• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Afraid to get close to people?

i think its natural for autism
for me personally all i want is the relationship.i had with my mother before i began to be educated outside of my home
maybe we find it very hard maintain a deep friendship
i think maybe people perceive a message from people at hf end of as that says hardwork not shallow friendship or a person to lean on
so they put a wall up
Actually aspergers is high on the autism spectrum. I'm very smart, but my social skills suck. but, I'm sorry I just don't care how "popular" I am on facebook, I'm also very independent. I'm not a loser for thinking that, am I?

Actually aspergers is high on the autism spectrum. I'm very smart, but my social skills suck. but, I'm sorry I just don't care how "popular" I am on facebook, I'm also very independent. I'm not a loser for thinking that, am I?
If you're a loser, than the majority of us are. :D

i know the pre 2013 def of the dsm 4-5
in the UK Aspergers is called mild high functioning autism- Aspergers was binned as a label as nt's for the most part thought it meant we were having a wonderful life because of the couple of savants theyd seen in the media!!!

I worry that if I make new friends they will eventually abandoned me as friends have in the past. I fear getting to know my support staff as one of my favourite TAs died and I was divested.

Yea and why do some people think we are "retarded"?

Because public perception of Auties (usually by portrayals by the media and the dreaded Autism $peaks) is of a mentally slow child who is good at one thing an one thing alone but is otherwise an emotionless robot. Who cannot even do anything without an adults help or extensive psychological "treatment".

I cannot tell you how many times people find out I am an Autie and say things like "wow you don't look Autistic!", "I thought most autistics couldn't function right." or "Are you sure your autistic, because the TV says that...".

Because public perception of Auties (usually by portrayals by the media and the dreaded Autism $peaks) is of a mentally slow child who is good at one thing an one thing alone but is otherwise an emotionless robot. Who cannot even do anything without an adults help or extensive psychological "treatment".

I cannot tell you how many times people find out I am an Autie and say things like "wow you don't look Autistic!", "I thought most autistics couldn't function right." or "Are you sure your autistic, because the TV says that...".
We were actually pretty active on a thread called "Don't look autistic" that you will probably find yourself agreeing with a lot.

New Threads

Top Bottom