• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Agencies and full time work!

Mr Allen

V.I.P Member
Topic.

Just had a call from LuCreative, they sent me an email half an hour ago asking me to give them a call, I did and they were on another line so they rang me back, they want me to visit their Office in Town, well they did, I explained that unfortunately I cannot come off benefits and work full time due to disability, so they said thanks but no thanks.

I'm very sorry but WTF?! Why don't they specify full time only only the sodding adverts?!

It's an unfortunate reality, but when potential employers see or hear the word "DISABILITY," their red flags go up and a candidate's application goes to the bottom as they "pursue those better qualified for the position." Just because there are laws to protect those with a disability doesn't mean they do, as employers know how to easily get around the laws.

Precisely, I've been saying for years that current "equality" laws are a joke because the government doesn't enforce said laws and never will, hence people like me can't get a job outside of the voluntary sector, and I must've worked in nearly every Charity shop in Sheffield.

After having worked for agencies for many years, I know they also seek people to be flexible, in that many jobs may need workers to be available for overtime too, especially in the build up to Christmas. Agencies are in the business of making money with the minimum of hassle for themselves. Unfortunately Rich, as you don't drive, are not prepared or able to travel far, will not work when you might be needed only when you want to, you are scared to lose your benefits and you always mention your disabilities right at the start even though there is no legal requirement to do so, to be honest you will really struggle to find anyone willing to take you on, despite how keen you may be.

After having worked for agencies for many years, I know they also seek people to be flexible, in that many jobs may need workers to be available for overtime too, especially in the build up to Christmas. Agencies are in the business of making money with the minimum of hassle for themselves. Unfortunately Rich, as you don't drive, are not prepared or able to travel far, will not work when you might be needed only when you want to, you are scared to lose your benefits and you always mention your disabilities right at the start even though there is no legal requirement to do so, to be honest you will really struggle to find anyone willing to take you on, despite how keen you may be.

The problem is, my Flat is at risk if I lose Housing Benefit, as I physically cannot work 60 hours a week to keep up with rent payments and bills and everything else.

Also, I can only work up to, or ideally less than, 16 hours a week at full ininium wage without severe benefit sanctions, and I don't trust the Tory government to not take any excuse to pull me off benefits and force me to work a Million hours a week just to break even, that's if I could even get a job in the first place outside of the ****ing voluntary sector.

Last edited:
Just had a call from LuCreative, they sent me an email half an hour ago asking me to give them a call, I did and they were on another line so they rang me back, they want me to visit their Office in Town, well they did, I explained that unfortunately I cannot come off benefits and work full time due to disability, so they said thanks but no thanks.

I'm very sorry but WTF?! Why don't they specify full time only only the sodding adverts?!

It sounds like you need to change your game plan when it comes to getting a job.

You might consider being less candid in the words you choose. Don't use the phrase "I can't come off benefits"- if you can avoid it. That tells them a little too much about your predicament and may be quite a "turn-off" to employment agencies as well as employers themselves. And inquire before you interview that the job is either part time or full time.

And to accept that they aren't there to accommodate you. You must accommodate them.

Only mention your disabilities that truly impact the hours and physical labor you can handle. And one thing else- stop mentioning you have Aspergers. That could also be an instant buzzkill to them. So it's time to interview accordingly. Tell them how you can be an asset to a potential employer, and learn to leave out telling them so many things that may appear as a liability to them. No, it's not fair, but it what it is.

Last edited:
It sounds like you need to change your game plan when it comes to getting a job.

You might consider being less candid in the words you choose. Don't use the phrase "I can't come off benefits"- if you can avoid it. That tells them a little too much about your predicament and may be quite a "turn-off" to employment agencies as well as employers themselves. And inquire before you interview that the job is either part time or full time.

And to accept that they aren't there to accommodate you. You must accommodate them.

Only mention your disabilities that truly impact the hours and physical labor you can handle. And one thing else- stop mentioning you have Aspergers. That could also be an instant buzzkill to them. So it's time to interview accordingly. Tell them how you can be an asset to a potential employer, and learn to leave out telling them so many things that may appear as a liability to them. No, it's not fair, but it what it is.

It is supposed to be ILLEGAL to outright discriminate against people like me, yet they're getting away with it every time because the clueless cretins who run the Country will never enforce the equality laws.

They'd rather bleat about Brexit etc.

It is supposed to be ILLEGAL to outright discriminate against people like me, yet they're getting away with it every time because the clueless cretins who run the Country will never enforce the equality laws.

FORGET your "equality laws". In most cases they simply won't protect you.

Most civil infractions in general only have a "bite" to them if a plaintiff is willing to pursue the matter through litigation. Which always means time and expense not only for your legal counsel, but you personally. Forget relying on government to enforce such laws. It's largely left up to you to pursue as a private citizen short of successfully lobbying government to criminally prosecute such a case. No different than in the states, I suspect.

Employers aren't being totally "up-front" with you, and you must interview in an alike manner. Just tell them what it may take to nail down that job. Not to lie, but simply don't tell them everything that may jeopardize being hired.

Last edited:
Rich with respect, you just don't get it! I used to run a small business, would I have employed you, no and I'll tell you why. To begin you seem to have a very negative attitude, you only ever talk about what you can't do, that you're disabled, hardly want to work any hours, don't want to lose benefits etc. That is what a potential employer hears! You never emphasis what you can do, what you are great at and what you are going to offer an employer. Then when you don't get the job you assume it's because you're being discriminated against.

Let me give you an example, if I advertised for a plasterer I guarantee I'd get 20 calls minimum. If I interviewed someone who said I'm the best plasterer on gods earth but I don't drive, can I get picked up and dropped off from a bus stop?, I would say ok that's fine. If they said I've got Aspergers I prefer to work alone but I'll make us both lots of money, I'd say ok I can work with that. If they said sometimes things get too much for me and I might need a day off, but I'll make up that time working a Saturday or extra hours finishing jobs during the week, that could be helpful for me if a job was tight, so I could work with that.

If you were a plasterer and said I don't drive, I've got disabilities, I don't want to lose my benefits and I'm not working more than 2 days a week, you would not get the job, and that would not be discrimination!

Most jobs are full time unless they say otherwise.

You still have to prove you can do the job. That is the point. If you are unable to do the job they don't have to employ you, (if I had no legs and couldn't walk I couldn't do my job as there is no reasonable adjustment that could be made as I need to access remote and rough terrain on my own) and won't want to employ you. You have positives you need to show them so they want you.

Most employers aren't a charity. And those that are tend not to pay you- though you know that already.

Have a word with the job centre and benefits agency about making the transition. You should still get stuff like PIP. On minimum wage there may still be some help available. I think they can do a calculation for you to check you are better off than on benefits IIRC?

Most jobs are full time unless they say otherwise.

You still have to prove you can do the job. That is the point. If you are unable to do the job they don't have to employ you, (if I had no legs and couldn't walk I couldn't do my job as there is no reasonable adjustment that could be made as I need to access remote and rough terrain on my own) and won't want to employ you. You have positives you need to show them so they want you.

Most employers aren't a charity. And those that are tend not to pay you- though you know that already.

Have a word with the job centre and benefits agency about making the transition. You should still get stuff like PIP. On minimum wage there may still be some help available. I think they can do a calculation for you to check you are better off than on benefits IIRC?

I need to keep benefits, otherwise I've been told I would have no choice but to work 60 hours a week just to break even on a week's expenses such as rent if I lose Housing Benefit.

Blame the system, not me.

It's not that they don't enforce the laws, it's that companies have found plenty of ways around them.

They will not say to someone "we won't employ you because you are disabled" because they would be breaking the law and would get into trouble. They will say "we are looking for someone more qualified/able to work in a team/able to work alone etc etc etc". That way, they haven't broken the law.

Last edited:
I need to keep benefits, otherwise I've been told I would have no choice but to work 60 hours a week just to break even on a week's expenses such as rent if I lose Housing Benefit.

Blame the system, not me.

Hopefully that isn't something you're conveying or implying to any prospective employer in the private sector. Or much of anyone else, to be honest. It's the sort of thing taxpayers and employers just don't want to hear, no matter how legitimate your government entitlements may be.

Again it's not about what is fair or even legal, it's simply how most people react.

Then again, if you are truly making that much money in government entitlements, from their point of view it may imply that it isn't intended for you to be able to supplement this income. Something I'd personally inquire about directly with whatever department handles your government entitlements if it were my circumstances.

That it's conceivable that your own government has somehow "shut you out" of any legitimate prospects for part-time work. And that while prospective employers may be aware of such circumstances, you presently are not. Just a thought, anyways.

Last edited:
Hi Rich. Can you possibly rent out a room to help with bills, etc.? But then I think you still live with your folks, can't remember.

Hi Rich. Can you possibly rent out a room to help with bills, etc.? But then I think you still live with your folks, can't remember.

Subletting his flat? He'd have to examine his lease agreement to make sure it isn't contractually prohibited. Otherwise he could be subject to possible eviction.

Subletting his flat? He'd have to examine his lease agreement to make sure it isn't contractually prohibited. Otherwise he could be subject to possible eviction.
UK housing benefit system is designed to force a claimant to rent out a spare room. Or move. it was dubbed "the bedroom tax".

UK housing benefit system is designed to force a claimant to rent out a spare room. Or move. it was dubbed "the bedroom tax".

LOL. Mind-boggling from a US perspective. Especially if this involves tenants rather than owners. :eek:

It's just a "no-go" here either usually for contractual reasons of landlords and/or insurers. Tenants being allowed to sublet their landlord's property is fundamentally considered a bad risk in general.

Last edited:
@Judge The intention behind it was to prevent for example, a single person living in a 3 bedroom apartment at the tax payers expense. The situation was becoming ridiculous, where people who didn't work were living in accommodation that people in full time employment couldn't afford, yet had to pick up the bill for others.

I moved out in August 2006 actually aged 30 years, 4 months and 2 days.

Into a 1 Bedroom Flat (Americans would call it an Apartment) in Central Sheffield.

As it happens I've just emailed Theresa May, the UK Prime Minister on the matter of discrimination against disabled job applicants, although I'm sure she'll do a great big fat soggy sod all, probably won't even reply to my email.

New Threads

Top Bottom