• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Advice, Fitness Careers for People on The Spectrum

Ben28

I'll try to mentor a recent college grad on The Spectrum this weekend who's interested in health and fitness, lives in the Indianapolis, Indiana USA area, and is looking for a job. I'll learn more about him this weekend, but in the meantime, does anyone know of any jobs that might be good fits for him? Does anyone know anyone who might be able to offer him advice, etc? I was in a similar situation as him a year ago, but I work in finance now.

Does he want to be a doctor or personal trainer? And is he more modern or new age? If he doesn't like getting sweaty all that much, I'd say aim to be a doctor or a physical or occupational therapist. If he likes getting sweaty, I'd recommend him to be a trainer or yoga teacher. From there, I'd say if his social anxiety acts up too much, stick to small one-on-one sessions. If not, take a chance with teaching classes so he could impact more people.

I know next to nothing about Indiana, so I don't know who he'd need to talk to whichever way he leans. I'm guessing he might could go to a facility he likes and start asking them directly how to join them? He might luck out and get a job quickly through asking, along with some pointers of any classes or certifications he needs.

Does he want to be a doctor or personal trainer? And is he more modern or new age? If he doesn't like getting sweaty all that much, I'd say aim to be a doctor or a physical or occupational therapist. If he likes getting sweaty, I'd recommend him to be a trainer or yoga teacher. From there, I'd say if his social anxiety acts up too much, stick to small one-on-one sessions. If not, take a chance with teaching classes so he could impact more people.

I know next to nothing about Indiana, so I don't know who he'd need to talk to whichever way he leans. I'm guessing he might could go to a facility he likes and start asking them directly how to join them? He might luck out and get a job quickly through asking, along with some pointers of any classes or certifications he needs.

Thanks AsheSkyler for giving me some questions to ask him, and for the advice about visiting facilities and asking advice. It turns that the mentoring session is tentative and could happen later (still before the end of July), but I'll reply with either my answers to your questions if the meeting happens, or the good news that he's hired (without specifics for confidentiality).

Also, I love your quotes.

Thanks AsheSkyler for giving me some questions to ask him, and for the advice about visiting facilities and asking advice. It turns that the mentoring session is tentative and could happen later (still before the end of July), but I'll reply with either my answers to your questions if the meeting happens, or the good news that he's hired (without specifics for confidentiality).

Also, I love your quotes.
Best of luck to him. I hope he gets the job, that kind of stuff is a lot of fun to do. :)

And thankie! :D

I wish him the best of luck and he should definitely try and shoot for his area of interest. My advice to him would be to not become upset or depressed if it does not work out. That's easier said than done because I'm on my 4th (or maybe 5th) career. I seem to function best at the lower end of the socioeconomic stratem, i.e. being a Security Guard. I may not love it, but I can't argue the low stress. And when it does become stressful, it's not to the point that I cannot handle it - I just let law enforcement handle it.

New Threads

Top Bottom