• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Am I annoyed by this or have I learned to be grouchy about it?

Mia

V.I.P Member
Belong to a breast cancer program. Every year I go for a mammogram, I'm in the control group, as there is no breast cancer in my family history.

Then spend twenty minutes or so having my breasts squeezed between two thick flat glass plates. While a technician re-adjusts the angles and touches me. The plates compress them to a thickness of about two inches. It hurts for two days afterward. The last time I went, I threw up my lunch in the hospital parking lot afterward.
Don't want to go. I feel guilty as when I originally signed up for it, I was keen to do this for science and women's health, fifteen or so years ago now that desire has waned.

Last edited:
My grandmother died with breast cancer.
Her daughter, my aunt, has had one breast removed.

My grandmother never had regular mammograms.
My aunt did.

What they discovered by use of the mammogram has
allowed her to continue living (finding the problem and
removing it.) She continues to have routine exams.

I am not adept at persuasion.
If there is anything in this summary that illustrates how
study of mammograms might help others, ok.

I'm a breast Cancer survivor but I don't think you should let them squeeze you so hard you hurt for 2 days afterward. These days my mammograms hardly ever hurt as they have stopped doing what you describe. I think you should tell them about hurting and throwing up your lunch and tell them you'll not continue if they continue to squeeze you so hard. (And, btw, my breast cancer was discovered by a routine mammogram- I had no clue there was a lump there.).

Of course l have to come from the opposite side: first there are non-intrusive mammagram machines out on the market. Second of all- you have done your "time". And they are coming out with ways to detect not even using those monstrosities.

If you don't want to go and be subjected to this then make the adult choice and forgo it. We here at the forum celebrate your past help.

I was diagnosed with breast cancer three years ago after feeling a lump in my breast and having a mammogram then biopsy. I am now cancer free, but have a mammogram every year. I don't like it, it hurts, but do think that it's important and I will tolerate it because I know that I'm at risk. Statistically one in eight women will get breast cnacer, but if detected early enough, it is treatable and can be cured, and the mammogram helps to do that.

@Mia

Is there a feedback option for the subjects?
Seems like that would be valuable for the researchers,
to become aware of the impact of the repeated experience
on their subjects.

I am asked by my physician to get one every year because I had major liver cancer.
Even though it wasn't breast, they still check a lot of things yearly as cancer can come back anywhere.

It hurts me too, getting the mammo with the smashing between the plates machine.
I wasn't aware there was a less painless way.
I will ask my doc about that. Surely in a city this size, the latest technology is around somewhere.

I'm sorry, I can't attempt to convince you to stay in the programme for the sake of others, considering effects in real time to yourself from the procedure.

I'm guessing they will have enough data collected over 15 years from yourself and others in the control group to know what healthy breast tissue looks like.

If you were looking after your own health by doing so, I might try.

I’m a male and so I guess I cannot comment reliably, but when I first heard about the procedure involved in a mammogram, I cringed. In this day and age that procedure is archaic, almost like torture, and there must be alternative methods that don’t possibly maim you for life. How much can breasts take? Can you imagine a male having to go through a similar procedure for testicular cancer o_O?
I am a cancer survivor, both my parents died from cancer, and my brother has already been diagnosed with two different forms of cancer, and so I do know how important screening is. However, I draw the line, and will always seek out alternative approaches to screening.
Personally, I would opt out of such a program.

Quit being in the study. Study participants have a right to quit at any time.

However, do follow whatever mammography schedule is recommended for you given your age and risk factors (such as smoker, family history, etc.).

I’m a male and so I guess I cannot comment reliably, but when I first heard about the procedure involved in a mammogram, I cringed. In this day and age that procedure is archaic, almost like torture
I agree. Looks pretty painful.
Luckily I don't have breasts, but if I am asked to get a penilegram I'm not going.

Jokes aside, as a to-be-scientist I'm willing to encourage anyone who wants to contribute with some clinical trials. I think a 20-minute test once a year is not a lot, and can be incredible helpful in research.

While mammograms for males are not common,
that is one diagnostic procedure used to detect cancer in the
breast tissue of men.

Male breast cancer - Diagnosis and treatment - Mayo Clinic

Tests for Breast Cancer in Men
Well, you’ve taught me something. I would have assumed that generally the male breast is just too small for a mammogram. But I certainly have not researched it.
Still, the pain and procedure involved is the issue. Personally, I would not put myself through that, and would rather request an alternative procedure.

Sounds like you shouldn't eat too much two days after the mammogram. I hope you're getting compensated at least. If the compensation is not worth the effort, definitely look into leaving. Since there's one more coming up so soon, make it your last one if the compensation is not worth it to you. If the compensation is zero, pull out immediately.

Money talks. You don't want to do stuff just for the money, but if you need it or you will use the extra money to benefit you in some other way, then the effort may be worth it. Best person who can weigh that out, as I know you know, is you!

New Threads

Top Bottom