• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

An article on transcranial magnetic stimulation for autism

Jordy

The original article was pay walled so i have to copy pasted here

What happens to your relationships when your emotional perception changes overnight? Because I’m autistic, I have always been oblivious to unspoken cues from other people. My wife, my son and my friends liked my unflappable demeanor and my predictable behavior. They told me I was great the way I was, but I never really agreed.

For 50 years I made the best of how I was, because there was nothing else I could do. Then I was offered a chance to participate in a study at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, a teaching hospital of Harvard Medical School. Investigators at the Berenson-Allen Center there were studying transcranial magnetic stimulation, or T.M.S., a noninvasive procedure that applies magnetic pulses to stimulate the brain. It offers promise for many brain disorders. Several T.M.S. devices have been approved by the Food and Drug Administration for the treatment of severe depression, and others are under study for different conditions. (It’s still in the experimental phase for autism.) The doctors wondered if changing activity in a particular part of the autistic brain could change the way we sense emotions. That sounded exciting. I hoped it would help me read people a little better.

They say, be careful what you wish for. The intervention succeeded beyond my wildest dreams — and it turned my life upside down. After one of my first T.M.S. sessions, in 2008, I thought nothing had happened. But when I got home and closed my eyes, I felt as if I were on a ship at sea. And there were dreams — so real they felt like hallucinations. It sounds like a fairy tale, but the next morning when I went to work, everything was different. Emotions came at me from all directions, so fast that I didn’t have a moment to process them.

Before the T.M.S., I had fantasized that the emotional cues I was missing in my autism would bring me closer to people. The reality was very different. The signals I now picked up about what my fellow humans were feeling overwhelmed me. They seemed scared, alarmed, worried and even greedy. The beauty I envisioned was nowhere to be found.

Seeing emotion didn’t make my life happy. It scared me, as the fear I felt in others took hold in me, too. As exciting as my new sensory ability was, it cost me customers at work, when I felt them looking at me with contempt. It spoiled friendships when I saw teasing in a different and nastier light. It even ruined memories when I realized that people I remembered as funny were really making fun of me.

And the hardest thing: It cost me a marriage. When I met my former wife (a decade before the T.M.S.), she was seriously depressed. She’d accepted my autistic even keel, and I accepted her often quiet sadness. I never really felt her depression, so we complemented each other. She could read other people much better than I could, and I relied on her for that.

Then came the T.M.S. With my newfound ability I imagined myself joyfully shedding a cloak of disability. I thought she would be happy, but instead she said matter of factly, “You won’t need me anymore.” My heart hurt, and I felt unspeakably sad. Later, people at work told me they’d liked me better the way I was before.

I’d lived with my wife’s chronic depression all those years because I did not share it. After the T.M.S., I felt the full force of her sadness, and the weight of it dragged me under. At the same time, I felt this push to use my new superpower, to go out in the world and engage with other people, now that I could read their emotions. When I think about the way my behavior must have appeared to the strangers I encountered, I cringe.

Normally people change in a marriage, over time. What happens when one person changes overnight? We were divorced a year after the T.M.S. experiments began. After the divorce, I embarked on a disastrous relationship with someone who could not have been more different, and I was devastated when that, too, fell apart. I learned the hard way that emotional insight allowed me to see some things, but another person’s true intent and commitment remained inscrutable.

After some initial tumult, the changes in me proved transformational at work. My ability to engage casual friends and strangers was enhanced. But with family and close friends, the results were more mixed. I found myself unsettled by absorbing the emotions of people I was close to, something that had never happened before. Strong emotional reactions welled up in me, and I showed feelings I had never expressed.

It took me five years to find a new balance and stability. In that time, my sense that I could see into people’s souls faded. Yet the experience left me forever changed. Before the T.M.S., discussions of emotions were like cruel taunts to me; it was as if someone were describing beautiful color to a person who saw in black and white. Then, in an instant, the scientists turned on color vision. Even though that vision faded, the memory of its full brilliance will remain with me always.

I’m married again, to someone who’s emotionally insightful. To my amazement, she became best friends with my first wife, and helped me reconnect with my son. She started a tradition of family dinners and gatherings, and brought new warmth into my life. Even more, she helped me become part of a web of emotional connectedness I’d never known before, and surely could not have known pre-T.M.S.

That really shines through in my relationship with my son. We had grown apart before the T.M.S. through a combination of his teenage rebellion and our mutual inability to read each other’s feelings. (My son is on the autism spectrum, too.) We joined the T.M.S. study together, and it became a powerful shared experience. Even as the T.M.S. effects pushed my ex-wife and me apart, they drew my son and me together. The T.M.S. also helped me understand my mother, in the last years of her life.

I’ve made new friends, and built a stronger business. And there’s something else: I’ve learned that the grass is not always greener when it comes to emotional vision. For much of my life, I’d imagined I was handicapped by emotional blindness. When that changed, seeing into other people was overwhelming. Becoming “typical” proved to be the thing that was truly crippling for me. Now I realize that my differences make me who I am — success and failure alike. I’d call that hard-won wisdom.

John Elder Robison is a consultant on autism and the author, most recently, of “Switched On: A Memoir of Brain Change and Emotional

Whatever happened i don't think that T.M.S. (temporarily) cured this person of autism, this supposedly happened in 2008 and i have not heard anything about T.M.S. relating to autism ever. But i don't even know how it works, I am sure there are some people on this forum who have a better understanding. It could also just be an advertisement for the treatment.

I don't know anything about TMS but from what I understand the idea of "curing" autism is a false premise. It sort of implies a NT person beneath who has autism hindering them from being there true NT self. Whereas I think the reality is that instead of a NT mind we have a ND mind. Its not that the ND mind is stopping a NT mind doings its processes but rather that the ND mind is carrying out those processes itself but in a different way.

I am no autisim expert, far from it, but I question whether this persons emotional detatchment prior to tms really has that much to do with autisim?
Just from the experiences of other autistic people that I have read here, it would seem that heightened emotional sensitivity is just as common, or more common, as an autistic trait.
Can anyone clarify that for me?

Last edited:
I am no autisim expert, far from it, but I questiin whether this persons emotional detatchment prior to tms really has that much to do with autisim?
Just from the experiences of other autistic people that Inhave read here, it would seem that heightened emltional sensitivity is just as common, or more common, as an autistic trait.
Can anyone clarify that for me?
Its true for me

I used to work for a contract electronics design firm. I am now retired. The firm is contracted by many different clients to design or help design the electronics of products the clients manufacture and market.

A few years ago, a client contracted a project to design and develop a TMS machine. I was the lead designer on that project. For that project I studied the biological mechanism of action of TMS on the brain. I felt I needed to know as much as I could about what TMS does in order to produce a good functional design.

In brief, magnetic pulses focused on the brain or any part of any biological organisms induces electrical currents in any tissues that are electrically conductive. Which are pretty much all of them. As such, the TMS is basically a shotgun blast throughout everything within the magnetic field. It's effect is much the same as electric shock therapy, just without the high voltage terminals or the shock sensation.

After my studies, design and testing of the machine, my opinion is that TMS as a marketable product is basically pseudoscience and that the "benefits" are largely placebo in nature (Note: the placebo effect is a very powerful marketing tool). TMS is basically a giant blast of electrical noise spread homogeneously across the tissues in the magnetic field. I guess that can distract and disorganize some neurological processes which perhaps may be perceived as an improvement. I do not believe magnetic pulses or electric shock therapy "fixes" anything. I do fear it can inflict damage. My concern is that it takes a lot of brain damage before the effects of the damage is recognized.

We've all been here before. I do not believe autism is curable because is is not something that has gone wrong. It is not a disease. It is just an individual's personal traits - how the individuals mechanism is constructed. The "wrong" is simply the fitment in societies majority. Autistic's suffer from their traits, but every person alive suffers from their traits, regardless how they are labeled. Everyone, autistic or not, has strengths and weaknesses. A Corvette is a powerfully fast car, but it could never compete with a very slow bulldozer in moving earth. Neither is defective or in need of fixing.

A side note: you would be surprised how many businesses have contracted the firm I worked for to design and develop pseudoscience products. You would also be surprised in how many of them are very profitable. The human species is very impressionable.

Last edited:
I avoid malls as I tend to read peoples body language, and emotional cues drives me nut's
If this works it may have helped my older brother. Emotion was not his thing. I remember once his wife took him to a psychiatrist. He started acting normally was not taken seriously she was right this was an indicator something had changed in his brain should have been followed through as it was not his base line it was overlooked. It lasted a few weeks and then he reverted to his old self. Showed me that there is more to the brain then we know.

Either way I am content with who I am.

I used to work for a contract electronics design firm. I am now retired. The firm is contracted by many different clients to design or help design the electronics of products the clients manufacture and market.

A few years ago, a client contracted a project to design and develop a TMS machine. I was the lead designer on that project. For that project I studied the biological mechanism of action of TMS on the brain. I felt I needed to know as much as I could about what TMS does in order to produce a good functional design.

In brief, magnetic pulses focused on the brain or any part of any biological organisms induces electrical currents in any tissues that are electrically conductive. Which are pretty much all of them. As such, the TMS is basically a shotgun blast throughout everything within the magnetic field. It's effect is much the same as electric shock therapy, just without the high voltage terminals or the shock sensation.

After my studies, design and testing of the machine, my opinion is that TMS as a marketable product is basically pseudoscience and that the "benefits" are largely placebo in nature (Note: the placebo effect is a very powerful marketing tool). TMS is basically a giant blast of electrical noise spread homogeneously across the tissues in the magnetic field. I guess that can distract and disorganize some neurological processes which perhaps may be perceived as an improvement. I do not believe magnetic pulses or electric shock therapy "fixes" anything. I do fear it can inflict damage. My concern is that it takes a lot of brain damage before the effects of the damage is recognized.

We've all been here before. I do not believe autism is curable because is is not something that has gone wrong. It is not a disease. It is just an individual's personal traits - how the individuals mechanism is constructed. The "wrong" is simply the fitment in societies majority. Autistic's suffer from their traits, but every person alive suffers from their traits, regardless how they are labeled. Everyone, autistic or not, has strengths and weaknesses. A Corvette is a powerfully fast car, but it could never compete with a very slow bulldozer in moving earth. Neither is defective or in need of fixing.

A side note: you would be surprised how many businesses have contracted the firm I worked for to design and develop pseudoscience products. You would also be surprised in how many of them are very profitable. The human species is very impressionable.
The thing with the placebo effect is that it's not even entirely imagined, often it can have real measurable effects on your central nervous system. But there is cheaper ways to benefit from a placebo than an expensive treatment. One example is how not expecting pain will cause you to actually feel it less. From what i understand it largely has to with projections form the frontal cortex to other parts of the brain (like the limbic system), thats how cognitive thoughts, even if placebo or not entirely true in nature can have real effects on you.

Last edited:
I remember reading something similar to this about blind people. Their were some blind people (Blind from birth so they never experienced what it's like to ever see anything.) that were candidates for surgery that could fully restore their eyesight. Some of them opted to have the surgery done late into their adult hood. After the surgery. Most of them suffered from psychological trauma because they didn't know how to handle the extra sensory input that they were now receiving.

New Threads

Top Bottom