• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Adult With Autism: Is more like a kid (Need some support)

Long story short, I always have to act differently than I would probably naturally be. I guess it's both a blessing and a curse that I am able to.
As far as the negative/not understanding family members, I would avoid them like the plague, they aren't going to do anything positive in her life.(at least from your description).

"Rosie_Eagling, post:

They both do understand disabilities. The one family member (the grandfather) has attended things such as dinners supporting a special needs organisation. While the other one used to work with those with disabilities such as Autism. They are aware of what disabilities such as Autism are and is kind to other people who have disabilities. The only thing they don't like is when someone (an adult or someone 15+) acts like a child, looks like a child, likes TV shows meant for kids, etc.

" Well from my point of view its scary that they actually have worked with people with this diagnosis based on how they choose to treat this young woman"

Much probably won't be done about the way the dog behaves. One day she was chewing and taking sticks in the yard and they were taken from her from the one family member and the other one ends up taking a giant piece of a branch off of the tree and giving it to her. So one person may try to do something but then it fails once someone does something to mess that up- such as the other family member giving her the branch.

" Yes well they just wait until the dog have reached adult age (i actually took care of a dog just like that (Mix breed 50 % Ovsharca (VERY BIG Russian breed and VERY tough) / German Shepard /Doberman 2 years old and 0 upbringing from puppy so yeah :rolleyes: (Yes i got the dog to be a VERY good dog thru ALLOT of hard work and help from a professional dog trainer but sadly due t i couldn't give him what he needed (ie more active life ) i had no choice then to return him to the dog shelter (he soon aftergot picked up from a professional wild predator tracker and they were VERY satisfied with him "
The issue is if she just magically showed up at the house of another family member which would be impossible due to her not knowing where any of them live they would instantly call the two family members (not the dad) and told them what happened and that would basically end up them coming and taking her back.

" i was of course referring to voluntary moving were all parties agreed but i do understand youre point "

It would be a big challenge going to the authorities about any of this. There are no signs of her being physically abused, sexually abused, or physically noticeable neglect.

" I understand i was more thinning of witch i agree is harder to prove "

An issue did happen years ago in which someone in the family ended up causing several small wounds on her arms and legs while forcing her down- so this family member could very well easily said she did it herself- which is NOT TRUE.She was around 14-16 yrs old at the time. Also, if she is viewed by authorities as having the mind of a child- they may ask the adult who cares for her and would end up believe him. When she wasn't in school (since the age 13-14) the dad had "claimed" (not sure if true) that a person from the police station did come and ask if she was in school and he claimed she was home schooled- which is a complete lie. She was never asked by this "supposed" police officer and she wasn't even home that day (she was at the house of the other two family members that day). If they would have asked her or looked into it further they would have found out he was lying. Unfortunately, the family is well known in the town, in the eyes of the public they are viewed as good, generous and caring people but it's a different story in the inside of the home. Basically no one even the law enforcement in the area would believe they would act this way. In the past whenever the small chance she was asked something (at school, with other family members) someone (the two family members or the dad) was always right next to her so that isn't very helpful.

" Yes it sounds again to me like a smaller old stile community were she lives :rolleyes: "

We do not live there.

" Oh i understand that never meant it to sound like you did dear :oops: "

" Again what you the other family members should do is try to talk to her dad and said other current living family members around this young woman and try to make them understand that this is NOT going to end well for the young woman. Fore example what happens when said grandfather leaves this earth what then ? Based on youre statements reg her life and disablitys she dont stand a living chance in RL as is :( "

CLARIFICATION in NO way shape or form am trying to blame you for any this Rosie . Its just meant to be supportive and hopefully helpful advice and my own feelings reg this subject.

It's quite difficult. Her older brother is able to stay at houses of friends and their parents if he needs a break or just wants to hang out with them for awhile. However, with her she just doesn't have any friends, she's never had any. I know it wasn't because she had Autism and Mild Intellectual Disability (at least I hope not) but I know some who had Autism and mild cases of an intellectual disability and had several friends. Also with the fact she hasn't been in school in a couple of years (due to the dad) she doesn't have them now. She also isn't in social groups for teens/young adults/adults with autism to help her to start making some friends. It's just quite hard because she is really nice and sweet and doesn't cause any issues- she's incredible and is kind to everyone.

Long story short, I always have to act differently than I would probably naturally be. I guess it's both a blessing and a curse that I am able to.
As far as the negative/not understanding family members, I would avoid them like the plague, they aren't going to do anything positive in her life.(at least from your description).

I'm going to try my hardest to make sure of that. They won't be 100% avoidable but I can try to make sure that no more visits can be made to their house.

It's quite difficult. Her older brother is able to stay at houses of friends and their parents if he needs a break or just wants to hang out with them for awhile. However, with her she just doesn't have any friends, she's never had any. I know it wasn't because she had Autism and Mild Intellectual Disability (at least I hope not) but I know some who had Autism and mild cases of an intellectual disability and had several friends. Also with the fact she hasn't been in school in a couple of years (due to the dad) she doesn't have them now. She also isn't in social groups for teens/young adults/adults with autism to help her to start making some friends. It's just quite hard because she is really nice and sweet and doesn't cause any issues- she's incredible and is kind to everyone.

I agree her dad has really manged to complicate this poor young woman's life :( BUT that dont mean everything's lost it can still be fixed tho.

I wish I could help but this is a horrible situation for your family member and my heart goes out to her,I’m 36 and I wear shirts with stuff like Star Wars,Disney Princesses and and even Harry Potter stuff,my husband never criticised me for wearing these shirts because he know that this is who I am and he accepts my quirkiness,I have in the past had people criticise how I dress including calling me things that I am not going to repeat here and it really did hurt me a lot,some people like your family seem to not able accept something that doesn’t fit into their way of life and also in total denial of your relatives conditions,I do have a strong sense of individuality and I believe your relative shouldn’t feel ashamed of herself and if she is not hurting anyone else with her clothes then there shouldn’t be a problem.

I don't know if this information will help, but my youngest daughter was not able to make friends easily as well. She also dresses 'differently' and still likes what she refers to as 'kiddish' things. She's 26.

There will always be people who judge others by the ridiculous standards of the society in which we live. The best that we can do for the people who are at risk for this sort of contemptuous behavior is to prepare them. Give them the tools to deal with the A-holes of the world and that includes steering clear of those types as much as possible. Then we can be a safe and welcoming place for them to come.

New Threads

Top Bottom