• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Addiction and ridiculously strong cravings.

Metalhead

Video game and movie addict.
V.I.P Member
It has been months since my last drink. Yet here I am, it is the middle of the night, and most of what I can think about is how much I want an ice cold craft beer in my belly. Or a few of them, since I rarely ever stopped at one.

Luckily for me, it is illegal for me to purchase that at this hour in my state.

Anybody have any brilliant ideas on how to place my mind on another track?

Distraction is rather personal. I would probably deep dive research a new project or subject. And lately I've found ghost stories on YouTube to hold my interest. But you might get more out of jumping jacks!

When that specific craving hits, I normally get the 0.0% beer. Mostly just about the taste

That would only make my cravings for IPAs a lot stronger. Nice thought, though.

Distraction is rather personal. I would probably deep dive research a new project or subject. And lately I've found ghost stories on YouTube to hold my interest. But you might get more out of jumping jacks!

Maybe I need to hit the gym again right this very second and burn off all of this nervous energy.

Any craving will burn out. Usually it's over in minutes, even if it's intense. You just have to accept the craving, but divert your attention elsewhere. Something else that provides endorphins and positivity.

I was hit by some rather brutal cravings after many many months of sobriety. Heck, even at the 2 year mark, I occasionally get put through the ringer.

Just remember - it will pass. A few moments is nothing compared to a few months of sobriety. Ride the wave, allow the cravings to ebb and flow. They will eventually go. Yes, they will eventually return - but as time passes, they will gradually lessen in frequency and intensity.

Remind yourself why you are doing this - what benefits it has brought, and continues to bring. You are a better person without it.

Ed

Some of addiction is chemical. So don't beat yourself up. It's a struggle but exercise helps release you. The struggle is real. But it's great you workout now. You must pretty happy about this great choice.

Working out did not help with the cravings, but it did serve as a decent distraction while I was at the gym. Guess I have to ride this out the best I can.

Yeah. With me it's usually about ongoing my war with sugar and caffeine. It's tough...where your only real allies may be time and abstinence. Hang in there.

I find that cravings only linger while the possibility of giving into them exists. While it's obviously much easier said than done if I am able to get into a mind set where I am not even entertaining the idea of giving in then it's like my brain knows its wasting its time trying and gives up with the cravings. If I'm not able to do that then doing something practical which makes it impossible to give in at least for a period of time can have a similar effect.

I have lots of addictions and l love every single one of them. But reality says no. My brain says okay, just sugar and caffeine and don't call the one l am addicted too.

Last edited:
Budda says the more you try not to think of something the more it pops up in your thoughts. So l say maybe not.

Since it's been months, it must be a psychological craving, rather than a physiological one. Maybe you can think about what's going on in your life or in your head that is causing or facilitating this craving.

New Threads

Top Bottom