• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Advice before a surgery?

onlything

V.I.P Member
It seems one of my great saphenous veins stopped working and I'm going to have to have it operated.

Did any of you have such an experience? Any advice on how to prepare myself (and stay calm)? I will have to wait until autumn since all surgeries were cancelled due to coronavirus, but it should happen sometime in the middle of it, so I'm wondering what I should expect.

If the doctor tells you to not eat before surgery, listen to them. I've heard stories of idiots who ate anyway and lied to the doctor about it, and then while put under they threw up and nearly choked to death on it. You're not even supposed to brush your teeth before being put under for surgery.

I had corrective leg surgery not too long ago. You will be given a list of what not to do before surgery like not taking over the counter pain meds that thin the blood, not eating 12 hours before surgery etc. You will have to have someone drive you home. You will be prepped for all that in advance.

The going in for surgery part was easy. They give me something ahead of time that made me totally relaxed. The doctors even joked around and told me not to worry because they watched a youtube video on to do this. Then the next thing I knew I was waking up sitting in a chair wrapped in a blanket and groggy with a nurse attending me. And then I was taken home. The whole thing was dreamlike and not a bad experience at all.

The recuperation process at home after the surgery was the unpleasant part. Basically it was the same as if I had had a bad leg injury. I was in a cast. Had to keep my leg elevated. Was encumbered. Stuff like that. The healing process the first few days was basically a drag. But not that big of a deal. Not what I would call one of the worst experiences I ever had. It's just something you'll want to get through and back to normal asap. Took a long time before my leg felt completely normal again. But it is one of those things where each day I felt a bit better and knew I was healing up.

Last edited:
I've never had leg vein surgery but I had a hernia surgery within the last year or so. I was very apprehensive as it was my first surgery under general anesthesia. I knew I needed the surgery and not having it had negatively impacted my ability to accomplish many things I wanted and needed to do in life. So I resigned myself to the fact that I couldn't put it off any longer and I submitted to the process. I had many fears about it prior to the surgery.

The surgery process was a "piece of cake". They gave me a relaxant in the IV prior to putting me under and I was completely calm. Then I was out without even being aware of losing consciousness. It was like a light switch. I was aware one second and out that same second. Then I woke up what seemed like a minute later and the surgery was done. I'm so very glad I got the surgery done. Those who know me know that I've accomplished more in the last year than I have in ten years and the things I've been able to do I could never have even attempted with my hernia.

I wish you the best with your surgery and I hope you have a rapid and complete recovery.

I've had a ton of reconstructive surgery. One think I'd keep thinking was that there's no reason to worry. After all, it's the doctors who will be doing all the work, not me.

I can also recommend bringing clothes that are easy on your surgery site. Like, my surgeries were largely on my face, so I'd wear button shirts when leaving so I don't have to pull a shirt over my newly ouched face.

Does this surgery involve a hospital stay? Hospitals are noisy places, and very boring if you have to stay there. So I would bring plenty of things to keep you occupied, and also earplugs and sunglasses, a blindfold for if you have to stay overnight. You might need to have scans and tests before the surgery, and some of these like a CT scan involved bright over head lights, so if you are sensitive to light, I would take sunglasses to tests and scans.

Does this surgery involve a hospital stay? Hospitals are noisy places, and very boring if you have to stay there. So I would bring plenty of things to keep you occupied, and also earplugs and sunglasses, a blindfold for if you have to stay overnight. You might need to have scans and tests before the surgery, and some of these like a CT scan involved bright over head lights, so if you are sensitive to light, I would take sunglasses to tests and scans.

It does seem I have to take a few tests, including covid one, before the surgery but the operation itself is supposed to be a one-day stay. I come, get it done, leave the next morning. Similar to removing tonsils as I was told.

If I sleep through it, then it's definitely not too bad.

It does seem I have to take a few tests, including covid one, before the surgery but the operation itself is supposed to be a one-day stay. I come, get it done, leave the next morning. Similar to removing tonsils as I was told.

If I sleep through it, then it's definitely not too bad.

An overnight stay is good. You will be on meds that will help you to sleep like a baby. That is one thing I liked about post surgery. I got really great sleep while taking the pain meds.

Its scary but youll be so doped up and feel good, last surgery i was super doped up and flirted with nurses i felt so good i was so silly.

This sort of thing is always a bit scary, though from what alot of people often say, it ends up being not too bad.

I havent had surgery on that level before myself. What I had done was oral/dental/something surgery, which is a much smaller thing. To pull this really stupid-looking tooth down that had never come down by itself, because why not. "It'll look so much better" they said. No, it looks bloody stupid, it's very malformed.

But anyway, I was freaking terrified beforehand. It was even worse when I heard that they were going to give me 4 shots.... in my mouth. I've a fear of needles.

In reality though, what it mostly was.... is bloody boring. It was like 3 hours of staring up the docctor's nose as he did who knows what. I kept nearly falling asleep, not because of anything they gave me (it wasnt that kind of anesthetic), but because I was absolutely bored out of my mind, but they'd jab me with a finger each time and say "No, you cant do that". 3 hours. Very dull. Reminds me of getting an MRI, those are a little scary but also super boring, except it took absolutely forever. Overall, I felt *nothing* through the whole thing. Nothing at all. Not even the needles (they used some topical mystery goo before giving the shots).

The worst part was that for the next 3 days I could eat nothing but soup. I tell you, I dont have soup very often anymore.

0/10, very dull, do not recommend.

Point is, with this sort of thing, alot of the fear is just in your head. In reality, it's likely to be quite a bit easier than you think.

Hmm, I didn't even think of inpatient procedures. I always found the stay to be reaally boring. Sure, there's a TV usually, but for some reason I never had my hearing aids with me, so I never bothered with it. It also means that I don't know how loud they can be, but the pre-op areas were always pretty quiet in my experience. I could have played with a GameBoy or something, but I'm super uncomfortable with moving my hands much when there's an IV in it.

So basically I just slept the whole time, waiting for my family to arrive so I could at least have company for a short bit, even if I couldn't really talk.

I've never had an overnight stay (I usually stay a few days to a week, except for a few where I left later that day) but I imagine it will involve a lot of sleep, so I wouldn't bother bringing much more than a book or a music player.

Guess if you are super fearful, maybe have someone visit as soon as you are able to. Order special meal beforehand if needed. You got this, l know you can do it.

I always found the stay to be reaally boring. Sure, there's a TV usually, but for some reason I never had my hearing aids with me, so I never bothered with it. It also means that I don't know how loud they can be, but the pre-op areas were always pretty quiet in my experience.
When I had to go to hospital, there was a TV, but it wasn't provided by the hospital, it was one that had been hired by another patient on the ward and she controled it, so she watched whatever she liked and what she watched was mostly crap. And she had it on all day, so if I wanted a bit of quiet, I couldn't get it. That's the difficult thing about hospitals, they are a noisy, stressful environment that you have no control over.

Another thing I should point out about overnight stays, is watch your personal belongings. In the hospital that I was in, anyone could just walk in off the street, and it wasn't safe to leave personal belongings around. Though now, thanks to Covid, I think that people are no longer allowed to just wander in.

I second the advice given by the posters before me. You’ll get advice on how to prepare for the surgery, and you’ll have to take it easy for a few days once your at home.
I never spent the night in a hospital as a patient, but I did work the night shift as a doctor. If you have to stay the night after surgery, see if you can bring ear plugs or, even better, noise canceling headphones. Depending on the other patients in your room, things can be pretty noisy at night (or pretty quiet). Some patients will be unable to visit a bathroom by themselves, so they will have to use a toilet chair next to their beds (or relieve themselves on a bedpan). Then there’s the occasional snoring, coughing or vomiting. It could be that your painkillers have you sleeping through the night, but extra safety measures can’t hurt :)

You are in safe hands, with them, friend. Just remember that They are watching over you while you are in the Astral plane. You will be safe there whilst they purge your body of your illness. Just do as they say while they have the mask on you, let the numbers you count guide you to safety. I see that someone who has passed on in your life will defend you while you are dreaming.

You are in safe hands, with them, friend. Just remember that They are watching over you while you are in the Astral plane. You will be safe there whilst they purge your body of your illness. Just do as they say while they have the mask on you, let the numbers you count guide you to safety. I see that someone who has passed on in your life will defend you while you are dreaming.

Aww, that's so sweet, UberScout!

New Threads

Top Bottom