• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Agencies and full time work!

Sounds good Rich. I think your CV speaks for itself with regards to your experience in retail in general. However that leaves you to sell YOU rather than your work experience alone. Good luck with the next one.

For the interview they've asked me to look "Professional", so I've asked Dad if he's got a shirt and tie that would fit me, problem is I'm quite broad (and not just my accent), and last time I wore a dressed up shirt I was a 16 and half inch neck, and it's probably grown since then.

Also, I'm concerned that if I turn up suited and booted and win the interview, it kind of sets a precedent that I can't really keep up as I physically can't do a shirt and tie without help.

Also, I'm concerned that if I turn up suited and booted and win the interview, it kind of sets a precedent that I can't really keep up as I physically can't do a shirt and tie without help.

I can tie a Windsor knot if I absolutely have to, but once done I rarely undo them. I still have them from my business attire days (20 years ago) that are still tied! I'd probably have a difficult time retying them anyways. So even if you can get your father to tie them, leave them that way! ;)

For the interview they've asked me to look "Professional", so I've asked Dad if he's got a shirt and tie that would fit me, problem is I'm quite broad (and not just my accent), and last time I wore a dressed up shirt I was a 16 and half inch neck, and it's probably grown since then.

I don't think you need to be concerned about it setting a precedent. Personally I would always expect someone to go to an interview in a suit whether asked to or not. I certainly have always worn suits to my interviews and I have a job where I wear worn jeans, t-shirt and flipflops on a regular basis.

I don't think you need to be concerned about it setting a precedent. Personally I would always expect someone to go to an interview in a suit whether asked to or not. I certainly have always worn suits to my interviews and I have a job where I wear worn jeans, t-shirt and flipflops on a regular basis.

Thing is though, physically I can't do a shirt and tie due to poor dexterity, therefore, under reasonable adjustments, would they allow me to wear "smart casual" if I get the job?

Depends on the job, if you are interacting with customers I would expect them to require you to wear the same as everyone else (whatever that is, doubt it would be a suit though) as professionally representing the company is part of the role, otherwise, they might give you some leeway. I can't really think of any non-high-level corporate/ banking jobs which actually require a suit and tie on a daily basis.

Depends on the job, if you are interacting with customers I would expect them to require you to wear the same as everyone else (whatever that is, doubt it would be a suit though) as professionally representing the company is part of the role, otherwise, they might give you some leeway. I can't really think of any non-high-level corporate/ banking jobs which actually require a suit and tie on a daily basis.

The job I have an interview for next week is Sales/Event Management.

I'm half considering hitting the clothes shops in Meadowhall on Monday to see if I can get something on the cheap, I'd have something made but it's too short notice from Monday for the interview on Tuesday.

I have NVQ qualifications in retail at level 1 and 2, which I did at Sheffield College from 1995 to 1997, plus last yeae while working for Mind, the mental health Charity, I did and passed an NVQ level 3 course in customer service. I also have a GCSE in English language and literature at grade A, and also typing qualifications at RSA level 1 and 2.

I also have customer service experience having worked in nearly every Charity shop in Sheffield and admin experience having done IT work for a few local Charities.
It sounds like you have a lot going for you Rich. Sounds like you might be perfect fit for a bookshop- or maybe even a writer. I can't spell or proof read to save myself. You should be an asset, never mind the ASC.

New Threads

Top Bottom