• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

American Sign Language

WittyAspie

V.I.P Member
I am curious to know if anyone on this site is Deaf or knows ASL. I am taking ASL right now and am interested in becoming fluent so that I can communicate with Deaf people. One of my big hold ups in interacting with Deaf people is my social anxiety. If anyone on here is Deaf, how does Aspergers/autism affect your grammar is ASL?

I learned it! I am not that great at it, but I joined a lot of deaf chats in person and learned from ASL Lifeprint where you can get a whole lot of lessons free.

I did this because when I was in an accident, it hurt to talk and eat and so I decided to NOT talk and stopped talking for a while.

I am half autie/aspie but not NT so social is hard for me A LOT and it STILL effected me even when I went to deaf chat. It effected me because there is a lot of emotion you are supposed to use when deaf chatting. I could not do that. I was sad all the time.

Further, it is the same dynamics. Same groups cluster, you are left staring, someone dominates, people tell jokes and laugh that you don't get. It is the same.

But, I liked it a lot and you made me want to brush up on it because sometimes i don't like to talk and it is good around hearing people when you are tired of talking. It is a great skill not matter what.

• ASL • American Sign Language

Not sure if this will help, but I'll chime in anyway. I don't have an spectrum diagnosis, but my son does and we are a lot alike in many ways.

I know VERY basic ASL - we use it as an alternative form of communication with the multiply handicapped kids I work with. Basic as in, I couldn't carry on a full conversation, but I can sure the hell ask for cookies and milk (I have my priorities straight LOL).

I suspect you may find ASL easier to converse in than verbal speech. The language connections in the brain are a little different, partially because you are using your hands and not your mouth, and partially because it's such a kinesthetic and visual form of communication. Grammar in ASL is a little more flexible. Plus, it isn't as full of ridiculous rules as much as the English language; e.g. mine (the place you dig in) looks very different from mine (when something is yours); IMHO ASL is a lot more sensible.

HTH

Hey WittyAspie, just so you know, I happen to be hard of hearing, almost deaf. I learned sign language 3 years ago, almost 4 years ago. Learning the grammar was hard at first, but now it comes more naturally. ASL is how I communicate other than English. I prefer ASL because it is visual and i can see what people are saying instead of relying on my hearing to understand. I hope this helps.

i partly speak BSL and speak makaton as a throwback to my years as a non verbal child/adult,none of my staff now are trained in it so its pointless although makaton is a bit easier for non speakers to understand as its more about actions than language itself.
for me,BSL was incredibly hard to learn because there are multiple steps per sign,and that is information overload to me-because of my autism and ID,so i dont know to many,but it helped reinforce the makaton.

Background on Makaton, because this is
the first I have become aware of it.

"Makaton is a language programme using signs and symbols to help people to communicate. It is designed to support spoken language and the signs and symbols are used with speech, in spoken word order."

About Makaton

Thank you all for your input. So far my ASL professor has been very intentional in pointing out the grammar. Maybe since I have always had to fake facial expressions I will have an upper hand at remembering them.

New Threads

Top Bottom