• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Aberdeen restaurant under fire as autistic boy, 7, and mum left in tears over treatment

AGXStarseed

(Not written by me)

A family restaurant in Aberdeen has come under fire after refusing to cater for a seven-year-old autistic boy.

5a0bddac5e187-590x372.jpg

Johanna with sons Jack, 7, and Danny, 4.

Johanna Gowie was out for a meal at Dyce Farm at ABZ Business Park in Dyce with her fiance Stephen and two young children Danny, 4, and Jack, who is severely autistic.

The family requested to not be seated in the family area of the restaurant, fearing the noisy environment would be stressful for Jack.

Johanna, who lives in Bucksburn, said: “I explained Jack’s diagnosis – he has autism and ADHD, so he can be quite challenging.

“The family zone would have been completely overwhelming for him and all we wanted to do was stay away from other families so Jack could eat his meal in peace.”

She added she was told it was the restaurant’s policy and “they weren’t moving an inch”.

Johanna said: “You can’t do that to people in this day and age. Jack has a blue badge and he’s registered as disabled, but we should be able to go to our local restaurant and have a meal without this happening.

“Jack ended up having a meltdown and at that point there’s nothing you can do. He bites his hand when he’s frustrated as well, so he was physically injuring himself. It was awful.”

Johanna is now fighting to have the restaurant’s policy changed for future families with children with additional support needs.

She said: “I’ll never be going back to that restaurant regardless, but my main worry is that it could happen to others.

A spokeswoman for the restaurant today apologised to the family and pledged to change its policy in the future.

She said: “We are a family-friendly restaurant and strive to cater for any special requirements of our guests. We are very sorry for any distress caused to the guest and her family and we are currently working closely with her to implement new guidelines for our teams that will ensure this doesn’t happen in any of our restaurants again.”

The National Autism Society also expressed its concern over the incident and stressed the importance of raising awareness about the condition.

A spokeswoman for the charity said: “We are really sorry to hear that Johanna and her family were refused the option to sit in a quieter part of the restaurant, especially when they had explained that it was due to Jack’s autism. Autistic people can end up having meltdowns if they feel overloaded with too much information from lights, noise or other people.

“Almost half of autistic people say they often don’t leave the house because of the public’s reaction to them. That is why the National Autistic Society is working to improve understanding to ensure restaurants make the small adjustments that mean the 58,000 autistic people in Scotland can enjoy public places, just like everyone else.”

Source: https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp...-boy-7-and-mum-left-in-tears-over-treatment1/

There are far too many stories about businesses failing to accomodate people with disabilities who have perfectly reasonable requests. There shouldn't need to be a policy in place in order to treat people with dignity and respect.

I tend to stay away from all family restaurants because of the noise from children. They should go to a normal restaurant during 4PM since most people aren't eating at that time.

Not reading the article yet, but Aberdeen just sucks! I used to live there and I’m not turning back.

I'm not trying to stir up trouble, @AGXStarseed, but you should know that posting articles in their entirety violates copyright law. There is such a thing as Fair Use, but that is limited to a maximum of 10% of an article. The reason for these laws is that news outlets are businesses so they need advertising dollars to stay in business. Posting the entire article on this forum deprives these media outlets of that business opportunity (that is, readers going to their website and clicking on the ads). The news industry has been hemorrhaging profitability for years now and eventually could disappear without our support. That would be a shame.

Another thing to consider: you usually post several of these articles one right after another, which takes up most of the New Threads section, thus crowding out other new threads that may have just posted and rendering that section useless (sometimes for up to several hours) until newer threads come along. Maybe you could do one daily round up of collected articles and put them all in one post with a brief description/opinion of each and a link to the source webpage.

Finally (and hopefully a more positive note) I'm much more interested in learning about what YOU think about these articles. Instead of copying/pasting the whole thing and not commenting, why not write a paragraph or two that explains your thoughts/opinions about an article and then link to the original article?

Thanks in advance for your consideration.

(Not written by me)

A family restaurant in Aberdeen has come under fire after refusing to cater for a seven-year-old autistic boy.

5a0bddac5e187-590x372.jpg

Johanna with sons Jack, 7, and Danny, 4.

Johanna Gowie was out for a meal at Dyce Farm at ABZ Business Park in Dyce with her fiance Stephen and two young children Danny, 4, and Jack, who is severely autistic.

The family requested to not be seated in the family area of the restaurant, fearing the noisy environment would be stressful for Jack.

Johanna, who lives in Bucksburn, said: “I explained Jack’s diagnosis – he has autism and ADHD, so he can be quite challenging.

“The family zone would have been completely overwhelming for him and all we wanted to do was stay away from other families so Jack could eat his meal in peace.”

She added she was told it was the restaurant’s policy and “they weren’t moving an inch”.

Johanna said: “You can’t do that to people in this day and age. Jack has a blue badge and he’s registered as disabled, but we should be able to go to our local restaurant and have a meal without this happening.

“Jack ended up having a meltdown and at that point there’s nothing you can do. He bites his hand when he’s frustrated as well, so he was physically injuring himself. It was awful.”

Johanna is now fighting to have the restaurant’s policy changed for future families with children with additional support needs.

She said: “I’ll never be going back to that restaurant regardless, but my main worry is that it could happen to others.

A spokeswoman for the restaurant today apologised to the family and pledged to change its policy in the future.

She said: “We are a family-friendly restaurant and strive to cater for any special requirements of our guests. We are very sorry for any distress caused to the guest and her family and we are currently working closely with her to implement new guidelines for our teams that will ensure this doesn’t happen in any of our restaurants again.”

The National Autism Society also expressed its concern over the incident and stressed the importance of raising awareness about the condition.

A spokeswoman for the charity said: “We are really sorry to hear that Johanna and her family were refused the option to sit in a quieter part of the restaurant, especially when they had explained that it was due to Jack’s autism. Autistic people can end up having meltdowns if they feel overloaded with too much information from lights, noise or other people.

“Almost half of autistic people say they often don’t leave the house because of the public’s reaction to them. That is why the National Autistic Society is working to improve understanding to ensure restaurants make the small adjustments that mean the 58,000 autistic people in Scotland can enjoy public places, just like everyone else.”

Source: Aberdeen restaurant under fire as autistic boy, 7, and mum left in tears over treatment - Evening Express
Did this occur in Aberdeen Washington and thats wrong of the restuarant to treatfellow aspie customers that way. I wish the family gets free food and drinks sent to them for the restuarants rude service.

I'm not trying to stir up trouble, @AGXStarseed, but you should know that posting articles in their entirety violates copyright law. There is such a thing as Fair Use, but that is limited to a maximum of 10% of an article. The reason for these laws is that news outlets are businesses so they need advertising dollars to stay in business. Posting the entire article on this forum deprives these media outlets of that business opportunity (that is, readers going to their website and clicking on the ads). The news industry has been hemorrhaging profitability for years now and eventually could disappear without our support. That would be a shame.

Another thing to consider: you usually post several of these articles one right after another, which takes up most of the New Threads section, thus crowding out other new threads that may have just posted and rendering that section useless (sometimes for up to several hours) until newer threads come along. Maybe you could do one daily round up of collected articles and put them all in one post with a brief description/opinion of each and a link to the source webpage.

Finally (and hopefully a more positive note) I'm much more interested in learning about what YOU think about these articles. Instead of copying/pasting the whole thing and not commenting, why not write a paragraph or two that explains your thoughts/opinions about an article and then link to the original article?

Thanks in advance for your consideration.

Hi Beguiling Orbit,
I genuinely wasn't aware of this; I've never had any complaints from any of the Admins here about it and considering I've been doing this for over four years with no issue, it's not really crossed my mind until now. Heck, I've had people thanking me in the past for posting these articles as they may not have seen them if I hadn't posted them.

Your idea of just doing a 'round-up' article of several news stories to use the fair use law and save space is interesting and one I'll consider.
However, I won't be putting my own opinions on it. The reason being is that I'm not on Aspiescentral a lot - on weekends, I just pop in every now and then while on weekdays, I visit the page on my lunch break when I'm at work.
It's at this time (about 1:00pm GMT) when I post the news articles and I have to post them quickly as I only have a 20-30 minute lunch break - so there's no time for me to be writing a few paragraphs about what I personally think of each article.

I do comment on some of the articles I post, but I much prefer to be the observer in most cases to see what everyone else thinks who comment on the articles. That's just my preference.

Has a nice day/night. :)

New Threads

Top Bottom