• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Absent mindedness

Example. When I have unrelated thoughts and lay my spectacles or phone down, I lose them. This happens far too often. Both inconvienent and highly irritating.

Thoughts, please?

I know exactly what you mean. For example, sometimes when I am reading, my dog comes to beg for a snack. So I get up and get some tools out, and I can't find the screwdriver. Then I turn on the television and --- wait a second, what was the subject?

This happens to me quite a lot. I have a habit of putting things down and then forgetting them or losing them; as a kid I was always losing things. I don't carry a handbag when out - I don't even own a handbag, because if I did, I would surely put it down and then forget it or not be able to find it. Everything I need I carry in my pockets.

All the time.
I made a list once for a psychologist of how a day could go.
Example: I start to go to the mail box to get the mail.
I see a vase of flowers and stop to put water in then remember I left
some papers I needed in the car so I need the car key.
While looking for where I put the key, I see my glasses and think I will probably
need them and they are dirty so I have to clean them.
When doing that, I think of a load of laundry I need to wash...
On and on.

You get the idea.
By the end of the afternoon I remember I need to get the mail! :oops:

giphy-downsized-large (1).gif

Yes, yes, yes and I married someone just like me. :D

I thought that was called "Adult Attention Deficit Syndrome". :D I call it distractions from "birdies, squirrels, and shiny things". Busy running around doing things, but at the end of the day,...you are exhausted and didn't actually complete a single task. o_O:confused:

It's quite easy to fall into this type of routine. At work,...good Lord,...trying to get from point A to point B without 3 interruptions is nearly impossible. However, in order to get anything done you have to focus on "point B" and keep redirecting yourself. I know at the hospital, there are certain things that absolutely need to get done, so there is zero tolerance from anyone with regards to "I forgot" or "I got distracted". At home though,...this is where things can fall apart,...because frankly, most things at home are what you "want to get done", and not what absolutely "needs to get done".

Nearly everyone has their moments of being "scatter brained", forgetful, making stupid mistakes, etc. That certainly is not an ASD trait, per se. However, I might suggest that from the perspective of having a brain that is more likely to be in a state of "hyper excitability", neurotransmitter speaking,...and the anxiety and emotions, and sensory issues that come with that,...we may be more susceptible to unclear thinking. Taking care of your brain's health with proper diet, nutritional supplementation, rest, exercise,...and being very self-aware of your behavior, using your inner monologue...will help significantly with reducing these "attention deficit" moments.

Basically, as an autistic dealing with "executive functioning" issues,...you have to be very aware of the "intellectual laziness" that may occur if your inner monologue is not active and focused. To the best of my knowledge and experience, executive functioning is an "intellectually active" process,...not something that naturally occurs. As such, it can be mentally exhausting if you're doing this for long periods of time,...and why we need to be taking care of our brain health.

Last edited:
I thought that was called "Adult Attention Deficit Syndrome". :D I call it distractions from "birdies, squirrels, and shiny things". Busy running around doing things, but at the end of the day,...you are exhausted and didn't actually complete a single task. o_O:confused:

It's quite easy to fall into this type of routine. At work,...good Lord,...trying to get from point A to point B without 3 interruptions is nearly impossible. However, in order to get anything done you have to focus on "point B" and keep redirecting yourself. I know at the hospital, there are certain things that absolutely need to get done, so there is zero tolerance from anyone with regards to "I forgot" or "I got distracted". At home though,...this is where things can fall apart,...because frankly, most things at home are what you "want to get done", and not what absolutely "needs to get done".

Nearly everyone has their moments of being "scatter brained", forgetful, making stupid mistakes, etc. That certainly is not an ASD trait, per se. However, I might suggest that from the perspective of having a brain that is more likely to be in a state of "hyper excitability", neurotransmitter speaking,...and the anxiety and emotions, and sensory issues that come with that,...we may be more susceptible to unclear thinking. Taking care of your brain's health with proper diet, nutritional supplementation, rest, exercise,...and being very self-aware of your behavior, using your inner monologue...will help significantly with reducing these "attention deficit" moments.

Basically, as an autistic dealing with "executive functioning" issues,...you have to be very aware of the "intellectual laziness" that may occur if your inner monologue is not active and focused. To the best of my knowledge and experience, executive functioning is an "intellectually active" process,...not something that naturally occurs. As such, it can be mentally exhausting if you're doing this for long periods of time,...and why we need to be taking care of our brain health.
I certainly have the hyper thing going on. I can't pmaye spin more than 2 things at once, ideally 1 thing at a time. I am a serial processor! My job is constant distractions at times, even now I am permanently working from my home. If I'm focusing on something then get distracted, it knocks out my focus for a fair bit. Very annoying tbh. I've started physically slowing down with "executive functions", purposely concentrating on what I am doing.

I'm still taking SSRIs, could that be having a negative impact? I was thinking of edging my way of them but felt it was too soon after my recent discovery.

I'm still taking SSRIs, could that be having a negative impact? I was thinking of edging my way of them but felt it was too soon after my recent discovery.

If you do a scientific literature search on "SSRIs and executive functioning", most sources claim improvement.

My personal experience with autism symptomatology is that a significant amount of it can be minimized with a combination of proper diet, supplementation, exercise, and rest. Nothing is eliminated, for sure, but so far manageable without prescription medications. I am not, nor have I ever been on SSRIs, so I have no other comments in this regard.

One way I look at it is that usually your brain and body are linked, working together.

But the brain sometimes de-links and basically says to the body 'You finish up, or carry on here, I'm on to the next thing'

And sometimes that works, like if doing nothing or simple tasks like walking. But if not simple, anything can happen. The brain takes conciousness with it and the body is essentially blind and leaderless. Who can blame it really for pouring the hot tea water into the sugar bowl?

:D

Last edited:
If you do a scientific literature search on "SSRIs and executive functioning", most sources claim improvement.

My personal experience with autism symptomatology is that a significant amount of it can be minimized with a combination of proper diet, supplementation, exercise, and rest. Nothing is eliminated, for sure, but so far manageable without prescription medications. I am not, nor have I ever been on SSRIs, so I have no other comments in this regard.
There are many asoects of it that I want to keep. I'm figuring out how to juggle contradictory aspects. Also contacted an organisation today to get assessed / diagnosed.

One way I look at it is that usually your brain and body are linked, working together.

But the brain sometimes de-links and basically says to the body 'You finish up, or carry on here, I'm on to the next thing'

And sometimes that works, like if doing nothing or simple tasks like walking. But if not simple, anything can happen. The brain takes conciousness with it and the body is essentially blind and leaderless. Who can blaim it really for pouring the hot tea water into the sugar bowl?

:D
This makes sense to me. Thanks.

Also not living in the moment is just warped with mind explosions. Plus iif you are creative thinker then roping yourself in can be a bit of a gray area.

Also not living in the moment is just warped with mind explosions. Plus iif you are creative thinker then roping yourself in can be a bit of a gray area.
I get you. I am very much living in the moment now and carefully planning for the future. I've always been open minded, infuriatingly so at times. I feel confident now in arriving at firm conclusions re important matters.

...Nearly everyone has their moments of being "scatter brained", forgetful, making stupid mistakes, etc. That certainly is not an ASD trait, per se...

Do you know anyone with ASD who isn't naturally forgetful? I get you can improve it with great effort or when it's necessary but I don't think I've met anyone with ASD who never had problems with it.

Example. When I have unrelated thoughts and lay my spectacles or phone down, I lose them. This happens far too often. Both inconvienent and highly irritating.

Thoughts, please?
I got into the habit of putting each and every particular thing in what became their very particular places, which minimises mislaying things, or at least having to search for them in back-tracking search mode ~ as I have learnt to live very much by a very fixed schedule of ordered activities, given the stress of not so doing.

I usually lift my spectacles up to the top of my head, rather than putting them down anywhere during the day, or of course try using spectacle chains or cords and hanging them around one's neck instead.

Do you know anyone with ASD who isn't naturally forgetful? I get you can improve it with great effort or when it's necessary but I don't think I've met anyone with ASD who never had problems with it.

For context and perspective: I've never met a neurotypical who hasn't had problems with it, either.

If you finished my quote, I said,..."However, I might suggest that from the perspective of having a brain that is more likely to be in a state of "hyper excitability", neurotransmitter speaking,...and the anxiety and emotions, and sensory issues that come with that,...we may be more susceptible to unclear thinking."

Inflammation of brain and body can have serious effect that worsens over time. That is a popular idea and a lot books and articles are out there.

The fast food franchises and junk food companies don’t worry about much since so many people are addicted to their products already.

There seems to be validity to it scientifically.

@Neonatal RRT would know more as to specific dietary advise.

inflammation and asd

For context and perspective: I've never met a neurotypical who hasn't had problems with it, either.

I remember reading somewhere that 60% of autistic people have ADHD. Since it seems like everyone I know with ASD has significant attention deficits, I wonder if the other 40% have the same problems but weren't diagnosed because they were never evaluated for it.

If you finished my quote, I said,..."However, I might suggest that from the perspective of having a brain that is more likely to be in a state of "hyper excitability", neurotransmitter speaking,...and the anxiety and emotions, and sensory issues that come with that,...we may be more susceptible to unclear thinking."

I read it and thought about commenting but I've met people with ASD who appear to be the exact opposite. They act like robots who don't appear to have any emotions. They seem indifferent to people and don't seem to care what anyone thinks about them.

I read it and thought about commenting but I've met people with ASD who appear to be the exact opposite. They act like robots who don't appear to have any emotions. They seem indifferent to people and don't seem to care what anyone thinks about them.

That would be me. However, I don't appear to have any emotions because I am in a constant state of actively suppressing them,...especially around other people,...especially at work where life and death decision making can only occur with a clear mind absent of emotional influences. It's mentally exhausting because,...inside,...there can be a very emotional child that doesn't modulate his emotions well. For myself, I have to be in control,...I cannot allow emotions to interfere with my thinking and actions. I have never found emotions to be anything but a negative experience for me. I do come off as being indifferent and uncaring of what people think,...again, this is an emotional experience that I feel I must control and suppress.

So, to your point here,...at least in my case,...your observation of this type of behavior may be more of an active form of masking, rather than a natural state of being.

Amazing!! We have never met, and yet you describe me perfectly (very high functioning ASD, PDD-NOS, AD(no H)D).

New Threads

Top Bottom