• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Am I the Only One?

I believe my stimming is mostly little things that usually go unnoticed, even from me.

You're not weird, but I DO wonder how do you chew a plastic bottle?

I used to chew plastic pen lids at school, bits of paper, end of pens. I chewed a bite out my thong once (I think you guys call them flip flops, they are shoes not underwear) when I was very small. I used to suck on my hair too in mid - late primary school.
Now I do a lot of stroking myself stimming, my arms, hands, fingers, face, and fidgeting my feet and toes. I also squeal and I am a middle age woman, but luckily, in the privacy of my own home, mostly. I slap my thighs when really agitated.

I believe my stimming is mostly little things that usually go unnoticed, even from me.

You're not weird, but I DO wonder how do you chew a plastic bottle?

What would make chewing a plastic bottle difficult? The size? It fits! Try! :)

Unfortunately I tend to chew on my lower lip.
Sometimes a straw if sitting with others in a restaurant and I'm finished eating, but, they continue to talk.
My hands are used the most frequent for stimming. I don't notice it until I notice it!
Fidgeting a ring. Squeezing my fingers together tight at times.
Even as I write this, my nails are scraping on parts of my fingers or around a nail.
Done that most all of my life.

Masking is common too. I got really good at it when I was in my younger years.
Now I don't try so hard, if at all.

Nope, you're sure not the only one. :)

Unfortunately I tend to chew on my lower lip.
Sometimes a straw if sitting with others in a restaurant and I'm finished eating, but, they continue to talk.
My hands are used the most frequent for stimming. I don't notice it until I notice it!
Fidgeting a ring. Squeezing my fingers together tight at times.
Even as I write this, my nails are scraping on parts of my fingers or around a nail.
Done that most all of my life.

Masking is common too. I got really good at it when I was in my younger years.
Now I don't try so hard, if at all.

Nope, you're sure not the only one. :)
funny. I was reading this and agreeing to myself about the fidgeting with ring then when I read about the nails, I realized I was sitting here rubbing my thumbnail very hard with middle finger - I do that all the time. Often both hands doing the same thing in unison.

No you are not alone but when I was young I though I was cousins family thought I did weird things like smell my hand still smell my hand still have the mark since I was in High School. I do it more especially when I get aroused seeing a "pretty woman" so no you are not the only one and don't any NT "normal's" let your think so.

I also rock my legs all the time and rub my hands together.

I have absolutely no idea whether this is a stim or not, since I'm still hazy as to the concept of stims all round, but ever since childhood I've bitten lumps off myself.

This is not as horrendous as it sounds, btw.

As a kid I was always being accused of what my sisters called "habitizing". I had a lot of facial and bodily tics, and I still do - shoulder jerks, opening my mouth really wide, that sort of thing - but I also got into the habit of biting my nails and, when I'd run out of nail, the skin of the finger below it. It's something I still do to this day, resulting in a fair bit of scar tissue on one thumb.

Okay, maybe it is as horrendous as it sounds. I don't know; it's always been normal behaviour for me. Most of the time I do it almost reflexively; absent-mindedly, with no actual thought as to the process. Occasionally there's a minor ouch and I realize I've maybe taken it a bit too far but, like the motor tics and the verbal tics, I can't stop doing it.

As I said, i have no idea if this is stimming. Could it qualify?

How many people here rock? I've done it all my life. At least once a day, I have to sit down and rock back and forth for a little bit, and if I'm really stressed or sad, I'll rock several times a day. It calms me down and relaxes me and eases the stress. Oh, and like Emma, I also wiggle my leg. Usually I do it at night while lying on my back. It helps me mellow out and fall asleep.

How many people here rock? I've done it all my life. At least once a day, I have to sit down and rock back and forth for a little bit, and if I'm really stressed or sad, I'll rock several times a day. It calms me down and relaxes me and eases the stress. Oh, and like Emma, I also wiggle my leg. Usually I do it at night while lying on my back. It helps me mellow out and fall asleep.

I love to rock back and forth. Something about it is so relaxing and comforting and makes me feel calm and good. <3

It happens inevitably when I stand in front of my widescreen tv. One of the two stims I have besides pacing.

Where I just begin to sway left to right, without actually going anywhere. Guess I'm a human metronome. :p

I also like chewing on things and will sometimes not realize I'm doing it for a while, particularly sometimes I'll be on the computer and not realize that I've stuck the cord of my headphones in my mouth and am gently chewing on it:eek: I love gum, but I have to be sparing with it because I have TMD that's liable to flare up if I do too much chewing.

I also hate drawing attention to myself, and as a result I tend to try to keep my stimming to a minimum in public.

Rocking is probably my most common stim. If I'm sitting, I'm probably rocking, although oftentimes I don't realize it until I've been doing it for a while.

I don't rock never liked it but I wiggle my legs all the time especially when listening to music.

New Threads

Top Bottom