• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Am I just crazy or am I into something?

please explain.
I find that religion and philosophy is very important to me. I really find the idea that aspies cannot think of a God or see a purpose in life is very offensive. This is not aspergers at all. This is not a part of the diagnosis in itself. Sure, aspies can have problems but it's not that all aspies must have this issue.
Do I have issue with organized religion? As long as I am allowed to be myself I have no issue. If I am allowed to be a seeker then I am ok with it. I don't have any issues with belonging to a Church.
You are allowed to be whoever you feel you are. In my experience, the Aspies I've met have a keen sense of spirituality and an individual connection to the God feeling.

weak central coherence theory is just one theory. It's just a theory. Not all experts like it.
You are allowed to be whoever you feel you are. In my experience, the Aspies I've met have a keen sense of spirituality and an individual connection to the God feeling.
exactly what I have experienced away from the internet forums. This is not what I have experienced on internet forums. online and in studies aspies disslike religion

exactly what I have experienced away from the internet forums. This is not what I have experienced on internet forums. online and in studies aspies disslike religion
I wasn't talking about religion, I said spirituality and the God feeling. In my experience religion is not something Aspies connect with. And I can understand why.

It seems to me, judging by this forum, that there is a similar spread of religious/spiritual and non-religious/spiritual people on the spectrum as there is among the general population.

Whether you are religious or not depends on a wide range of circumstances, particularly family environment and upbringing, culture, life experiences.

I can appreciate philosophical ideas, but am not religious because I don't believe many of the things that religions ask you to accept as truth based on faith alone. I can't accept something as truth which contridicts my own experience of the world.

Back to the topic (this has gone off-topic), yes, most people skip over details and that can be frustrating. I often find it hard to prioritise things because all the details seem equally important to me.

Last edited:
the pathways may be different initially, but over time, the results may be similar.

I agree,the way we process information is different and it may take more time ,but the results are the same or even better,because we pay attention to details that NTs don't. This is my personal experience. It would take me more time in the past and still takes me more time to learn something ,but eventually,i become very good at it.

I wasn't talking about religion, I said spirituality and the God feeling. In my experience religion is not something Aspies connect with. And I can understand why.

Agree. I too, would describe myself as a spiritual person in the way my moral foundations are, the way I go about life, how I respect all forms of life, the Earth, and our place in the universe. On the other hand, I would never be part of any form of "organized religion", go to a house of worship, or be a "follower" of any kind of group.

Part of it being that I really get "creeped out" by church,...tried it with my wife and kids,...it just "weirds me out". My brain just does not understand nor can comprehend the worship of an invisible entity. I don't get the "group think and behavior" of people within a house of worship,...my brain just cannot process it. I've had people try to explain it to me,...my eyes just glaze over,...don't get it. I understand that most of so-called Western morals and even laws are often based upon a Judeo-Christian belief system,...but I also understand that certain individuals can use scripture to legitimize some horrible things. I am not anti-religion,...my wife, her family, our children are involved within the church,...many of my patients in the hospital have regular visits from the hospital chaplain,...I respect it. I will bow my head while someone says grace before a meal,...out of respect for them,...but I am not, personally, going to be a follower.
For a while, I was open to the idea that maybe, perhaps, there was some "higher power",...whatever that is,...but as I have gotten older, more life experience, more education,...it just doesn't fit my model of the universe.

Maybe not...

I listened to this, embarrassing Undiagnosed ADHD meant I had to stim (ADHD'ers) to this too, and I did get a bit lost but mind boggling, especially the holographic thing.
Reality is only real when we are learning our lessons, which is why we perceive time as linear and material objects as dense.
I will keep the video on my YouTube list of playlists.
Thank you.

We all feel like actors at the game of life. But at some point we become us, and we present us, and live as us (sans the mask?)
As late as I have understood this concept.
We are the directors of our own plays. Our lives are the movies we create and the people we interact with are the cast we choose.

Hello@Ihaveaspergers

is this really what you think about when readign "being human"? I could never have imagined those replies. That's interesting but I was not really thinking like that at all.
The video, what I got of it, talks about quantum reality, that the vastest majority of everything, even solid seeming objects is actually empty space, as it is made up of atoms.
Atoms are mostly empty space.
It talks about protons and holographs, and it's message to what I understood, so far, of it, is that we create our own reality, reality is an illusion, there is no such thing as solid objects in the biggest cosmic picture.

We keep coming back onto this earth reincarnating again and again, until we have learnt all of the moral lessons. We create what we experience. (Wish I'd understood that more before my 50's) better late than never though.

I am no angel, they are rare, but right action creates good karma, and wrong action creates bad. Kick your friend up the butt and either in this life or the next, your butt will be kicked.
Deepak Chopra says Karma is an excellent account keeper.

Reasoning hasn't always been my best skill.

Some daft things have been taboo, homosexuality, even asperger's.

Our choices whether to be moral or immoral is depending on the response to our life circumstances and experiences.
Some people do learn how to examine ourselves and reality, even those on the spectrum.

Engaging in meditative activities as a child can steer us on the right path.
That is if we are aware, and not too busy taking things personal or trying to fit in.

There are many brutally honest Aspies who are loving and kind.

Other Aspies get caught in the wrong crowd, denying their uniqueness and end up running with these people and getting into trouble.

Meditative and creative activities can help us become deeply spiritual people, the sooner we are aware of this the better.
Yes, some of us, get caught up in the "He said-she said's" and lose the big picture, not just aspies, in fact NT's probably do this more.

Dr Edward Hall a Mohawk said that people on the spectrum have a licence to become a shaman.

oh I'm a terrible skim reader, I just pick out a thing or two in a post.

Agree about the deep spiritual thing, has been that way for me.
I can't post any longer if I don't give the post my full attention.
Undiagnosed ADHD which feels like an excuse to rush, be lazy, and not read properly or listen to people.
That's why I had to come back to the video @SimonSays posted, mind boggling vid (thumbs up) yet I have still had to stim while watching it, saved it on my YT playlists.

why do people go off-topic?
Is it even ok to do so on autismforums.com?
This is what happens when you have to deal with certain aspies it seems. Either they are really that blind and can't understand what I am saying or they are really don't care if they go off-topic.
I am just now learning not to go off at a tangent.
As above post says I think I have undiagnosed ADHD and as it's not official it feels like I am making excuses for not reading posts properly, not listening to people properly, and not even paying attention to what I am doing.

I am making a real effort to stay on topic.

Thread derailment is not good for me, unless the "branch off" topic is relevant to the original post.

Please accept my apologies.

how can aspergers make us deeply spiritual do you think?
Most aspies seem confused and not that deeply spiritual. I am probably one of those guys. Isn't over-thinking actually a problem when you want to be deeply spiritual?
There has been people who argue that aspergers can make you less spiritual and even anti-religion. I guess there are all kinds of aspies out there. I myself am not anti-religion. I am just a sinner.

This is my opinion:
People who have said that aspies tend to be anti-religious are people who think aspies cannot understand simple philosophy. I myself like philosophy a lot.
They say that philosophy is anti-logical and unreasonable but it is not. Philosophy is about learning how to reason and logic is important.
Sadly, many aspies are anti-religion but I don't blame aspergers for it. I blame our society for it. St Bonaventura, pray for us!
I know you didn't ask me this and I hope you don't mind me replying.
Aspergers means our brains are wired in such a way that we have the seeds to become deeply spiritual, provided we accept ourselves, our quirks, and make the most of our gifts and talents. It helps us if we recognise that we are not weirdos, that we are unique.
I did not do this.

Most aspies seem confused because they have not responded to their life circumstances and experiences and not used their gifts and talents, as mentioned above.
Over thinking about the wrong things is a problem, over thinking what people think of us, what they mean, how they treat us personally, over thinking about TV and other trivia, but it can be good to be a thinker, it depends on quality of thought and a good dose of imagination helps too.

All Aspies are individual, some are atheist. I resent religions who call us all sinners. Sin is error, yes we err, and it is good if we can atone for those errors by making amends to people we wronged etc.

Some Aspies, CAN understand philosophy.

Many NT's are anti-religion as well as many Aspies. I am anti-religion, as religion is about control. I would rather think of myself as aspiring to be spiritual rather than religious.
That way I acknowledge the Creator and my place in this cosmos.

I've met, online, some Aspies who are atheists.
To me atheists, if I understand them, do not believe in a Creator, or concept of divinity, and they think that we only have one life.

It seems to me, judging by this forum, that there is a similar spread of religious/spiritual and non-religious/spiritual people on the spectrum as there is among the general population.

Whether you are spiritual are not depends on a wide range of circumstances, particularly family environment and upbringing, culture, life experiences.

I can appreciate philosophical ideas, but am not religious or spiritual because I don't believe many of the things that religions ask you to accept as truth based on faith alone. I can't accept something as truth which contridicts my own experience of the world.

Back to the topic (this has gone off-topic), yes, most people skip over details and that can be frustrating. I often find it hard to prioritise things because all the details seem equally important to me.
You are confusing religion with Spirituality, they are not the same.
I am not religious but I aspire to be spiritual.

Agree. I too, would describe myself as a spiritual person in the way my moral foundations are, the way I go about life, how I respect all forms of life, the Earth, and our place in the universe. On the other hand, I would never be part of any form of "organized religion", go to a house of worship, or be a "follower" of any kind of group.

Part of it being that I really get "creeped out" by church,...tried it with my wife and kids,...it just "weirds me out". My brain just does not understand nor can comprehend the worship of an invisible entity. I don't get the "group think and behavior" of people within a house of worship,...my brain just cannot process it. I've had people try to explain it to me,...my eyes just glaze over,...don't get it. I understand that most of so-called Western morals and even laws are often based upon a Judeo-Christian belief system,...but I also understand that certain individuals can use scripture to legitimize some horrible things. I am not anti-religion,...my wife, her family, our children are involved within the church,...many of my patients in the hospital have regular visits from the hospital chaplain,...I respect it. I will bow my head while someone says grace before a meal,...out of respect for them,...but I am not, personally, going to be a follower.
For a while, I was open to the idea that maybe, perhaps, there was some "higher power",...whatever that is,...but as I have gotten older, more life experience, more education,...it just doesn't fit my model of the universe.
I like your post.
You seem highly switched on.
The concept of "Higher power" is misunderstood by religious, non religious people alike.
God is everything, infinity, everyone, every atom.
It is we humans who choose good or evil acts, ignorance is the roof of all evil.
Faith in God is not faith in some "higher power" it is faith in ourselves, faith in good. I think religious people mix up the words God with good. He is not a higher power, he is not an entity.

Is it just me or is the issue of central coherence more serious than we think?
Aspies ussually do need more details than others when learning things. A lot of people skip over the fundamentals and jump right into it. This is what happens when it come to "being a human". We skip over the fundsmentals of being a human. People then miss the something of the fundamentals of being a human. Can we just really skip the details and jumo right into it? In my opinion: no!
This has messed up the world!
What do you think?

I don't know, I think that with exposure therapy, either prescribed by a therapist or self-imposed, we can sort of learn to just dive in and integrate to a degree. A perfect example of this is that I'm a teacher, for literally years I had to script all of my classes. It took a ton of extra work. Then covid hit, my hours were cut drastically, and I couldn't see spending all of that extra time preparing from home. I made the decision to stop scripting and just go with the flow, it's draining, and sometimes I lose my train of thought, but I can now hold classes that are purely free conversation.

New Threads

Top Bottom