• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Android Phone Manufactures Slowly Removing Features

The Penguin

Chilly Willy The Penguin
I'm starting to get disappointed as time progress, Android manufacturers are removing support having a removable battery and a MicroSD slot. It caught my attention when I learned the Samsung Galaxy S6 is removing both features. I know Google does the same the Nexus phone and some other companies as well. It's kinda like many of these companies are following the iPhone model which I dislike.

I'm starting to get disappointed as time progress, Android manufacturers are removing support having a removable battery and a MicroSD slot.
One problem with removable batteries is that they require greater volume for a given amount of energy storage, because the more durable casing that is required is bulky. As phones get slimmer, the difference in capacity becomes proportionally greater. Everything else equal, a phone with a non-removable battery can be made slimmer, provide greater battery life, or a combination of the two.

As power cases and portable USB power supplies become common, the benefit of a replaceable battery decreases.

One problem with removable batteries is that they require greater volume for a given amount of energy storage, because the more durable casing that is required is bulky. As phones get slimmer, the difference in capacity becomes proportionally greater. Everything else equal, a phone with a non-removable battery can be made slimmer, provide greater battery life, or a combination of the two.

As power cases and portable USB power supplies become common, the benefit of a replaceable battery decreases.
I see, but I still think they should leave the MicroSD slot. I think the customers should have the freedom to expand storage to their liking.

Funny. My wife's samsung with removable battery way outlasts my iphone. But then I suspect its also not a fair comparison.
MicroSD seemed a good idea, but android phones seem to have all sorts of issues with them including file corruption.

Funny. My wife's samsung with removable battery way outlasts my iphone. But then I suspect its also not a fair comparison.
MicroSD seemed a good idea, but android phones seem to have all sorts of issues with them including file corruption.
It could be many variables including buying faulty MicroSD card. I have notice issues with iPhone despite I don't use mine much. Then again, people have issues with many types of phone regardless what platform it is.

Then again, people have issues with many types of phone regardless what platform it is.

True. But then a "fix" is usually just one version away which the public will pay good money for. A common theme for all manufacturers.

They have the public hooked on a whole new brand of heroin...

Scary thought though if everyone manufacturing data devices eventually relies exclusively on the cloud. I like all those external data ports too. :eek:

Last edited:
To me, a removable battery makes so much sense as they do have a limited life. Unless you treat your phone rough, that battery is going to need replacing.

To me, a removable battery makes so much sense as they do have a limited life. Unless you treat your phone rough, that battery is going to need replacing.

Stands to reason when I think of similar concerns of the past. Didn't Apple go through a lot of negative publicity with the Ipod batteries some years ago? Having to send the unit to Apple to have them replace the battery....ugh.

Gets even worse when you are overseas with a swollen iphone battery needing urgent replacement, and you find iPhone doesn't use a standard connector in every country. Apple Thailand wouldn't touch it.

Stands to reason when I think of similar concerns of the past. Didn't Apple go through a lot of negative publicity with the Ipod batteries some years ago? Having to send the unit to Apple to have them replace the battery....ugh.
Well the issue before was Apple was not willing to replace the battery for the original iPod. They wanted a person to buy a new iPod instead. Anyhow, they got forced to provide support to replace the battery. Later on, they decided to use non standard screws to try to prevent people replacing the battery. Despite all the effort they did, it easy to find this tool online.

Scary thought though if everyone manufacturing data devices eventually relies exclusively on the cloud. I like all those external data ports too. :eek:
I avoid using cloud solutions provided by the phone manufactures. I manage my own data. Though I know most people are not tech savvy. I find the worse thing about these companies, they don't educate what you should and should not store in the cloud. It not wise to store nude photos on the cloud for example. I look at it this way, if you don't want someone to steal personal information, don't store that type of content on the cloud.

Also, as nice it is having tracking enabled to find your own phone, your opening more doors to have people to spy on you if systems are broken into.

They have the public hooked on a whole new brand of heroin...
But not this penguin. I study products before I buy. I don't buy stuff because it cool. There a lot of products on the market looks cool on the outside, but the parts inside is crap. But hey, sometimes for people style is more important than quality.

But not this penguin. I study products before I buy. I don't buy stuff because it cool. There a lot of products on the market looks cool on the outside, but the parts inside is crap. But hey, sometimes for people style is more important than quality.

I know what you mean! Exactly why I continue to build my own PCs. Nothing but quality stuff on the inside. But researching things so thoroughly is exhausting too. And yet I find myself doing it with most anything these days...

New Threads

Top Bottom