an apology, unfortunately they would always take the "easy" option. I strongly disagreed as the NHS never truly paid for this mistake and it wasn't bought to the public attention, because of them not pursuing this it will now most likely happen to others when they prescribe this potentially deadly drug and next time it could kill someone (if it did you can be sure it would be covered up if that was possible). My brother may have still suffered permanently long term liver damage that could possibly affect him in later life, who knows as the doctors that caused it definitely wouldn't tell us if it had.

My parents are now elderly and are still caring for both my extremely low functioning autistic adult brothers. When they pass away my brothers will unfortunately be cared for my the state and then it severely worries me how they will be treated and worse of all what dangerous drugs they will try and force into them in order to "keep them quiet". I will obviously try to ensure this doesn't happen, but I may have a limited say since I am on the autistic spectrum myself.

Antidepressants and antipsychotics are usually given as a cheap "quick fix" instead of providing an adequate amount of real support, they rarely help in the long term, often have nasty side effects, they commonly change the person into something they're not, they're normally addictive both psychologically and also physically, they might appear to help in the short term, but so do many narcotics which often feel great at first, even heroin, crack and meth, but at an extremely high cost and in fact even some street narcotics used to be prescribed as antidepressants when they were also accepted and trusted by the general public. Most of all these drugs make the very powerful pharmaceutical companies $Billions and that's why they continue to push these dangerous drugs while they cover up the adverse issues with their extremely expensive lawyers and money most certainly talks even over the law. Where there is power there is usually corruption, they clearly know these drugs are harmful, but they're making far too much money and have far too much power to care, all they truly care about is not being bought to justice and being able to continue making $Billions even if it's at other people's expense, especially the vulnerable.

Please don't be deceived by doctors telling you that you have "clinical depression", this is almost always total utter rubbish to help convince people to take these drugs and if there was an issue look at taking non drug related supplements instead in careful moderation, refuse to take these harmful drugs. If someone suddenly had some terrible things happen to them in life, E.g. they lost their job and wife, the chemicals in the brain would also show an "unbalance", but this is NOT clinical depression, instead it's a natural way to make the person feel non physical pain as part of a survival instinct to hopefully make the person improve their situation. If you feel depressed look for genuine support rather than a drug that never deals with the true underlying causes and instead just tries to block the bad feeling in the short term which in fact reduces the chances of the person actually ever dealing with the real cause. People feel bad and/or depressed for a reason, it may not always be obvious, but there is nearly always a reason even if it's from the distant past. Even with people on the autistic spectrum there is nearly always reason for depression, for instance the person isn't doing well in life. I also fully understand the anxiety caused by being on the autistic spectrum, but blocking this with harmful drugs is not the solution, instead there's much better ways to learn to control anxiety with the right support.

If you are already taking these drugs please come off them very gradually, since they're usually very addictive you can't normally stop taking them immediately or the adverse effects will be severe. Even the milder forms of antidepressants and/or antipsychotics aren't the best, you may not really notice you're taking them any more, but this is often because the body has now built up a tolerance and you will also often find you are very addicted at this stage too. It may also be because you are so used to the drug that you now don't remember what it is like to be fully conscious which only happens when you are not taking mind altering drugs.

Last edited:
@pjcnet when your brain is literally keeping you from excercising, driving, or going to heavily populated areas. I have to weigh my decision on a pendulum. A little danger, over constant danger like someone pulled a weapon on me. If I continue to worry about everything I make mistakes, and get worn out mentally. Life of constant anxiety. Life of reduced anxiety at small cost.

@pjcnet when your brain is literally keeping you from excercising, driving, or going to heavily populated areas. I have to weigh my decision on a pendulum. A little danger, over constant danger like someone pulled a weapon on me. If I continue to worry about everything I make mistakes, and get worn out mentally. Life of constant anxiety. Life of reduced anxiety at small cost.
They may appear to be helping you now, but it's too early to say what the true cost will be unfortunately.

Edit: I hope I'm wrong, but I would at least look into other support too.

Last edited:
They may appear to be helping you now, but it's too early to say what the true cost will be unfortunately.

It can happen.

I took the beta-blocker Mellaril (Thioridizine) for years, only to decide to wean myself off it and then later discovered it was taken off the market due to some nasty side effects relative to irregular heartbeats.

A symptom I have had up to perhaps the last year. Now wondering if such a condition (Premature Atrial Contractions) has simply gone away after so many years.

It can happen.

I took the beta-blocker Mellaril (Thioridizine) for years, only to decide to wean myself off it and then later discovered it was taken off the market due to some nasty side effects relative to irregular heartbeats.

A symptom I have had up to perhaps the last year. Now wondering if such a condition (Premature Atrial Contractions) has simply gone away after so many years.
From what my GP said I think you have it permanently ,strangely she said that but never said why don't you have your heart tested.

From what my GP said I think you have it permanently ,strangely she said that but never said why don't you have your heart tested.

I originally ended up in an ER over it years ago. But the doctors were very specific in that PACs are not a worrisome thing compared to PVCs. They prescribed Metroprolol to me and I took it for two weeks and that was that. Never sought help for it again. Though once it was explained to me it was that much less concerning to me when it would happen. Got to the point where it became a minor annoyance and nothing more. Used to happen every so many months or so. No big deal. Though as I said, in the last few months it's as if the condition stopped altogether. I guess time will tell!

I have taken Xanax in moderate doses for many years.
Having worked in pharmaceuticals most of my life
I would say it is one of the safest anti-anxiety drugs.
Long term use studies have failed to show harmful effects to the body like antidepressants or antipsychotics as long as you keep it at a low to moderate dose.

There are many drugs for other reasons some have to take the rest of their lives. Like medicines for high blood pressure or heart arrythmias and such.
I also take propranolol. Have for 30 years!
I have tachycardia of unknown source without it.
No damage from the drug.

Read the long sheets of side effects and what any drug can do to your body before taking it, especially for long periods of time. By the long sheets I mean the ones that come with the drug to the pharmacy. Usually it is not given out to patients thinking they won't understand the meanings and terms, but, if you ask for it they will let you have one.
They can also be found on-line under the drug's name.
Google it, as they say if you want.
And of course listen to your body when starting a new drug.
As you will know from being in the pharmacy profession Xanax is part of the benzodiazepine family which are some of the most addictive and also therefore in my opinion most dangerous drugs prescribed to people. There was many thousands of people hooked on Valium, it got such a terrible reputation for creating addicts that the brand name is never used any more, instead it's simply called diazepam these days, this is of course also a benzodiazepine and incredibly despite the severe issues it's still prescribed regularly. Over 12 years ago in the UK when I used to be on hard drugs I still saw numerous extremely desperate people who were often walking around the city asking all the hard drug addicts about buying the medication illegally, hoping they'd been prescribed it, many would sell their diazepam and other similar addictive medication to buy heroin and crack to these people who were obviously totally and utterly addicted to these drugs to the extent that obtaining them was the only thing that mattered and of course their life would have been completely ruined. So I ask how can any benzodiazepine be "one of the safest anti-anxiety drugs"?

I'm sorry, but pharmaceutical companies defend these drugs as they're making huge profits from them and they are careful to protect themselves from lawsuits.

EDIT:
Quote from Google search for "xanax addiction":

"How addictive is Xanax?

Xanax is a fast-acting benzodiazepine medication. ... As a result, it is considered one of the most addictive benzodiazepine medications on the market today. Risks are higher in people who take the doses of 4 mg/day for longer than 12 weeks, but anyone who abuses the drug could be at risk for addiction."

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom