1. Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

After Diagnosis

Discussion in 'General Autism Discussion' started by louloulovesdogs, Aug 7, 2017.

1. louloulovesdogs

louloulovesdogs Active Member

Those of us who have been diagnosed in teen-adulthood......did you change anything after being diagnosed?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. As sweet as-pie

As sweet as-pie Well-Known Member

I got diagnosed when I was 17. I guess the only thing I changed is that I stopped making myself do things that were too stressful and overwhelming and started accepting myself and my limitations. I also used to have very low self esteem and hate myself but when I got diagnosed, everything made sense and I realised why I was different so I stopped trying to fit in anymore. Overall, I changed for the better.

• Like Like x 1
  3. clg114

clg114 Still crazy, after all these years. Staff Member V.I.P Member

I did not change anything after my diagnosis but I was 62 at that time. By then my life style was set, I had a wife and a big family. I also had been working doing the same thing for many years. However, It did make a difference. I was glad to know why I am, the way that I am. I feel like I know myself better than before the diagnosis and it feels good.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  4. Weezer

Weezer Active Member

I am looking for some input on experiences after the diagnosis. I have had tests over the past couple of months, appointments in which it is just speaking back and forth and more appointments scheduled.

I am not a grey area person at all, meaning that I tell it as it is and expect the same from others. I have been told a twice now that "we will work together and over time we will lessen your suffering". I am now seeing two different doctors, one a Phd psychologist and the other an MD psychiatrist. Neither seem to want to listen very well, or at least hear what I am saying. I am not suffering in the sense that I am depressed. I just get very uncomfortable when forced to interact with people or when I am not left alone. One had told me "there are several billion people in this world and we can't change them, so we must change you". I don't want to change me. I like me mostly. Not saying that I don't work on improving myself every chance I get.

I'm on a medication now (information in the medication post) and have an appointment with the Phd psychologist this week. This is unfamiliar territory for me and would like some help from you guys, please. What am I to expect over the next week/month/year?
    Thank you all