• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Analogy: autism and hounds

DavidS

I’ve always loved hounds, I think I’ve read “Where The Red Fern Grows”at least 40 times and the weird part is it’s always something different that makes me sad.

Alright, so, here’s the analogy. A hound is not sick nor has a disease, a hound is a hound. They’re affectionate animals and will love to spend time with you, but instinctively once they’ve locked in on a scent they’ll follow it till they’re satisfied, no matter what’s in the way. Sometimes it’s intended by their human sometimes not. It’s the worst idea to walk a hound off leash, they can be gone for hours but they’ll always end up finding their way back to you. Without the proper considerations of mental and physical exercise you’ll never be able to bond with a hound, they have needs and they’ll go crazy if they’re not met. Some basics parallels can be drawn between them and ourselves.

I relate well to animals in general, especially those I have come in close contact with and had as pets (Dogs, Cats, Birds). Something about their ways is easy to understand and it is easy to also create a bond. I think it is more likely that I will easily connect with any strange dog or cat then person.

I think certain parallels can be drawn between us, but would guess there is no true sameness between us and any creature. There are too many distinct differences in nature, and animal species each have their own psychology and responses.

But as certain species more easily adapt to coexistence with us (the first known domestication was wolves to dogs) there may be something extra in some spectrum person's makeup that takes the connection a step further. I would not be surprised for example to find people with autism over represented in the so-called 'Dog Whisperers', 'Horse Whisperer's, etc.

Dude you rock. This might be the best way to explain autism to my family if they ever need a quick explanation.

Also, family used to have hounds & before the age of 10, like some redneck Romulus (or Charlie Brown & Snoopy) I was practically raised by a beagle.

Maybe it's because animals are simple. Theirs no social trap to walk into like with people. They love unconditional and are loyal. Very few humans are either of these words and the world is worst for it. Especially in these times.

So you are saying Aspies are akin to hounds as described here? Yes, I get that. Simple and loving. Yet inclined to go off on our own independent focus and explore it thoroughly, without regard to the wishes of others at times.

mm hounds have no desire to please authority figures, or mine didn't. They're great mindreaders but great at ignoring it.

Akitas are different from most breeds. They are very independent, aloof and want to do their own thing. If you walk them, you need to keep them on a long lead, or they are inclined to wander off. More like cats than dogs :)

So you are saying Aspies are akin to hounds as described here? Yes, I get that. Simple and loving. Yet inclined to go off on our own independent focus and explore it thoroughly, without regard to the wishes of others at times.

Theie focus is highly akin to obsession, think crossing a busy intersection at rush hour just so they can continue the scent trail. People who hunt with hounds either have to use a gps collar or have to figure out in advance where they are going and head them off, otherwise they’d just keep doing what they were designed to do.

If their minds aren’t properly “stimmed” they will have something akin to an autistic meltdown.

A follow up.

After my breakup I desperately needed solace in companionship. A friend of mine had been trying to re-home his beautiful Bluetick Coonhound since last august. I pulled the trigger a month ago. I’d always loved hounds and studied how they behaved but this has been my opportunity to witness it continually.

Napoleon is your typical coonhound, he’s shy around most other dogs at the dog park and doesn’t really open up to them, except to two friends he’s made there, a Doberman and a Great Dane. Voice commands are near impossible, he knows what you’re saying but he’s a mind bred to be independent. A hound historically is sometimes miles ahead of his master hunting a scent and making his own rapid decisions.

I’ve been trying to steel myself to let him off leash in various scenarios with no fence or safety net, miraculously he will come sometimes with no training when I blow on an antique hunting horn. Regardless, off leash training has its downfalls, good Samaritans. He wanders so far out that twice people will think he’s lost. What they don’t understand is that a hound needs this kind of mental and physical freedom to be whole. The world isn’t the way it was even two hundred years ago when his behavior was wanted and needed. Instead people look at me like I’m crazy for even thinking a scent hound should ever be off a leash. “He needs training to act like other dogs” sounds very similar to people advising us autistics need therapy to be like other people.

These same people will admire him in complete awe, his demeanor, his sounding bay, and the mystique of a hound, but will never understand what makes him neurologically behave like he does, much the same way some of us are seen as absolute wizards but no one tries to understand us.

Anyhoo, here’s a picture of my “new” hound pupper.
D0385FAD-B526-4DD3-9772-72821CE8FF13.jpeg

I think it's awesome that he somehow understands horn calls.

Since you understand this dog's needs, I don't think he could have fallen into better hands.

That's a pretty dog

I found a youtube channel some dude is trying to build a cabin with friends in Iowa. Using strips of bark for a roof. It's called Townsend's. There is also a website that sells mostly clothing. I think the website was first. You probably already heard of it

They made a working fireplace out of clay!

That's a pretty dog

I found a youtube channel some dude is trying to build a cabin with friends in Iowa. Using strips of bark for a roof. It's called Townsend's. There is also a website that sells mostly clothing. I think the website was first. You probably already heard of it

They made a working fireplace out of clay!
I’ve been watching Townsend for years! He’s got great stuff.

I think it's awesome that he somehow understands horn calls.

Since you understand this dog's needs, I don't think he could have fallen into better hands.

He’ll be gone for 15 minutes and I’ll blast a note and he’ll barrel through the trees to say hi and then dart right back out into the woods again.
707600EF-C7A0-4A54-8FED-69E1ADDDE125.jpeg

Great pic. I dont know what kind of horse, the ones with the fuzzy fetlocks and really big ears. I had a dream I plowed up the road leading in to here and posted up with a bunch of animal friends

Hmmmm

New Threads

Top Bottom