• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Add more options to diagnosis status.

BrokenBoy

戯言使い(Nonsense User)
I think there should be new options to reflect the new changes in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual. I just would like to change my dx status from "High Functioning Autism - Offically Diagnosed" to the more modern equivalent "Autism Spectrum Disorder Level 1 - Offically Diagnosed" or something like that.

Also I'm not calling for the removal of the other options just to make sure no one gets confused.

Why? It's just different words that mean the same thing. What difference does it make?
It could be another excuse for someone willing to dissmiss your diagnosis, like , iv done some research and this doesnt exist anymore, it problamy means you have nothing at all , the usual BS xD.

But yeah you dont have to say that to anyone anyway, just go with the current terms so that other can understand.

IIUC, the OP is just saying to add the DSM-5 vernacular, because new members would not know the equivalent in earlier terms. I think that it is a reasonable request.

Well, if it's listed in the diagnostic manual at all, it's "officially diagnosed" so that part is redundant and unhelpful.

No professional would diagnose you as "ASD unofficially diagnosed."

I think there should be new options to reflect the new changes in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual. I just would like to change my dx status from "High Functioning Autism - Offically Diagnosed" to the more modern equivalent "Autism Spectrum Disorder Level 1 - Offically Diagnosed" or something like that.

Also I'm not calling for the removal of the other options just to make sure no one gets confused.

It would appear that this is already built into the diagnostic process of the DSM-5. At least in accordance with the Communicable Disease Center (CDC):

"Note: Individuals with a well-established DSM-IV diagnosis of autistic disorder, Asperger’s disorder, or pervasive developmental disorder not otherwise specified should be given the diagnosis of autism spectrum disorder. Individuals who have marked deficits in social communication, but whose symptoms do not otherwise meet criteria for autism spectrum disorder, should be evaluated for social (pragmatic) communication disorder."

I guess in effect the CDC has effectively stripped those of you of your DSM-IV diagnosis. And if you exclaimed, "But that's still ambiguous!" They'd likely reply, "Yes- it is. By design." o_O

Diagnostic Criteria | Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) | NCBDDD | CDC

Last edited:
l personally would go complain about this but social communication disorder is preventing me now, l wonder if l can use this at work?

That's a whole different set of diagnoses!

.... were entrails involved?

Oh no. We used an old Kabala game we found at a yard sale. It's a whole lot cheaper then paying for the whole process and just as accurate I believe.

bc5339eabe5f4e5f788b0efe08a455e7.jpg

;)

I still wish the existing options had “Autistic Disorder” as an option instead of “classic autism” versus “high functioning autism” (or in addition, even) because those two terms can mean the same thing and be applied to the same person ....but since they are listed as separate pick-only-one-of-these options I figure they are supposed to refer to different things. I am too impaired to meet some people’s ideas of “high functioning autistic” and not impaired enough for some people’s ideas of “classically autistic” (it really seems to vary a lot, what people think and how people define things) but I was diagnosed with Autistic Disorder so if that had been an option like all the other actual/official DSM-IV PDD diagnoses I could have picked that and confusing unofficial labels/definitions would not be a consideration at all.

If l am classically autistic, l will start going to the opera in a pearl necklace! lol Who comes up with these titles?

Unfortunately whatever label we may use, what people will hear is blah blah blah RAINMAN blah blah blah.

If we update terms to comply with DSM-V, that will mean nixing PDD-NOS and Rett. I personally would be in favor of that, but others may not feel that way.

I still wish the existing options had “Autistic Disorder” as an option instead of “classic autism” versus “high functioning autism” (or in addition, even) because those two terms can mean the same thing and be applied to the same person ....but since they are listed as separate pick-only-one-of-these options I figure they are supposed to refer to different things.
I understood it as "classic" autism being a euphemism for "low-functioning" autism. (Mods/admins, please correct me if I'm wrong.)

If we update terms to comply with DSM-V, that will mean nixing PDD-NOS and Rett.
We don't have to do away with the old terms. They were accurate when some were diagnosed. Adding DSM-5 terms* would be helpful to those who have a recent diagnosis.

*Or adding them as an "a.k.a. ..."

We don't have to do away with the old terms. They were accurate when some were diagnosed. Adding DSM-5 terms* would be helpful to those who have a recent diagnosis.

*Or adding them as an "a.k.a. ..."

It seems to me that both the DSM IV terms AND the DSM 5 terms should be included, so that people diagnosed in both eras can accurately say what their diagnosis was. I do NOT think it makes sense to add them as an "a.k.a." because there is not a one-to-one correspondence between the old categories and the new categories.

New Threads

Top Bottom