• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Age Assumptions?

Ravkrat

I couldn't really think of where to put this so thought here would be the best place.

Do people ever think you are older than you really are? For me it has more to do with not talking/being taller than most so people assume I'm mid-twenties/early-thirties,the only thing that has me puzzled is that I have no idea if this is just something that happens to me or others?If it does happen to you, what do you think causes it?

People tend to think I'm younger than I actually am. But I'm tiny and have a baby face, so . . . :p

It's always amusing to see people in line at the checkout stand get carded.

Until it's my turn. I could be standing there with liquor and nitroglycerin and they'd just ask me if I wanted paper or plastic.

Go figure...:{

People tend to be kinda clueless about my age. Though most people make a guess and think I'm quite a bit younger than I actually am. Let's just say that in the past 10 years I haven't aged physically and I have this forever young thing going on, lol

Yes, everyone says I look around 18-20, but I'm only 14, It's most likely because I'm 6' 1" and have facial hair :D I always forget to shave. Helps for getting into movies though.

People tend to be kinda clueless about my age. Though most people make a guess and think I'm quite a bit younger than I actually am. Let's just say that in the past 10 years I haven't aged physically and I have this forever young thing going on, lol

Perhaps you have a Beard of Agelessness. :D

People have always thought that I was younger than I looked. I remember when I was in my early twenties, one guy told me I looked like I was still a teenager, but later realised I was older, because apparently I held myself in a more mature way.

I have a younger sister too, who's three years younger, and most people think I'm the youngest of the two. Possibly because she dresses all corporate-like, and I'm just a big kid :p

On a developmental level I feel like I'm somewhere in my 20ies (I am in fact 43).

I feel I've done fewer things than peers my age (family, kids and so on).

I also feel that I have no problem connecting with people half my age although I am a pretty private person so perhaps I haven't reached the level of connection where there actually are any problems to be had...

I think people believe I am in my thirties, but I haven't really had anyone comment it straight out... besides, after 20 the childishness goes out of people and I think it's harder to guess people's age until you get closer to retirement age. I have a friend with all grey hair, and he's a couple of years younger than me... I have at most a handful of grey hairs.

Yep,
People tell me I look younger than my actual age
It use to annoy me having to produce ID, everytime to get into nightclubs. There had to be a pay off eventually. So now later in life, ill take it, thank u very much

I was tall and heavily built, so when I was in my early teens most people assumed I was in my mid twenties. I was almost 40 before I got carded for the first time (and that was at a bar in the US where they were required to card everyone).

It seems more common though for those on the spectrum to age more slowly.

The funny thing is it's the opposite for me. I look about 15. People don't take me seriously at all.. Bleh.. i guess i'll be thankful of it in a few years :)

I used to have long, ratty hair, and a huge bushy beard. As if that wasn't enough, I wasn't the most hygienic, and wore a lot of 80's black metal t-shirts. So one day I show up with my hair cut, my beard shaved, and my face washed, etc.

People we're completely floored that I was 16, and not in fact 40. But then they we're floored again when I told them I was actually 18. lol. I'm a bit older now, and people think I'm maybe 19 or 20. Not to shabby, if I do say so myself.

From the other perspective, I feel a lot younger than I am. It worries me though, cos it reminds me of that old Labrador thats running around like a nutcase, cos it doesn't know its old. Then it drops dead. I use to think, stupid dog has no idea how old it is. Dam, when I look in the mirror, I see that same old lab. Geez thought I had a higher IQ than a dog. Oh welle least ill go out, having fun

I'm 20, but most people tend to think I look younger. I've had people tell me I look about 16, and I always get asked for ID whenever I buy alcohol. The funny thing is, I work behind a bar, and sometimes have to ID customers; I've had some of them tell me I don't even look old enough to be serving alcohol.

I guess I do sometimes feel younger than I actually am because I've never really been able to relate to most people my age, and I still have interests that could be considered "immature" and not typical of 20 year-old women. Still, I can be quite philosophical about things and frequently get told that I have an "old head" on my shoulders. It's probably why I've always gotten along better with older adults than people my own age.

I am sixteen, but and I look around that age, but if you would look at my behavour, I am very mature. Some would estimate it me being grownup. I guess that is what you get, wheb you havent had that much fun in life.
I have to add, I can be quite childish too.

Yes, everyone says I look around 18-20, but I'm only 14, It's most likely because I'm 6' 1" and have facial hair :D I always forget to shave. Helps for getting into movies though.
I'm 13 but everyone thinks my extremely tall younger sister and I are 12-14 year old twins (it drives me crazy) when we're seen together. When it's just me, people think that I'm about 15. Idk why, I'm only 5'4",

I'm 20, but most people tend to think I look younger. I've had people tell me I look about 16, and I always get asked for ID whenever I buy alcohol. The funny thing is, I work behind a bar, and sometimes have to ID customers; I've had some of them tell me I don't even look old enough to be serving alcohol.

I guess I do sometimes feel younger than I actually am because I've never really been able to relate to most people my age, and I still have interests that could be considered "immature" and not typical of 20 year-old women. Still, I can be quite philosophical about things and frequently get told that I have an "old head" on my shoulders. It's probably why I've always gotten along better with older adults than people my own age.
I thought the legal age to drink was 21...?

New Threads

Top Bottom