• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Addressing double standards in dating/love/sex

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ever since Ma Nature invented gender, every critter has had to determine two things before reacting to another critter: 1: It it my species? 2: If yes, which gender?
I first found out about double standards around age two. My mother was usually meticulously fair. If she was visiting another mother, she would either take nothing, or something for each of the children there. Then I got in trouble for hurting my 4 yr old sister's feelings. I didn't know what feelings were, so I wouldn't apologize until they had described them, and then I was sincere about having been wrong. Two weeks later, I recognized that she had hurt my feelings, so I went and complained in turn. I got two blank stares. Boys were not expected to develop feelings of any consequence. They would just be a liability if I got drafted.
There are very good reasons for many double standards, because men and women have differences in their optimum reproductive tactics, which shows up clearly in genetic studies.
I read a book 20 years ago that described the female brain having an emotional neural network like an autobahn compared to a man's which was more like a dusty old country road.

Now it's a bit taboo to say there's a male or female brain. Whether it's new scientific discoveries or sociological orthodoxy I don't know.

w
I read a book 20 years ago that described the female brain having an emotional neural network like an autobahn compared to a man's which was more like a dusty old country road.

Now it's a bit taboo to say there's a male or female brain. Whether it's new scientific discoveries or sociological orthodoxy I don't know.
If there is a female brain, I have yet to decipher it, especially if there are mixed signals.

@BewilderedPerson
You caught yourself in a terminology trap. Take the "L" and change your wording :)
"M/F behavioral differences" works better (see the end of this post). And the SSSM link I use:
(You're on the Integrated Model side of the table)
It can easily be used to frame the discussion and reduces the risk of drama.

@tree
Your first link might be based on solid, but incomplete facts (we have to forgive journos for doing this sometimes).
The conclusions as stated don't hold up though.

The Guardian article is a puff piece based on 21st century popular ideology. The person who wrote the book (Gina Rippon) is sure to be a bit more serious. But the wikipedia article is mostly hot air: there's no data supporting her "views", and some clearly valid criticisms. Which, especially in the 2020's, is a very bad sign.

Note that this general area (everything regarding the "blank slate vs inherent traits" argument) has been highly politicized for decades. Skepticism is necessary even with data and opinions you're predisposed to agree with.

The second one is a "hardware" ("wetware" if you prefer) comparison. It's based on many earlier studies (generally looking for different things) rather than a specific study aiming to prove or disprove a carefully defined hypothesis.

Studies like this are practical due to the low costs and large scale, and can be very useful.
But they're almost always limited because finer details in the carefully targeted individual studies have to be discarded. The result is more data but less "information granularity".

The article mentions physical size (essentially confirming that brain size correlates with skull size, which is hardly news) and some low-granularity results about electrical signals.in the brain.

Those are potentially interesting, but the issue with what you can learn from electrical signals is unresolvable.
Thought processes cannot be measured that way. It's very difficult even if you know what the subject is thinking about. So the low-rez finding across many studies that the gross electrical processes are more or less the same for XY- and XX-humans is useful, but says nothing about e.g. the claims in the Guardian puff piece.

It would be strange to find really large differences in the physical functioning of a human brain too.
Everyone accepts that we're "programmable". We're not controlled by our instincts: we speak, we analyze, we experiment, we learn, we adapt, we create tools.

But there are some easily measured differences in this domain that are due to interactions between body chemistry and brain capabilities. Such as the readily observed and easily testable sex-linked differences in bonding (with mates and with children). Most people think these are important and socially relevant XX/XY differences. But they're not dependent on gross differences in brain structure.

Last edited:
The simple version: using "female brain", even as a joke, is likely to get you criticized.

BTW I'm not sure if tree was responding to you, thejuice, or both. But thejuice's post is worded defensively already.

The simple version: using "female brain", even as a joke, is likely to get you criticized.

BTW I'm not sure if tree was responding to you, thejuice, or both. But thejuice's post is worded defensively already.
I only insinuated or hypothesized that if there was one, that it’s hard to figure out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Threads

Top Bottom